• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jericho broke Marvin's foot

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a nightmare that was bad enough reading. Hopefully the outcome will be positive Steve.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Friday update

I'm picking up Marvin at 3:30pm (a little less than 3 hours from now).
They reduced the size of her cone so it's still blocking her from pulling at the bandage, but smaller to allow better eating/drinking/balance.
They also gavage fed her today, so it'll be good to have her home for some TLC in familiar surroundings.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Friday update

I'm picking up Marvin at 3:30pm (a little less than 3 hours from now).
They reduced the size of her cone so it's still blocking her from pulling at the bandage, but smaller to allow better eating/drinking/balance.
They also gavage fed her today, so it'll be good to have her home for some TLC in familiar surroundings.
Thats good news.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be safe on the road. I know you and Marvin will feel better nice she’s home!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Wishing Marvin the best outcome.

Jin & Pic

Moving in
So sorry this happened. Hope the Marvin's foot heals and he fully recovers.
My red-bellied parrot, Lucy, got out of her cage and got bitten probably by my yellow-nape.
Wound up with a broken toe which was vet wrapped but then the ligament wound up sticking
out and had to be cut. She can still use the toe, though.
Probably best not to leave Jericho out with the other birds if he is being aggressive.
I'm so very sorry for what happened but commend you for getting such wonderful care for Marvin. Glad you had a friend with you, too. Many good thoughts for complete and speedy healing for your little one!! May she have no further complications and heal up just fine!

I would add @iamwhoiam 's thoughts to your key takeaway list. Even after she's healed maybe Marvin will need to not be out with the other two unsupervised, with a GCC being so much smaller than a severe or military macaw, or maybe just keep Jericho separate, whatever's safest. Hopefully the behaviorist/professional you mentioned will have some good advice, after the acute situation is over and Marvin is well on the road to recovery.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Friday evening update

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

We're home.

The main highway we would use for the return trip was closed midway home, so the 2 hour drive extended to a little more than 3 hours.
The GPS diverted us over uneven roads and I was acutely aware of every bump felt in my impractical stiffly-sprung car until we returned to steady flow.
I have a blister on my right heel from stop and go traffic, but somehow that feels right and sympathetic to Marvin's ordeal.

Marvin is in her hospital cage to my right and I can hear her beak grinding, so that's making me happy.

PXL_20230609_231242881.jpg
(some low-rim bowls to make things more accessible...
... smaller versions of her favourite pellets because she can't hold-and-chew the larger version...
... crushed walnuts and some blueberries, which were the first things she went for)​

The hospital cage is Jericho's carrier, with a folded towel for padding, and a paper layer above for cleaning and to avoid snagging claws.

Medications
  • Baytril banana 12/5 MG/ML (antibiotic) -- 0.05 mls every 12 hours for 21 days.
  • Metacam 1.5 MG/ML (anti-inflammatory and pain) -- 0.02 mls every 12 hours for 14 days.
Followup is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. I am a bit concerned after viewing the x-rays of the bone after the splint was applied. To my untrained eye, the alignment is much better than the original break, however the surface area contact between the two pieces looks like it could be improved. I know nothing about broken bones and don't know how much contact is necessary (I've read, "the gap must be less than 800 μm to 1 mm", so perhaps my concern is unfounded), so I'll have this question on Tuesday for the head avian vet who hasn't yet been involved in Marvin's case

I will trust the experts during Marvin's treatment, but share those thoughts here for transparency.

Fractures heal in three overlapping stages:
  • Inflammation
  • Repair
  • Remodeling
In the inflammatory stage, healing begins immediately after the fracture. Cells of the immune system move to the injured area to remove damaged tissue, bone fragments, and blood that leaked from broken blood vessels.
The immune cells release substances that attract more immune cells, increase blood flow to the area, and cause more fluids to enter the damaged area. As a result, the area around the fracture becomes inflamed—red, swollen, and tender.
The inflammatory process peaks in a couple of days, but it takes weeks to subside. This process causes most of the pain people feel soon after a fracture.
During this stage and the repair stage, the fractured body part often needs to be kept from moving (immobilized)—for example, with a cast or splint.
The repair stage begins within days after the injury and lasts for weeks to months. New bone (called callus) is made to repair the fracture. At first, this new bone, called the external callus, does not contain any calcium (a mineral that gives bone its strength and density). This new bone is soft and rubbery. Thus, it can be damaged easily and may allow the healing bone to slip out of place (be displaced). Also, it cannot be seen on x-rays.
In the remodeling stage, bone is broken down, rebuilt, and restored to its former state. Remodeling takes many months. Calcium is deposited in the callus, which then becomes much stiffer and stronger and easier to see on x-rays, and the normal shape and structure of the bone are restored.

That's for humans, so I'll be seeking better understanding on Tuesday.

Here are the splinted images.

1686360140284.png
1686360186929.png
1686360225756.png

In the meantime, I need to watch her skin tone above and below the bandage for changes in colour (pink is good, while swelling or purple and black are bad).

Cage rest is ordered until advised otherwise by vet.

Costs

I received a refund on my 2nd invoice, so the total vet bill so far is $1447.65 to get us to this point, but further consultations will be needed before we're done.

