• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jester and Nimbus update

Spnfox

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathy
Jester and nimbus are doing great, jester has really turnee around and has become quite the comical little girl. She likes to play with a little pink soccer ball and a jingle cat toy , made of colorful hard plastic.

Shes enjoying her flight freedom now, and now i cant leave her anywhere for more then a second before shew fluttering after me or my bf.

20160919_023821.jpg

20160918_172923.jpg
As for Nimbus, we made a tiny bit of progress, i took him out of his cage and just kind of held him. He sat there and allowed me.to pet him softly, even fell asleep. But if i moved my hand he was running back to his cage.

I had to gently scoop him back out, calm him back down. And he fell asleep again before once again getting spooked and running back to his cage.

So i left him be for now, and made him a hidey hut to sleep in out of an old shoe box. He took to it rather instantly. It made him feel all the bit more safer. I just hope he doesnt choose to hide in there forever and never want to interact with me.

Hopefully he will see that my hands arent here to hurt him, and provide yummy food and head scritches.

I just wanna luv you!!

20160919_222530.jpg

20160919_104653.jpg 20160919_112025.jpg

Patience will bring this a long way, but hes still young and aside from his flighty behavior, i feel like he would be such a cuddle bug if he could understand that im not here to hurt him . Lol

Its been such a long time since ive tamed an unfriendly bird/scared/aggressive but ive done it before, ao i just have to hope for the best and keep on working with him.

Hopefully the interactions with watching me play with Jester infront of his open door to his cage will make him more comfortable.

Hes already showing the ability to come down and eat near me when im feeding jester.

So thats a start!!

Masquerade

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I just want to say your babies are adorable, and while I do have a little boy lovebird of my own, looking at these pictures makes me want a whole flock of them!

I think you're doing the right thing, never pushing beyond what's comfortable for him. My boy was hand tamed when I got him but even then it took a while for him to trust me, and now I can't get him to leave me alone! (he's snuggled down my top as I'm typing this).

Congrats on your two beautiful babies and I hope you have many wonderful years with them.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Such beautiful birds.

Spnfox

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathy
@Masquerade

Omg trust me, if i could have more love birds i soooo would. I had a little yellow red faced one a little while back. He was my best friend. His name was strawberry lemonade.

That little bird was our baby. And i loved him to death. But one day one of my dogs escaped his crate, and knocked his cage down , broke into it trying to eat the bird food im assuming since he had a habit of eating bird food. And i guess the fluttering of the bird caught his attention.

Long story short, we came home to a wrecked house and remains of a beak and some feathers on my bed..

We were devistated, needless to say, the dog is no longer in my house. My husky, who is known for pray drive, had never done this, so it baffled me that a boxer mix who had no interest in the birds even when loose, suddenly felt the need to eat one of my birds. More so that he was in his own cage and not loose. ..

Took me forever to decide to get another lovebird again... but here i am with two now @_@. And i love them both so much, but noone will replace my little yellow sunshine .

20160827_131749_001.jpg

He was so precious. I miss him.

Sad story aside, im definitelybready to start again, and i love my new babies.

Now i just have to distribute my love around lol, having two love birds a cockatiel a ringneck and a quaker is quite the hand full.

Not to mention my husky, a snake, 3 bearded dragons and 4 creasted geckos haha..

Call me ace ventura !!! ;)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@Masquerade

Omg trust me, if i could have more love birds i soooo would. I had a little yellow red faced one a little while back. He was my best friend. His name was strawberry lemonade.

That little bird was our baby. And i loved him to death. But one day one of my dogs escaped his crate, and knocked his cage down , broke into it trying to eat the bird food im assuming since he had a habit of eating bird food. And i guess the fluttering of the bird caught his attention.

Long story short, we came home to a wrecked house and remains of a beak and some feathers on my bed..

We were devistated, needless to say, the dog is no longer in my house. My husky, who is known for pray drive, had never done this, so it baffled me that a boxer mix who had no interest in the birds even when loose, suddenly felt the need to eat one of my birds. More so that he was in his own cage and not loose. ..

Took me forever to decide to get another lovebird again... but here i am with two now @_@. And i love them both so much, but noone will replace my little yellow sunshine .

View attachment 233025

Now i just have to distribute my love around lol, having two love birds a cockatiel a ringneck and a quaker is quite the hand full.

Not to mention my husky, a snake, 3 bearded dragons and 4 creasted geckos haha..

I have a Galah cockatoo, 2 tiels, a BH Pionus, a Senegal, a Hahns macaw, 6 cats and a Husky + 2 fish tanks and a koi pond.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@Masquerade

View attachment 233025

I am so, so sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

Masquerade

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Oh what a terrible story, I'm sorry that happened =(

I only have three pets, a lovebird, a ringneck and a cockatiel and I love them all to bits, but my lovebird has really captured my heart, lol. He had an accident a year ago and started plucking. Had so many vet trips and nothing could sort it out and then one day he just decided he was over his anxiety. He plucks a tiny bit now but not much and his feathers are coming back in, albeit slowly. Maybe most people don't think he's that pretty but to me he's the cutest little thing I've ever seen.

If I ever get to the point where I can have more birds I'm definitely getting another lovie!

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
I am bringing home my first lovebird this weekend! I cannot wait, but know it is is going to be a transition for him. That part makes me sad. He has been living with his brothers, sisters, and cousins. At my house he will be the only bird. :eek: But, we do have 4 dogs and lots of toys to keep him company. I sometimes think about getting a brother or sister to bring home with him, but I know I should just concentrate on Ivan for now. :handup:

Spnfox

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathy
@SamandWilley

As long as he has you, im sure he will be fine. They usually meed alot of attention and always want to be with you. My little girl Jester is now constantly flying onto us because she wants to be with us.

Im still working with Nimbus, hes still super skittish, but at least he somewhat is ok with sitting in my lap as long as my hands dont come at him too fast.

IMG_20160922_001845.jpg IMG_20160922_002150.jpg

Hes coming along :)

Spnfox

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathy
More progress!!! Nimbus last night ( aside from having to force him out of his cage) once he was out , he actually sat on my finger in a normal stance, vs his usually squatted scared pose, and bowed his head for me to give him head scratches !!!

progress is progress !!!