• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a good cage set up?

Good cage?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
Hi! This cage is a Prevue flight cage, for my three babies, Grover, Cal and Percy. Does anyone have anything they would add / take out / change? I’m striving to make their cage the best it could possibly be.
feel free to post your own budgie cages below!!

Attachments

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I think it has very nice enrichment in it, just I would leave empty space in the middle for flying and hang the toys in the corners and at the back. Also you can bundle multiple toys together. I would remove the perches that they can use like a highway across and go for less, encouraging more activity. Toys on one side and food and water on another kind of thing. :smileflower:

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
It's an amazing start! Are they English Budgies? They look a little big...
It's a pretty good sized cage for three, but the bar spacing looks a little big? I don't know the recommended spacing for English Budgies, but bar spacing American budgies should be no wider than 1/2".
I'd personally recommend using the grate in the cage. Especially with three birds in there. It's very important to help keep the birds and their droppings separate. It is a bit more work when you have to clean the grate and the tray, but it's just more sanitary.
I love all the natural branches! It's great! My only thing is that dead-end perches are best. It basically forces your bird to be active, so they can't just walk from one end of the cage to the other.
There are some really good toys in there! I would take out the ones with rope on them. Toys are meant to be destroyed, and if your birds like the rope one, they can ingest the little rope fibers. Those then can get stuck in the crop and cause an impaction. The rope perches are fine, as they don't have any loose ends. Just keep an eye on them and remove them if you see your birds chewing on them.
There is also a lot more room in the bottom half of the cage for toys and perches. Encourage them to use all the space provided in the cage!
I would also suggest putting food and water on opposite sides of the cage. It just helps keep things cleaner.
Over all, it's pretty great!

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
looks great! my suggestion is to change the plastic bowls to stainless steel ones.

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
It's a pretty good sized cage for three, but the bar spacing looks a little big? I don't know the recommended spacing for English Budgies, but bar spacing American budgies should be no wider than 1/2".
I'd personally recommend using the grate in the cage. Especially with three birds in there. It's very important to help keep the birds and their droppings separate. It is a bit more work when you have to clean the grate and the tray, but it's just more sanitary.
I love all the natural branches! It's great! My only thing is that dead-end perches are best. It basically forces your bird to be active, so they can't just walk from one end of the cage to the other.
There are some really good toys in there! I would take out the ones with rope on them. Toys are meant to be destroyed, and if your birds like the rope one, they can ingest the little rope fibers. Those then can get stuck in the crop and cause an impaction. The rope perches are fine, as they don't have any loose ends. Just keep an eye on them and remove them if you see your birds chewing on them.
There is also a lot more room in the bottom half of the cage for toys and perches. Encourage them to use all the space provided in the cage!
I would also suggest putting food and water on opposite sides of the cage. It just helps keep things cleaner.
Thankyou for the reply!! Yes, they’re young English budgies , and based off my experience with their breed they’ve still got a bit of growing to do! The bar spacing is 1/2 inch, though it looks more in the photo.
ive take out the rope toys now - thanks for the suggestion!!

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Hello! I love your cage setup, although I would suggest getting some stainless steel food bowls, as they are more sanitary. Try the rodent section at your local PetSmart.....

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I used to not use the grate in my (female) lovebird's cage but after hearing it can
increase nestiness, I started using it.
I've never had a budgie, but with lovebirds they should be in an even number, but budgies seem a lot more chill so are they okay in an odd numbered flock?

Bookwyrm

I used to not use the grate in my (female) lovebird's cage but after hearing it can
increase nestiness, I started using it.
I've never had a budgie, but with lovebirds they should be in an even number, but budgies seem a lot more chill so are they okay in an odd numbered flock?
They can be okay, but it's better to have even numbers. If two birds bond, the lone one could get picked on or something like that. But sometimes all three are best buds! I'd keep an eye on them, and if you feel an addition would be a good thing, then that could be a good idea.

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
They can be okay, but it's better to have even numbers. If two birds bond, the lone one could get picked on or something like that. But sometimes all three are best buds! I'd keep an eye on them, and if you feel an addition would be a good thing, then that could be a good idea.
Yes, we are definitely looking into getting another one as two seemed to have bonded over the other. They are being treated for mites they came with at the moment so we are waiting for the all clear before we get another :).

Jisoo

The cage set up is great, I would recommend getting 1 or two more natural perches but good job.