That's as much as I want to type with one hand, so now I'll wake this girl for her evening doses.

PXL_20230610_013202774~2.jpg
(this was her position for much of this note, so please excuse the typos)​

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for the update! I continue to wish for best that things go smoothly

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the update! I am glad she seems to be doing well and is beak grinding and falling asleep in your hand, what an absolute treasure she is!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Friday evening update

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

We're home.

The main highway we would use for the return trip was closed midway home, so the 2 hour drive extended to a little more than 3 hours.
The GPS diverted us over uneven roads and I was acutely aware of every bump felt in my impractical stiffly-sprung car until we returned to steady flow.
I have a blister on my right heel from stop and go traffic, but somehow that feels right and sympathetic to Marvin's ordeal.

Marvin is in her hospital cage to my right and I can hear her beak grinding, so that's making me happy.

View attachment 430525
(some low-rim bowls to make things more accessible...
... smaller versions of her favourite pellets because she can't hold-and-chew the larger version...
... crushed walnuts and some blueberries, which were the first things she went for)​

The hospital cage is Jericho's carrier, with a folded towel for padding, and a paper layer above for cleaning and to avoid snagging claws.

Medications
  • Baytril banana 12/5 MG/ML (antibiotic) -- 0.05 mls every 12 hours for 21 days.
  • Metacam 1.5 MG/ML (anti-inflammatory and pain) -- 0.02 mls every 12 hours for 14 days.
Followup is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. I am a bit concerned after viewing the x-rays of the bone after the splint was applied. To my untrained eye, the alignment is much better than the original break, however the surface area contact between the two pieces looks like it could be improved. I know nothing about broken bones and don't know how much contact is necessary (I've read, "the gap must be less than 800 μm to 1 mm", so perhaps my concern is unfounded), so I'll have this question on Tuesday for the head avian vet who hasn't yet been involved in Marvin's case

I will trust the experts during Marvin's treatment, but share those thoughts here for transparency.

Fractures heal in three overlapping stages:
  • Inflammation
  • Repair
  • Remodeling
In the inflammatory stage, healing begins immediately after the fracture. Cells of the immune system move to the injured area to remove damaged tissue, bone fragments, and blood that leaked from broken blood vessels.
The immune cells release substances that attract more immune cells, increase blood flow to the area, and cause more fluids to enter the damaged area. As a result, the area around the fracture becomes inflamed—red, swollen, and tender.
The inflammatory process peaks in a couple of days, but it takes weeks to subside. This process causes most of the pain people feel soon after a fracture.
During this stage and the repair stage, the fractured body part often needs to be kept from moving (immobilized)—for example, with a cast or splint.
The repair stage begins within days after the injury and lasts for weeks to months. New bone (called callus) is made to repair the fracture. At first, this new bone, called the external callus, does not contain any calcium (a mineral that gives bone its strength and density). This new bone is soft and rubbery. Thus, it can be damaged easily and may allow the healing bone to slip out of place (be displaced). Also, it cannot be seen on x-rays.
In the remodeling stage, bone is broken down, rebuilt, and restored to its former state. Remodeling takes many months. Calcium is deposited in the callus, which then becomes much stiffer and stronger and easier to see on x-rays, and the normal shape and structure of the bone are restored.

That's for humans, so I'll be seeking better understanding on Tuesday.

Here are the splinted images.

In the meantime, I need to watch her skin tone above and below the bandage for changes in colour (pink is good, while swelling or purple and black are bad).

Cage rest is ordered until advised otherwise by vet.

Costs

I received a refund on my 2nd invoice, so the total vet bill so far is $1447.65 to get us to this point, but further consultations will be needed before we're done.

That's as much as I want to type with one hand, so now I'll wake this girl for her evening doses.

View attachment 430536
(this was her position for much of this note, so please excuse the typos)​
Wow, she has lots of orange feathers!! She's a GCC, isn't she?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks so content and happy to be home with you. Wishing her a smooth and quick recovery.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Aww what a lucky little girl to have you taking such good care of her. Wishing a speedy recovery :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so sorry.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Saturday afternoon update.

We both had a good long sleep after the long day of travel yesterday.
Breakfast was well eaten and he poops look normal, so that's a great sign.

Our morning routine is changed slightly so that I can tend to Marvin with some priority, so it's Oscar first (which is quick) so I can fully focus on Marvin**, and then Jericho is attended to.

Focus on Marvin means taking her out to look her over, remove the soiled paper liner, refresh water, medicate and then back into the cage for breakfast.
She's taking her medications fairly well, all things considered.

The colour of her limb looks normal, and she can feel it when I gently touch an exposed toe (awesome!).

When she's awake in my hand she uses that opportunity to get a good angle and pull at her collar, so she gets some itchy head scratches and then back to the quiet of her hospital cage.

I think the best sign is she chirps her little anxious where-you-going? chips whenever I stand up and move out of her sight (her cage is currently beside my desk so she can easily watch me).

So far, she's content to be quiet and rest, which is good because she's quite unstable and I don't expect that to change much until the splint and collar are removed.