• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java isn't doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey, everyone, haven't been on in a while. Got a lot going on. Java hasn't been feeling well these last few weeks so I took him to the vet on the 10th due to vomiting. Had blood work and an X-ray done and everything came back fine. Dr. Dixon recently tested him for PDD and we're waiting for the results, even though he doubts he has it. For my peace of mind, I wanted the test done. One thing that showed up on the blood work is that Java's protein levels was very low. So, I'm adding animal-based protein to his diet, even though he still vomits everyday. Dr. Dixon put him on Roudybush APD, which he wants to make up 75% of his diet, but I am not in favor of that. So, I've been feeding him his regular diet alongside Roudybush. It's been a few days since his second vet visit on the 17th due to continued vomiting. Dr. Dixon believes there is inflammation in his GI somewhere and we may need to do a barium in the future. He mentioned a scope but says he doesn't have the equipment necessary.

His behavior is still the same and he isn't losing weight, but stress levels are high for me amongst other things. I'm looking into dried mealworms to feed him to increase his protein levels but I'm unsure which brand to go with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been taking an extended hiatus from the internet for a while and will continue to do so, but I'll try to respond soon. Thanks again, everyone.

ALSO: Dr. Dixon put him on Metacam for pain management but after a few days, told me to discontinue it since it could possibly be exaggerating his vomiting.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Brittany0208 - if he is low on protein give him tofu, and egg whites, a little lean chicken and fish - salmon is especially good . Very important that you get Prozyme ( https://smile.amazon.com/Prozyme-Or...qid=1584813304&sprefix=prozyme,aps,198&sr=8-5 ) . Prozyme is a mixture of digestive enzymes that predigests protein mostly, but other food too, and makes the nutrition readily available to be adsorbed by the digestive system Sprinkle it on his food at every meal. You may want to up his "good" fats by sprinkling olive oil or canola ( canola oil is made from rapeseed). Both oils are very low in the bad fats.

Is he puking or regurgitating? You can try giving him some calcium carbonate to settle his tummy. It is exactly what Tums have in them and it works well.

I have done all of the above with the approval of my vet, Dr. Driggers.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he puking or regurgitating? You can try giving him some calcium carbonate to settle his tummy. It is exactly what Tums have in them and it works well.
He's puking. It ends up all over the walls, floor, his cage, everywhere! He does it every time he eats, no matter what it is or what the texture is. I have AviBios that I've used occasionally over time. Is this just as good as Prozyme? I'll offer him some tums and see if he'll take it. I offer him a few slices of ginger every once in a while in case his stomach's upset. I'm at a complete loss and dealing with burnout.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Brittany0208 No, not the same AviBios is a pro-biotic and replaces the natural digestive enzymes in the digestive system. Prozyme actually digests the food for the bird. Jasper would have starved to death years ago without it. Enigma731 also swears by it and Macawnutz too.

At one point, years ago, Jasper had ulcers in her digestive system and puked all of the time. The Dr. told me to give her about 1/2 cc of Pepto Bismol, just before she would eat. It also worked - the only thing it does have some aspirin in it, but very little and you could give it to him short term.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 No, not the same AviBios is a pro-biotic and replaces the natural digestive enzymes in the digestive system. Prozyme actually digests the food for the bird. Jasper would have starved to death years ago without it. Enigma731 also swears by it and Macawnutz too.

At one point, years ago, Jasper had ulcers in her digestive system and puked all of the time. The Dr. told me to give her about 1/2 cc of Pepto Bismol, just before she would eat. It also worked - the only thing it does have some aspirin in it, but very little and you could give it to him short term.
Alright, I'll get some Prozyme as soon as possible. Is it something that has to be used long term or just symptomatically? I'll also pick up some Pepto when I can.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Use the Prozyme long term and you can use the Tums instead of the Pepto - was just giving you an alternative.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Use the Prozyme long term and you can use the Tums instead of the Pepto - was just giving you an alternative.
Ok, thank you. He just vomited again with no provocation. I don't know what's causing it. He wasn't eating. He was playing with his toys and just threw up. It had been two days since he threw up until now.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lordy it sounds like he has an intestinal infection, but no high white count in his blood work?
No. Dr. Dixon said other than his protein levels, his bloodwork came back fine. He did say that his clinic doesn't have proper values for a Vasa so he compared his values to similar birds like an eclectus, and he based his current values on his last values from a year ago. Java is the first and only Vasa the clinic has dealt with.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Could be a lot of things. If you try the Prozyme and Tums for awhile maybe he'll straighten up - if not back to the vet for a barium test.

Keep me up to date.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Praying for your sweet Java, Brittany. He is dearly loved by all, and we want him to be well again very soon.:heart::bighug:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has your vet tried him on Reglan? And what about meds for GI inflammation like famotidine?
Yes, he mentioned putting him on Reglan but I wanted to wait until we got the results from the PDD testing. He's not sure if there's inflammation in his GI but that's his guess. He said in order to see if there's any inflammation, he would have to scope him and he doesn't have the equipment.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, he mentioned putting him on Reglan but I wanted to wait until we got the results from the PDD testing. He's not sure if there's inflammation in his GI but that's his guess. He said in order to see if there's any inflammation, he would have to scope him and he doesn't have the equipment.
Well, if testing isn't an option then I'd want to try treating for it and see what happens. It's pretty low risk. Reglan has been a wonder drug for several of my birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.