• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java isn't doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I hope it's wrong too but at least it is a answer and might lead to a better treatment even if it is wrong. He seems to be happy and strong so that's half the battle I'd think :hug5:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well as most of us with animals with things that seem to happen and are the known/unknown possibility, one day at a time. I know I like how your Vet appears to be approaching this. Sounds like a great Vet you have. I would surely not get too upset until you honestly know. And with your care, Java Bean will be just fine! Hugs to you Brittany, you are a great birdie Momma.
Thank you. Today was a rough day for Java. He hardly touched his food and spent most of the day hanging on the side of his cage screaming. He didn't play with his toys like usual and didn't even want to be picked up which he usually doesn't mind. Dr. Dixon told me to watch him closely and if he doesn't eat more by Friday to bring him in.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm trying. Trying not to think of the worst case.
Remember they feed off our emotions too.

It's scary but let's hope it's a false positive.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you. Today was a rough day for Java. He hardly touched his food and spent most of the day hanging on the side of his cage screaming. He didn't play with his toys like usual and didn't even want to be picked up which he usually doesn't mind. Dr. Dixon told me to watch him closely and if he doesn't eat more by Friday to bring him in.
Yes keep and eye on him. Were xray's suggested to ensure there is no blockage anywhere?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes keep and eye on him. Were xray's suggested to ensure there is no blockage anywhere?
He had an Xray on the 17th and everything came back normal. He checked his crop and said it wasn't distended. He okayed the Prozyme @Hankmacaw mentioned so I'll be starting that as soon as possible.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
He had an Xray on the 17th and everything came back normal. He checked his crop and said it wasn't distended. He okayed the Prozyme @Hankmacaw mentioned so I'll be starting that as soon as possible.
Excellent advice as always @Hankmacaw Please keep us updated, as I know you have. But again, hugs and prayers for healing our AA Java Bean :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry about the test result @Brittany208 . First there is no test for PDD which is the disease proventicular dilation disease, while ABV is a virus (avian bournavirus) which seems to consistently to be the precursor to PDD. The test is for ABV and that gives you hope. that it has not progressed to PDD disease.

I'm glad your vet approved of the Prozyme - it should make Java feel better. Celebrex and Onsor are two meds that act about the same for ABV/PDD except that the Celebrex is given daily and the Onsor is a once every 10 days injection.

Brittany today Java has not been given a death sentence as it would have been just a few years ago. Now more and more birds are living long happy lives with the diseases.

Key Points
  • Avian bornavirus has been shown to be a cause of the disease syndrome formerly known as proventricular dilatation disease or PDD.
  • Avian bornavirus is a labile virus, susceptible to most disinfectants, detergents, and ultraviolet light.
  • Birds can harbor asymptomatic avian bornavirus infection.
  • The avian bornavirus is intermittently shed in feces and urates.
  • Clinical disease develops secondary to the body’s response to infection, as lymphocytic-plasmacytic infiltrate develops in the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves and is frequently described as neuropathic ganglioneuritis.
  • Progression of clinical disease, or neuropathic ganglioneuritis, can be slow or quite rapid.
  • The clinical signs of neuropathic ganglioneuritis typically vary from primarily gastrointestinal, primarily neurological, or both gastrointestinal and neurological.
  • Definitive diagnosis is challenging antemortem, but typically relies upon a combination of PCR and serology.
  • Whenever possible, isolation of infected birds is recommended; culling of infected birds is NOT recommended.

Love you two.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the test result @Brittany208 . First there is no test for PDD which is the disease proventicular dilation disease, while ABV is a virus (avian bournavirus) which seems to consistently to be the precursor to PDD. The test is for ABV and that gives you hope. that it has not progressed to PDD disease.

I'm glad your vet approved of the Prozyme - it should make Java feel better. Celebrex and Onsor are two meds that act about the same for ABV/PDD except that the Celebrex is given daily and the Onsor is a once every 10 days injection.

Brittany today Java has not been given a death sentence as it would have been just a few years ago. Now more and more birds are living long happy lives with the diseases.

