• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there best cage for lovebirds???

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
I have a typical rectangle flight cage, marketed more for finches. It seems okay in size for them but with the new babies I was thinking about upgrading to something larger... Is there a best cage you've found & do lovebirds prefer height or width? I was thinking of something like this

Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Select Bird Cage Black Hammertone 3151BLK : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

Or

Amazon.com : ZENY Bird Cage with Stand Wrought Iron Construction 53-Inch Pet Bird Cage Play Top Parrot Cockatiel Cockatoo Parakeet Finches Birdcage : Pet Supplies

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Width is more important than height. How many birds would you be putting in it?

Guillotine-styled feeder doors like on that second one can be dangerous. They can fall and trap heads or feet and a lot of birds tend to figure out how to open them pretty easily.

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
It'd be 5 if I keep the babies assuming they all get along, otherwise just 2. Hadn't thought about the doors! I will try to look for some with swing doors or latches maybe? Thank you!

Feather

Avenue Veteran
It'd be 5 if I keep the babies assuming they all get along, otherwise just 2. Hadn't thought about the doors! I will try to look for some with swing doors or latches maybe? Thank you!
Flight cages are often a safe bet for the little guys. This one is nice and comes with an optional divider in case not everyone wants to play nice later down the road.
Amazon.com : A&E Cage Co. 6421 Black Double Flight Cage with Divider, Large/64" x 21" : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

Personally I would use an acrylic/plexiglass divider instead of the one provided, though, in case of nipped toes.

Last edited:

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I have the hq flight cage for my 2 works well lots of room for them since they are just a fur ball of energy:fairy2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last edited:

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Were you planning to keep all 5 birds in one cage? Are they siblings? Both the cages seem small for 5. The cage Zara posted is nice. I have one lovebird and her cage size is 30"w x 18"d x 38"h(without stand).

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are keeping all 5 together, the cage that Feather linked looks great. The hen will turn on the chicks once she lays a new egg, fertile or not.
Otherwise, just invest in a decent size cage for the 3 chicks and leave the parents as are.
It's good that they all have their space.
A cage like the one I linked is OK for 3 birds but I wouldn't really go for any smaller unless they only use the cage to sleep and other short periods.
I love that you are going to keep the babies ❤

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have the same size as DoubleTake for one lovebird. They're busy birds.

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
Thanks everyone! I love the cage you posted, Zara but it looks like they don't ship to the U.S. from what I could tell. I was.planning on keeping all 5 together but is that not a.good idea??? 3 are babies & then the 2 parents. If not could I keep the babies in one cage of their own. I will not be breeding anyone! This was an "oops" situation.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone! I love the cage you posted, Zara but it looks like they don't ship to the U.S. from what I could tell. I was.planning on keeping all 5 together but is that not a.good idea??? 3 are babies & then the 2 parents. If not could I keep the babies in one cage of their own. I will not be breeding anyone! This was an "oops" situation.
I would separate the babies from the parents, yes. You will probably be fine keeping the babies together until they mature, but down the road two of them will likely buddy up and the third will be the odd bird out.

Females are a lot more territorial than the males, so your mileage may vary depending on the sexes of the babies.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Keeping the babies is fine so long as you get them sexed and a separate cage from the parents. You don't want siblings breeding with each others or their parents. It is also would be better to keep even numbers in one cage as their will be a lonely bird or a drama love triangle.

Here is a link similar to the one zara has A&E Cage Co. 32' x 21' x 61' Elegant Flight Cage, Burgundy Amazon.com : A&E Cage Co. 32' x 21' x 61' Elegant Flight Cage, Burgundy : Pet Supplies

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
I will get a separate cage for the babies. Thanks for all the help everyone! How do I tell the sex of each baby? I tried feeling for the hip bones to see if they are wider or more narrow but all I can feel is squishy bird belly lol. I don't wanna press too firmly & hurt them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you feel a squishy bird belly, you are touching too high. You will feel the 2 bones.
My cage is an american brand (i think) so there will be somewhere that sells it over in the USA i´m sure. It is more for the idea of a good size.
I kept 2 babies, they live together in that cage. I felt the bones, I think they are both male.... but I´m not 100%. Whatever they are, they are both the same. Feel similar to the dad. Unfortunately I can´t feel the hen to compare as shes untame and too agressive.
Your 3 chicks will be ok together for now but you´ll have to watch for bullying or 2 ganging up and attacking the third. Or when you see that 2 have made a pair, take the odd one and put it in it´s own cage but near the others. they´ll all be happier with their own spot.

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
Thanks again! I will recheck later. I can't handle either mom or dad yet. The guy who had them before must not have socialized them as chicks! I'm working on that too. I really appreciate all the advice!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Post a pic when you check on the chicks next :D I´d love to see them!
Do the parent bite or are they just scared/running away? I´m lucky at least my Jaime is tame and he´s great letting me near the babies .
Don´t take this 100% but i read somewhere that if you try checking the pelvic bones when the chicks are too young you won´t get an accurate reading because they are still growing.

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
Hi again! I'll post more pics soon, promise! The mom & dad won't even get close enough to bite me, they just fly/run away anytime I put my hand in the cage. They have mellowed just a little now that they see me handling the babies. I guess they figure maybe I'm not so bad after all lol! I'll keep working with them & hoping.

I felt for the hip bones on the babies again but still not feeling anything. I did find online DNA sex testing for about $12 U.S. & bought three. You could do eggshell, feather, or blood testing I think? I chose blood since it is more apt to be viable DNA. I hate that I have to do that though lol... they suggest nipping the nail closer to the quick & using that blood. I'm such a wimp though! I don't wanna cause them discomfort but I hope it's not too bad!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s good that they don´t attack you :)
With that last clutch, I had the babies out with me on the sofa, dad Jaime was with us and I swear when the hen Aldora flew over and landed on me it was like that scene on ¨It´s a bugs life¨ when the grasshopper lands!!!!!!!!

You´ll have to make a new thread when you get the results and let us know :D

Rainbowings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vi
That's the mom & dad. Just read on another thread that these 2 should definitely not have bred? Are they totally different species?... Now I am worried :(

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those birds are not from the same subspecies. Just looking at the eyes is a giveaway.
All of my birds are roseicollis - no white around the eye. Your bird at the back there looks roseicollis, just the grey eyelid, no white.