• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this cage ok?

bird_mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shay
My 7 year old African Grey desperately needed a new cage. I saw Gizmo the grey with this cage and the websites I saw said it was OK for Greys, so I assumed it was good enough for him. Fast forward to now, after purchasing, I’m convincing myself that it’s not appropriate. Here is the cage in question: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...x-26-in-split-level-house-cage-pc-4226d-black
I am actually freaking out tbh lol. Please help. :sour:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's a bit narrow. Ideally you want them to be able to open their wings fully both length and width wise. This cage is too narrow for the wingspan of an average Congo, and just about the same as a Timneh.

So the question is, how much of their day do they spend in their cage? Do they have any issues that would make having a smaller cage beneficial?

My Jardine's is in a slightly smaller cage than I would like, BUT he is out most of the day and he often loses grip and falls, so a bigger cage would be potentially dangerous for him. I've made my peace with it not being ideal :)

NkRCMUM5RTY2RkJGMzA1MEFDNTA6ZDkwZjM2MjA3ZDVmYzE5MGM5MjBmZGY3MzU1NGJlODA6Ojo6OjA=.jpeg

Reactions: tka

bird_mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shay
It's a bit narrow. Ideally you want them to be able to open their wings fully both length and width wise. This cage is too narrow for the wingspan of an average Congo, and just about the same as a Timneh.

So the question is, how much of their day do they spend in their cage? Do they have any issues that would make having a smaller cage beneficial?

My Jardine's is in a slightly smaller cage than I would like, BUT he is out most of the day and he often loses grip and falls, so a bigger cage would be potentially dangerous for him. I've made my peace with it not being ideal :)

View attachment 432159
I really appreciate your response, it really made me realize that it was actually smaller than his current cage! So I ended up canceling the order and purchasing the Imperial Extra Large Stainless Steel Cage from Prevue. I realized that stainless steel is a better investment anyways, and it was pretty reasonably priced on Chewy.