• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Is this nostril shape/color normal for a GCC?

LoyalButler

Moving in
This is my second GCC(yellow-sided GCC) Kiro, and she's about 6 months old. Recently I noticed that her nostrils have different colour/shape to my first GCC Milo's and it kinda worries me.
Compared to her older brother's, they look distinctively pinkish and swollen and it seems like the degree of pinkishness and swollenness varies from day to day. However, I haven't found any trace of nasal discharge or weird breathing.

Can this be one of her normal physical feature like, her feather color or pink feet or should I take her to a vet?
(it's quite hard to reach vets that treat birds from my place)

• Milo, 15 months old GCC, for comparison

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I’m not sure. Have they always being like that or is this recent?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@webchirp has a billion cheekies and may have some insight :) It may just seem more pronounced due to her mutation.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
They look normal to me... and pink toes are normal too!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just like with any creature every parrot has it's own distinctive features. If they're not causing any problems then no need to worry about them.

TiskyDE

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jayde
can anyone help me with posting my own forum so I can ask for help with my sun conure? I literally just joined and have no idea how to do anything :(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Last edited:

LoyalButler

Moving in
Thanks for the replies! Just after I took her to our home(she was 3 months old then), I noticed that her nostrils are quite large even compared to my other, older GCC.
But I think I found them pinkish only recently. It also worries me that she can't fully close her beak thus have bit of a problem when eating.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for the replies! Just after I took her to our home(she was 3 months old then), I noticed that her nostrils are quite large even compared to my other, older GCC.
But I think I found them pinkish only recently. It also worries me that she can't fully close her beak thus have bit of a problem when eating.
Her beak looks fully closed to me in the photos. Are you saying she can't crack seed or pellets?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
It also worries me that she can't fully close her beak thus have bit of a problem when eating.
What sort of trouble eating are you observing? When one of my birbs is a little concerned or scared, they have their beaks partially opened...when a strange leaf falls on the lawn, it will not go unnoticed

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Gus, my little yellow sided GCC has pink nostrils (I hadn't really noticed b4) and the nares are fleshy. Max's are black and his nares are fleshy, as well. When we go for our annual check ups, the vet will check their nostrils. Have you taken her to a vet for a first check, yet?

LoyalButler

Moving in
Her beak looks fully closed to me in the photos. Are you saying she can't crack seed or pellets?
She can crack seeds and pallets but not as well as her brother(due to lack of skills maybe?) and she tends to make lot of messy debris after eating.
But on second thought, I think it's not a serious problem since she can eat food although it takes much, much longer...

LoyalButler

Moving in
Gus, my little yellow sided GCC has pink nostrils (I hadn't really noticed b4) and the nares are fleshy. Max's are black and his nares are fleshy, as well. When we go for our annual check ups, the vet will check their nostrils. Have you taken her to a vet for a first check, yet?
Not yet, but I'm planning to take them to a vet for examination around august.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She can crack seeds and pallets but not as well as her brother(due to lack of skills maybe?) and she tends to make lot of messy debris after eating.
But on second thought, I think it's not a serious problem since she can eat food although it takes much, much longer...
It's not a serious problem. As long as she is eating all she needs it doesn't matter if it takes her longer or that she's a tad messier. They're all different in their eating habits. My yellowside GCC makes the nastiest mess in her water cup. She'll grab 3-4 pellets at a time, go to her water bowl and drop them in and then pick them up one at a time to eat ( the small zupreem floats...for a bit). She crunches one up, dips it again, shakes her head to get rid of excess water ( thus, shaking pellet debris every where... cage bars, wall....) and then there are the pellets that eventually sink. She's my messiest conure!

LoyalButler

Moving in
It's not a serious problem. As long as she is eating all she needs it doesn't matter if it takes her longer or that she's a tad messier. They're all different in their eating habits. My yellowside GCC makes the nastiest mess in her water cup. She'll grab 3-4 pellets at a time, go to her water bowl and drop them in and then pick them up one at a time to eat ( the small zupreem floats...for a bit). She crunches one up, dips it again, shakes her head to get rid of excess water ( thus, shaking pellet debris every where... cage bars, wall....) and then there are the pellets that eventually sink. She's my messiest conure!
My older bird always does that too:lol:He dips his pellets into the water bowl, waits them to get "moist on the surface but still crispy on the inside" and fish them.
And then he abandons em when he find them too soggy.. what a brat

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Pellet soup....my favorite :shrug2:
The other iteration is poop soup:barf:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Those nares look just like Rupert's. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
This is my second GCC(yellow-sided GCC) Kiro, and she's about 6 months old. Recently I noticed that her nostrils have different colour/shape to my first GCC Milo's and it kinda worries me.
Compared to her older brother's, they look distinctively pinkish and swollen and it seems like the degree of pinkishness and swollenness varies from day to day. However, I haven't found any trace of nasal discharge or weird breathing.

Can this be one of her normal physical feature like, her feather color or pink feet or should I take her to a vet?
(it's quite hard to reach vets that treat birds from my place)

• Milo, 15 months old GCC, for comparison
Beautiful babies! Yes, they are absolutely okay. They look clear and clean. They definitely can be different from bird to bird. Welcome to AA!

But if she hasn't had her first vet checkup, now is this time. If they do become redder, sneezing...get her in.

@webchirp has a billion cheekies and may have some insight :) It may just seem more pronounced due to her mutation.
:laughin: