• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java isn't doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Along with his possible PDD issue consider food allergies. My B&G has kidney disease & can no longer eat any pistachios or she vomits. Eating just one pistachio can throw her into several bad days in a row. It's like a major flare up.

Equa Holistics makes a dairy free probiotic for parrots. I use this on my B&G Macaw. You can sprinkle it on food or mix it in soft foods like unsweetened apple sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, etc.: Amazon.com : HealthyGut Avian Probiotics | 120 Servings | Dairy Free : Pet Supplies This really helps her when she vomits or is having bad days.

Camomile Tea helps to calm the stomach as well.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your kinds words. Lately, I've been taking a few moments out each day to do something for myself, usually it's to go outside for a little while or just order myself a pizza. I spoke with Dr. Dixon's tech and they gave me a few options we could test for for Java. One being to test him for metal poisoning, the other being an AGY test, and the last being a radiograph with contrast. So, I'm hopeful that something will turn up. If everything comes back normal, then at least I would have tried, and it'll be easier to accept the ABV diagnosis. Thank you, everyone. I will continue to update this thread as we test and find out what's going on.
I forgot to mention that my conure loved eating FENNEL SEEDS which I used to eat to soothe my gut and for her they were a special treat. Perhaps they could soothe your little bird's gut. You can buy them in the spice section of the grocery store. They really are refreshing for us too. Good luck. Ann

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I forgot to mention that my conure loved eating FENNEL SEEDS which I used to eat to soothe my gut and for her they were a special treat. Perhaps they could soothe your little bird's gut. You can buy them in the spice section of the grocery store. They really are refreshing for us too. Good luck. Ann
I'll give them a try next time I go to the grocery store. Thank you.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Along with his possible PDD issue consider food allergies. My B&G has kidney disease & can no longer eat any pistachios or she vomits. Eating just one pistachio can throw her into several bad days in a row. It's like a major flare up.

Equa Holistics makes a dairy free probiotic for parrots. I use this on my B&G Macaw. You can sprinkle it on food or mix it in soft foods like unsweetened apple sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, etc.: Amazon.com : HealthyGut Avian Probiotics | 120 Servings | Dairy Free : Pet Supplies This really helps her when she vomits or is having bad days.

Camomile Tea helps to calm the stomach as well.
I thought about possible allergies but I don't think that's the case since it happens no matter what he's eating. Lately I've been giving him Cool & Soothe from Greywood Manor which is a blend of avian teas that help inflammation. Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know Java best. Remember that.

We just plug away at life and we do the best we can for those we love with the knowledge available.

Take those moments of enjoyment that make you smile.....watch a sunset, smell the fresh cut grass, even the simple walk in the rain or splashing in a puddle. Life can be good even in this depressing age of the virus.

Personally I'm starting to watch black and white TV programs (ahhhhh Mayberry....).

Yeah, I'm taking things one step at a time, even though some days are harder than others. For now, I'm managing.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java had his final injection on Friday as well as an AGY test. I'll know the results in a week or so. The next step after we get the results is to start him on Celebrex. I still intend to have him tested for metal poisoning and have the radiograph with contrast done. After all of that is done, I will have him retested again for PDD and go from there.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hang in there!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The results for the AGY test came back negative.
This is good to know Brittany. Overall, is he doing better?

You are in my thoughts Girl. Please give Java Bean some scritches from me :heart: :swoon:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is good to know Brittany. Overall, is he doing better?

You are in my thoughts Girl. Please give Java Bean some scritches from me :heart: :swoon:
He's only thrown up maybe 2 or 3 times since this whole thing started. Otherwise, he's been dealing with the woes of hormones but he's still in good spirits and still very much a big baby. Since he's spending more time clinging to his bars, he's had a lot of poop stuck to his tail, which means I have to give him a full shower at least twice a week. I have to do this in the bathroom, and he's getting used to it, even though he still doesn't really appreciate being away from his cage. Other than that, he's the same old Java.

Thank you for your thoughts, and I'll be sure to give him extra attention, and hope breeding season will soon come to a screeching halt.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
He's only thrown up maybe 2 or 3 times since this whole thing started. Otherwise, he's been dealing with the woes of hormones but he's still in good spirits and still very much a big baby. Since he's spending more time clinging to his bars, he's had a lot of poop stuck to his tail, which means I have to give him a full shower at least twice a week. I have to do this in the bathroom, and he's getting used to it, even though he still doesn't really appreciate being away from his cage. Other than that, he's the same old Java.

Thank you for your thoughts, and I'll be sure to give him extra attention, and hope breeding season will soon come to a screeching halt.
Good to hear that this vomiting has only been a few times. Sorry he has to have more showers, but showers are good for him. Take care, and please update us when you can. :heart:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Small update: Java started the Celebrex 4 days ago, which he's taking okay. It's a liquid suspension and Tutti Fruitti flavor but he isn't enthusiastic about it. It's too early to tell if it's doing anything, but I like to believe it's helping. The next step, within the next few weeks hopefully, will be to take him back to the vet for a radiograph with contrast and the metal poisoning test. After all of that, I will have him retested for PDD. For now, he is doing well and hasn't thrown up in a while.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is very encouraging good news!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award