• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java isn't doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He sounds very good - except for the throwing up. Maybe the prozyme will help that.

I hope this all just turns out to be a bad dream.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He sounds very good - except for the throwing up. Maybe the prozyme will help that.

I hope this all just turns out to be a bad dream.
Me too. Dr. Dixon was very doubtful that he had PDD because he said he didn't exhibit any of the symptoms except for the vomiting, and that vomiting could be linked to a number of things. He didn't think the test was necessary but I went ahead with it. I really hope it's just a false positive. I don't know what else it could be, though, or what's going on. Part of me still believes the hormones has something to do with it but this is only the second or third time I've seen Java's hormonal side.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well both Hank and Jasper puked on everything all of the time when they were hormonal. Thank goodness neither of them rarely got hormonal enough to notice.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're awesome to hang in there with Java.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well both Hank and Jasper puked on everything all of the time when they were hormonal. Thank goodness neither of them rarely got hormonal enough to notice.
Did they fling their heads when they puked? I know there's a difference between regurgitation and vomiting, but I've never seen Java regurgitate, no matter how excited he's been. It's always dramatic, head-flinging, food flying everywhere. In the two years that I've had him, he gets hormonal almost like clockwork around February, sometimes as early as January, and it's always pretty dramatic: opening wings, snaking his neck like a vulture (which he only does when he's hormonal) protruding his birdie part, clucking and mouthing a lot of his toys and cage.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As I was told by a couple of members here during MC's issues, we do the best we can. You're doing that.

We can't be there in person but we're here. 24/7

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess I'm not clear on why a response to the Onsior would tell Dr. Dixon that he has the disease. I know it's the treatment of choice for PDD, but it's just an anti-inflammatory. If he responds to it, I'd think it could mean it treated inflammation from some other cause. Unfortunately I really think you're just going to have to wait and see over the long-term how things progress.

By the way, the idea of rehoming him is what's known as an escape fantasy and it's perfectly normal in response to extreme stress/anxiety. It's the same thing as how some people in crisis wish they could fall asleep and not wake up. It just means that you're human and hurting a lot for him.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess I'm not clear on why a response to the Onsior would tell Dr. Dixon that he has the disease.
I'm also unclear as to how it would tell him anything, and what exactly qualifies as responding. I guess he wants to see if the vomiting still continues with the Onsior. I'm not entirely sure what his thought process is.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No both of them just did the head up and down. I don't think I ever saw either of them puke - even when Jasper had a GI infection.

I'm so glad they were never horrible when hormonal.

LOL forgot to post this hours ago.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java had his second dose of Onsior just now and Dr. Dixon said he's gained 30grams, which he says confirms that he has PDD. Java only threw up once since his first dose. Personally, I'm not convinced he has it but the next step is to bring him in next week for a third dose and then start him on Celebrex. I'm not sure how I feel at the moment. I'm still not convinced.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Have you been giving him either the prozyme or a Tums type thing? If so, did you tell the Dr.? Either or both could have an effect on his weight gain.

The reason that he is convinced that Java has ABV is that the Onsior/Celebrex is known to have a positive effect on ABV symptoms. 30 grams is a positive.

PS - My Grandmother was from Missouri. so I have some "show me" in me - I'm stil not convinced either.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you been giving him either the prozyme or a Tums type thing? If so, did you tell the Dr.? Either or both could have an effect on his weight gain.

The reason that he is convinced that Java has ABV is that the Onsior/Celebrex is known to have a positive effect on ABV symptoms. 30 grams is a positive.

PS - My Grandmother was from Missouri. so I have some "show me" in me - I'm stil not convinced either.
We don't have Tums at the moment and the Prozyme came in yesterday so I gave him that with his dinner. I also have been giving him Roudybush ADP everyday alongside his regular diet.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 I'm sorry I've had some crazy family stuff going on unexpectedly & haven't been on a whole bunch. Your a great parront & although there are a few AA members that would spoil poor Java to the high hills, I'm not sure anyone could love him more than you. It's expected to feel anxious & some depression when our fids are sick. Try not to pay too much focus on these things. I can tell you the more I focus on mine the worse it gets. I can cause myself to have an anxiety attack because I focused on it. My suggestion is instead take 20 minutes for you. Go outside & sit on the porch or go for a short walk. I have been trying to do that every day even if it's for five or ten minutes. Buddy's healthy but my daughter has been having issues. It's been helping me not only stay patient with Buddy's tantrums due to hormones but focus in & be clear for my daughter's bad ideas & help her (guide) towards better ones. Java can only be as strong as he see you be. I know it's tough but I KNOW you have that inner strength, you've shown us this many times on AA over the last few years. You have this honey, & we all have :sadhug:YOU!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 I'm sorry I've had some crazy family stuff going on unexpectedly & haven't been on a whole bunch. Your a great parront & although there are a few AA members that would spoil poor Java to the high hills, I'm not sure anyone could love him more than you. It's expected to feel anxious & some depression when our fids are sick. Try not to pay too much focus on these things. I can tell you the more I focus on mine the worse it gets. I can cause myself to have an anxiety attack because I focused on it. My suggestion is instead take 20 minutes for you. Go outside & sit on the porch or go for a short walk. I have been trying to do that every day even if it's for five or ten minutes. Buddy's healthy but my daughter has been having issues. It's been helping me not only stay patient with Buddy's tantrums due to hormones but focus in & be clear for my daughter's bad ideas & help her (guide) towards better ones. Java can only be as strong as he see you be. I know it's tough but I KNOW you have that inner strength, you've shown us this many times on AA over the last few years. You have this honey, & we all have :sadhug:YOU!
Thank you for your kinds words. Lately, I've been taking a few moments out each day to do something for myself, usually it's to go outside for a little while or just order myself a pizza. I spoke with Dr. Dixon's tech and they gave me a few options we could test for for Java. One being to test him for metal poisoning, the other being an AGY test, and the last being a radiograph with contrast. So, I'm hopeful that something will turn up. If everything comes back normal, then at least I would have tried, and it'll be easier to accept the ABV diagnosis. Thank you, everyone. I will continue to update this thread as we test and find out what's going on.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You know Java best. Remember that.

We just plug away at life and we do the best we can for those we love with the knowledge available.

Take those moments of enjoyment that make you smile.....watch a sunset, smell the fresh cut grass, even the simple walk in the rain or splashing in a puddle. Life can be good even in this depressing age of the virus.

Personally I'm starting to watch black and white TV programs (ahhhhh Mayberry....).

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
He's puking. It ends up all over the walls, floor, his cage, everywhere! He does it every time he eats, no matter what it is or what the texture is. I have AviBios that I've used occasionally over time. Is this just as good as Prozyme? I'll offer him some tums and see if he'll take it. I offer him a few slices of ginger every once in a while in case his stomach's upset. I'm at a complete loss and dealing with burnout.
Perhaps try a little ginger tea (I use ginger tea bags by Traditional Medicinals) in his water dish. Ask your vet first.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
For what it's worth, one of my tiels used to have similar symptoms of vomiting and even pooping undigested food. We never tested her for ABV, but she looked for all the world like she had PDD based on her symptoms and lack of other findings. She would get treated with Metacam and Reglan (this was before the days of Onsior) whenever she'd have an attack. It's now been 3 years that she's had no symptoms and 9 years since this all started. We never found a cause, but given the clinical course, it almost certainly isn't PDD. So I think if you can, just try to accept that the current treatment is working. I know it's hard, but really there's no way to know what the future will bring for Java.

Status
Not open for further replies.