• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this hut safe for my conure?

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I saw one hut that said it was specifically NOT safe for conures so instead I got this one. I understand they chew up their tents, but could this one be safe? There’s only soft cloth on the outside, not fur, and on the inside is more like almost plastic with some soft rubber buttons for friction and grip I'm assuming. I just don’t want her to get hurt!
111F790B-35CE-4E48-BE71-E3B24CA15649.jpeg 7668FCAF-C2AE-4A64-9BB3-99489EC8FD72.jpeg

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would be concerned about what the rubber bumps are made from (along with many other things)......I had those on some bed socks and they are easily removed by birds as my bird has picked some of them off, I was with him when he did it and I know he did not ingest any of them but I could easily see what he did with them.

I believe these tents make a lot of birds hormonal/nesty and can be the cause of territorial/hormonal issues but I would be much more concerned about the safety aspect given how many birds have met a horrible end with these items. There have been many birds loose feet or even worse their life from these sorts of tents/huts. You will need to make sure the hut has got no loose threads and this will need to be done each and every day.....if not many times a day. Threads are a big big problem for birds in many different ways.

Ultimately the choice is yours but I think you should have a look through this site for other stories of these happy huts/ bird tents so you know what main dangers they come with. No toy/cage accessory is completely safe but some have much higher dangers than others.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please don't. Your bird may like them, but it could very well kill - that's dead and gone - them. I believe there are hard huts out there.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I would be concerned about what the rubber bumps are made from (along with many other things)......I had those on some bed socks and they are easily removed by birds as my bird has picked some of them off, I was with him when he did it and I know he did not ingest any of them but I could easily see what he did with them.

I believe these tents make a lot of birds hormonal/nesty and can be the cause of territorial/hormonal issues but I would be much more concerned about the safety aspect given how many birds have met a horrible end with these items. There have been many birds loose feet or even worse their life from these sorts of tents/huts. You will need to make sure the hut has got no loose threads and this will need to be done each and every day.....if not many times a day. Threads are a big big problem for birds in many different ways.

Ultimately the choice is yours but I think you should have a look through this site for other stories of these happy huts/ bird tents so you know what main dangers they come with. No toy/cage accessory is completely safe but some have much higher dangers than others.
After researching more, I have decided it may be best to just keep the hut away from her!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you so much. We have lost so many member's birds on this board that I hate to even hear about a Killer Hut.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much. We have lost so many member's birds on this board that I hate to even hear about a Killer Hut.
Another question, I have some rope that I have tied to her cage that leads up to my loft bed, which she uses very often and there’s no chance of hanging, but on one of the ends there is a frayed end and she is constantly chewing on it. How can I get her to stop or get rid of that part? I definitely don’t want to get rid of the rope though because it is good climbing for her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can wrap the end tightly with a proper sized thread/twine (flax will digest even if she swallows it). That will get the frayed ends under control - you may have to rewrap now and then.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so happy you have decided to keep the hut away from her. There are safer versions of the huts that are made out of wood and leather or all wood if you really want one.

You can use vet tape as an alternative to @Hankmacaw's suggestion of wrapping the ends with twine. Remember to check the ends frequently :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could try to use vet wrap and see if that will stay on the ends.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Mason and Kiwi, the vet wrap is basically the type of bandages that will stick to themselves. Those look like they could be the sort. You will still have to keep an eye on the vet wrap and replace it periodically.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Nelson had one early on and was so in love with it. As soon as I noticed he was chewing on it I removed it. I have seen one similar to the one in the pic that does not have the rubbery part

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'd suggest using seagrass mats and making your own if you feel your bird would like one.

Some samples:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Several people recommended a Birdie Bed from TC Feathers to me. I purchased one and placed it in the cage with my GCC. So far, she pretty much ignores it. Do most of you consider this a safe option?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Several people recommended a Birdie Bed from TC Feathers to me. I purchased one and placed it in the cage with my GCC. So far, she pretty much ignores it. Do most of you consider this a safe option?
It really depends on the bird. Some chew on fleece, but some don't. If in doubt, don't use it around your bird.