Key Points
  • Avian bornavirus has been shown to be a cause of the disease syndrome formerly known as proventricular dilatation disease or PDD.
  • Avian bornavirus is a labile virus, susceptible to most disinfectants, detergents, and ultraviolet light.
  • Birds can harbor asymptomatic avian bornavirus infection.
  • The avian bornavirus is intermittently shed in feces and urates.
  • Clinical disease develops secondary to the body’s response to infection, as lymphocytic-plasmacytic infiltrate develops in the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves and is frequently described as neuropathic ganglioneuritis.
  • Progression of clinical disease, or neuropathic ganglioneuritis, can be slow or quite rapid.
  • The clinical signs of neuropathic ganglioneuritis typically vary from primarily gastrointestinal, primarily neurological, or both gastrointestinal and neurological.
  • Definitive diagnosis is challenging antemortem, but typically relies upon a combination of PCR and serology.
  • Whenever possible, isolation of infected birds is recommended; culling of infected birds is NOT recommended.

Love you two.
Thank you! Yes, Onsor is the injection we're going to do once a week for 3 weeks and after we know what's what, we'll be starting the Celebrex. I'll be doing a lot of reading on ABV and PDD so I have an idea of what I'm up against if it turns out that way. Considering Dr. Dixon was very doubtful that Java even had the condition caught me off guard when he told me the test was positive. Java and I are beyond grateful to have the help and support of AA, and you, @Hankmacaw, have been the biggest help of all. :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brit, I'm sorry that it appears to be this kind of outcome but it sounds like for now it's one day @ a time. Sending healing thoughts your way! :sadhug:

Please keep us updated! When will the vet retest? I'm assuming if they're talking about false positives that a retest is in order down the road.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took Java back to the vet yesterday for his first injection of Onsior. He hadn't been eaten until last night. Today he is eating and I'll take him back next Friday for his second injection. He was nauseous on the ride home yesterday and a little drowsy, he hadn't eaten breakfast yesterday morning but he ate dinner last night. He ate this morning, and aside from the vomiting, he's still himself. I've asked myself repeatedly if I'm cut out to endure this, and to be honest, I don't know if I have it in me. Hate to say it, but I've thought about rehoming him to someone better equipped to deal with this, but it was just a thought. I'm not rehoming him, and I'm even ashamed that the thought has crossed my mind, but I'm being honest. I'm trying to take everything one day at a time but these days seem longer and longer sometimes.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brit, I'm sorry that it appears to be this kind of outcome but it sounds like for now it's one day @ a time. Sending healing thoughts your way! :sadhug:

Please keep us updated! When will the vet retest? I'm assuming if they're talking about false positives that a retest is in order down the road.
Dr. Dixon didn't mention a retest. He wants Java on Onsior once a week for three weeks, and if Java responds to the medicine, then that'll tell Dr. Dixon that he has the disease. If he doesn't respond to it, then we're in the clearing and he'll start him on Celebrex, which he'll be on for the rest of his life.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hang in there @Brittany0208 - if you give up you will never forgive yourself. I know how darned hard it can be from day to day to day,, but I'll always be glad that I tried as hard as I could for both of my guys.

When is he throwing up? Is he getting the Prozyme? How about Tums? Does he play at all any longer? Is he still in love with you? Celebrex and I suppose onsior will make them a little drowsy until they get used to it.

I'm here for you at any time (although I go to bed before the chickens).

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hang in there @Brittany0208 - if you give up you will never forgive yourself. I know how darned hard it can be from day to day to day,, but I'll always be glad that I tried as hard as I could for both of my guys.

When is he throwing up?
He usually throws up while he's eating. Every once in a while he'll head bob like he wants to vomit but nothing comes up, and he does this when he's in his hormonal fit of chirping and spreading his wings. The actual food vomiting only happens when he eats.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he getting the Prozyme? How about Tums? Does he play at all any longer? Is he still in love with you? Celebrex and I suppose onsior will make them a little drowsy until they get used to it.
I just ordered the Prozyme yesterday and it hasn't shipped yet. I haven't given him the Tums yet. He still plays with his toys and is very much a chatterbox. His poops are still completely normal, his activity level is normal, he isn't losing weight, in fact he's gained 8 grams since Dr. Dixon saw him last year, he's still very much attached to me and curious about whatever I'm doing, getting noisy if I leave the room without him. He wasn't vomiting until it got closer to his breeding season, and I thought it was hormone-related but Dr. Dixon says vomiting has nothing to do with hormones.

Status
Not open for further replies.