• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a way to use a wood fireplace safely with birds?

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
My 5 cockatiels are not at my new place yet, but home doesn’t feel like home without them with me. They’ve stayed at my parents for 3 years without me really able to see them, and they don’t get much loving attention there

our new home has a wood burning fireplace from ‘94 that has a single chamber system, and my partner is super intent on using it every so often to relax by in the winter months. I can’t convince him not to.

I’ve read and heard that its a hazard for the birdies, but I’ve also read some posts of folks using one safely with their birds in the home, who claim its fine as long as you start the fire properly and use it safely

my birdies would be in my office, down the hall and a closed door away from where the fireplace is. Is there ANY way to safely or at least way limit the hazard of the use of that fireplace while having my birds here?

things I’ve thought of so far, but let me know if this stuff is truly necessary or not:

-turning off the HRV when the fireplace is on
- adding weather strip to the office door and closing it when the fire is on
- making sure to start the fire properly
- perhaps, waiting to practice using it before introducing the birds here to prevent them from being present during any accidental backflow in the first few uses, but not sure how necessary that would be
- closing the vents in the office
- turning my HEPA air purifier on high in my office
- opening the office window and turning my bird safe space heater on to get fresh air in the room while keeping the birds warm
- I have a low level CO monitor in the hallway outside the office that displays the levels, but I could get a second one for the office too

If I have them here.. that list is the best I can do. And if there’s accidental backflow in the fire, would all that keep them safe? Are there others things I can do? Or do I just have to face a sad reality of never being able to have my own birds in my home?

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Also wanted to add a question - is burning Cedar wood toxic (or any other natural wood for that matter)? We have a lot of cedar deadfalls on our land that my partner will want to use. I read vague posts before that it is but couldn’t find any good sources. If it goes up the chimney would it still pose a threat?

thanks everyone for your help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One thing I do know is wood burning fireplaces dry out the home quite a bit. Can you add a humidifier to your heating system?

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
One thing I do know is wood burning fireplaces dry out the home quite a bit. Can you add a humidifier to your heating system?
Im not sure if we can add one directly to our heating system, but I can get one at least for the birds, absolutely. Though I don’t expect us to use the fireplace every night, it might be more of a weekend thing (but probably more often while its novel)

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
I mamaged to contact a receptionistat an avian vet clinic to ask about this question. She said not to open the window in the winter because the draft can make them sick, but that closing the door and vents in the room should be okay and then to really closely monitor any signs of illness in them. If they start to show anything, then to stop using the fireplace.

What I might end up doing then in worst case scenario is keep them at my parent’s place during winter when we use the fireplace. Though that sucks, at least I will be able to have them during the warmer months safely :)