• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jericho broke Marvin's foot

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
TL;DR - Marvin's doing ok after receiving proper care, but she's got some healing to do.

Wednesday June 7

I was in the kitchen and about to get ready to leave for dinner when I heard Jericho fly to a rope perch where Marvin was sitting -- then, Marvin's squawk.
Looking up, I briefly saw Jericho had Marvin's leg in his mouth for at least a second before letting go and she flew off.

Normally Marvin flies away from Jericho with no issue, but my theory is one of her nails got stuck in the rope perch and that delayed her escape.

She landed clumsily on another perch, and she let me pick her up. She laid back against my palm and I could see her foot was bloody and abnormally twisted.

I retrieved her small carrier and placed her there while I called around for assistance.

My regular avian vet has started practicing at various clinics so I never know where he is on any given day (clearly I need a way to figure this out) -- both places I called said he wasn't in.
The closest avian vet was closed, but I left a message and was impressed that he called me back almost immediately and confirmed that Guelph was probably the best place to go.
Campus Estates in Guelph is set up for avian emergencies and they were able to see us at 7:30pm that evening.

Marvin's foot was still oozing blood which I helped clot with cornstarch before putting her back in her travel carrier.

Throughout the ordeal, she was alert, but obviously very protective of her foot.

1686250556078.png

All that happened between 3 and 3:30pm.

We left home around 5pm to make the 2 hour drive.

Once we were seen, Marvin was given pain meds, and then sedated so images could be taken to get a better look at what was going on.

There are always risks from sedation, and they're greater for smaller species, and greater still for birds who have experienced recent trauma, but it's necessary to chart the path forward.

1686250785917.png

According to the AV I was speaking with, that section of Tarsometatarsus bone is quite small, so it doesn't lend itself to being pinned, but it can be splinted so that's the approach we decided on.

During this discussion, they mentioned that it's more common to see breaks in the longer Tibiotarsus and for breaks there it's common to insert a pin to assist in healing, plus they also commented that surgery for pin insertion would need to be referred to and performed by 404 Veterinary Emergency and Referral Hospital in Newmarket (filed away if needed).

The complication with Marvin's case is the soft tissue damage is extensive enough that it needs to be monitored, so they can't fully harden the splint like they would for just a break.
We're also hopeful there isn't much crush damage to the bone so it has enough surface area to fuse back together.
The other thing we need to watch for is if the foot turns from pink to purple to black, then the blood flow to the foot has been compromised and will need to be amputated.
  • Best case, she has a functional foot after it fully heals.
  • Lesser outcome, the bone and blood allows the bone to heal, but there is nerve damage so the foot may be gimpy.
  • Another lesser outcome is the soft tissue damage requires the amputation of the foot and Marvin has a peg leg with that long intact tibiotarsus.
  • Worst case outcome is she doesn't survive one of the future sedations she'll need to apply and maintain the splint.
They are keeping her overnight confined in an incubator supplying supplemental heat and oxygen.
The splint may be applied tonight, or in the morning depending on how she is responding.
If all goes well, I'll be picking her up tomorrow, but she needs to be re-checked in about 4 days to see how things are aligning and how her soft tissues are.

I returned home by 11:30pm to a dark house with my 2 boys, minus my little girl.

Thursday June 8

The update this morning is Marvin had the splint applied and is in a cone to stop her from chewing it.
Those two things are making her unsteady and they recommended she stays overnight again so I agreed.
Apparently she fell face first into some food and started eating, so that's a good sign.

I'm spending the day preparing a hospital cage where she can heal for 4 weeks.

It's abnormally quiet around the house, and I miss Marvin landing on my head.

Costs
  • Emergency exam, pain meds and radiograph - $705.41
  • Splint, more radiographs, more medication, overnight monitoring - $1391.33
  • Gas - $50
  • Starbucks coffee and light meal while waiting - $10
  • Dinner friend who met me in Guelph and stayed with me the entire time - no charge, and priceless
Key takeaways

I should have trimmed Marvin's nails as soon as I noticed she sometimes got them stuck on my clothes.
I'll need to seek professional help with Jericho's aggressive behaviour that's directed at Marvin and Oscar (worse currently due to the season).
The cost of proper care for our animal companions far exceeds the initial acquisition.

That's where things stand currently, but I'll update as new information emerges.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no, poor little Marvin! I'm glad you were able to get assistance so quickly, even with a 2 hour drive. I'm sure that certainly helps her chances of a good outcome.

Hoping her recovery goes smoothly :hug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry this happened. Hope the Marvin's foot heals and he fully recovers.
My red-bellied parrot, Lucy, got out of her cage and got bitten probably by my yellow-nape.
Wound up with a broken toe which was vet wrapped but then the ligament wound up sticking
out and had to be cut. She can still use the toe, though.
Probably best not to leave Jericho out with the other birds if he is being aggressive.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness poor Marvin! I'm so very sorry this happened. Thank goodness she's stable and doing well. I'll think all the good thoughts for her.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poor girl!! Great of you to share your story. Glad a friend was there to support you, it must have been scary when she was sedated.
I am rooting for Marvin’s speedy recovery. Hope you find a way to manage Jericho’s behaviour better. When a parrot has an idea in their head it’s hard to change it:)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry!! I hope Mervin's responses to treatment well and you don't have to amputated it. Thanks for the breakdown of treatment and cost, definitely educational. I wish the best outcome for you all

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg poor sweet Marvin, I am so sad to hear she got to experience that and I really hope that she is not going through too much pain and discomfort, I hope she recovers perfectly with no hiccups or dramas.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Thursday evening update

They're still observing Marvin and the primary concern is with the cone since she'll need to wear that for the duration of the healing process.
They want to ensure it's large enough to stop her from picking at the bandage, but small enough to allow her to eat/drink and manoeuvre with her beak without tipping over.

Currently it may be a little too large and they will probably adjust it between now and tomorrow's discharge.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m just so sorry that your sweet Marvin was injured! It sounds like it has been a very anxious and stressful couple of days. You have a very kind and supportive friend. That is priceless. Prayers for your sweet girl!

Kelpie067

Meeting neighbors
Poor Marvin! I’m glad to hear she’s getting the proper care, but so sorry you and she are going through this. I’m wishing all the best for you both!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Is Marvin’s long term prognosis good?!
Our AV suggested the splint course of action because she thought the likelihood of a good outcome was high.

I confirmed during this evening's call that more x-rays were taken after the splint was in place to help ensure proper bone alignment.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no. I hope she heals quickly.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Jujube had to wear a cone while his toe healed from surgery. Tiniest cone I’ve ever seen! Juju couldn’t preen while wearing it, and he went on a marathon preening session once it came off. Budgie feathers everywhere! Marvin won’t be happy about it, but she will adjust once they find the right fit.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Oh that was an ordeal just reading about it so I can only imagine living through it has taken a toll. I’m grateful for your write-up: it helped me think through some scenarios and better assess the prep I need to do. I’m really glad for the priceless friend —I think my friends know I’m more likely to need support if one of my birds is hurt than if I am injured.
I’m also glad that so far no more sedation has been necessary. I’m wishing all of you the best. Keep us updated.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Steven, it must be very distressing... Praying for Marvin. Please keep us updated.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor Marvin Girl. Heal quickly dear.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I just saw this and it was so sad to hear about wee Marvin.
Hopefully the splint will work so she doesn't require an amputation. She must be in alot of pain, poor wee girl.
Praying for a positive outcome for you.
Naughty Jericho. :(

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope Marvin gets through everything smoothly and recovers.