• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my cockatiel cage size ok???

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hello, I order 2 cages for my cockatiels. I give cage size to the cage maker 24"x24"x24" for 1 pair cockatiels. But unfortunately, the cage maker make my cage 24"x24"x18". They make height 18". He can't take it return and not return my money. I heard international cage size for cockatiel minimum is 24"x24"x24". So, can I keep my cockatiel in this cage?? Can they face any problem for lower height??? Thanks

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
The short answer, no :)

The long answer depends on how much time they can spend out of the cage :)
Parrots and cockatiels need as much free flying time as possible, and always the biggest cage you can get :)

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
The short answer, no :)

The long answer depends on how much time they can spend out of the cage :)
Parrots and cockatiels need as much free flying time as possible, and always the biggest cage you can get :)
Short answer no mean??? please explain

Deneen

Meeting neighbors
A cage should be a min of 1 and 1/2 times their wing span, 2 times is ideal. The average Tiel wingspan is 19.5 inches. The min cage is 32x21 (standard sizes).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are both tiels to be in one cage or do they each have a cage?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I wouldn't use anything smaller then
Cage Height: 32”
Cage Width: 31.25”
Cage Depth: 19”

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
with 24Lx24Wx18H You have about four square feet per bird since you ordered two cages. As long as your birds dont spend their all their time in the cages they should be fine. I believe Lincee is trying to say that since parrots are not domesticated you can never get too big of a cage for them. 18 inches tall should not cause adverse effects for the cockatiel unless the perches are too high and they bump their heads.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Short answer no mean??? please explain
It means, your cage is too small for your birds :)
The posts above explain why, in adittion please get the biggest cage you can get, both price and space wise :)
I always advice people to get the biggest cage possible. Not the bare minimum. Please remember in the wild these birds fly miles a day. Ofcourse none of us has a house with a room thats miles wide, so we should do our best to allow them as much freedom as possible :)

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
I'm not sure if it's allowed to reply to threads this old, but my Cockatiel Cages are also the same size as the OPs. However right now they both have their own.

At the risk of backlash, is this okay? acceptable?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
is this okay? acceptable?
Erica, as long as they have their own cage each and you are allowing your birds out of those cages for long periods of time daily, then it´s not the worst.
But I would recommend keeping an eye out for a nice flight cage for them. Larger cage = happier birds :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're basically using the cage as a sleep cage and the birds are out all day, it's not the worst.

However, if the birds are spending more than a few of their waking hours in the cage, it's not fair for them to be in cages that they can barely stretch in. The average cockatiel's wingspan is 19-20 inches. A 24" cage offers them just 2 inches on each side before they hit the bars. I can't imagine how you have room for a variety of perches, toys and enrichment activities in such a tiny cage.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I'm not sure if it's allowed to reply to threads this old, but my Cockatiel Cages are also the same size as the OPs. However right now they both have their own.

At the risk of backlash, is this okay? acceptable?
We wont kill you, no worries here ;-) but you should always get the biggest cage possible :)

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
@tka Well right now my female is incubating eggs so she only comes out of the nestbox like once or twice in a twelve hour period. (These 5 are fertile - dark veining :)
Male isn't allowed in with her b/c he scatters the eggs around and could harm them. We let him out of his separate cage for a couple hours per day, though. This is basically a confirmation of his gender because the eggs have veining. So yeah things are going well, we're just taking extra precautions to help ensure the embryos survive

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@tka Well right now my female is incubating eggs so she only comes out of the nestbox like once or twice in a twelve hour period. (These 5 are fertile - dark veining :)
Male isn't allowed in with her b/c he scatters the eggs around and could harm them. We let him out of his separate cage for a couple hours per day, though. This is basically a confirmation of his gender because the eggs have veining. So yeah things are going well, we're just taking extra precautions to help ensure the embryos survive
So, where is the nest box? Inside the cage?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like an external nesting box.

@BreezyTiel I hope you are prepared. I would strongly advise that you go now and buy every single thing you may need for the next two months. This includes, bedding (wood shavings), 2x large tubs formula, feeding spoon, heat pad, brooder, seeds, pellets, frozen veggies, small towels (I use tea towels that are for birds only), thermometre, digi scale, disinfectant and a first aid kit containing pedialite, quik stop, swabs etc
@Mockinbirdiva did I miss something off the list?

I would recommend this for anyone breeding but you more-so because when the time comes and you need something, you may not be able to get it.
Just recently there was a post here, someone couldn´t repurchase their formula due to dwindling stock.

Also call your vet and see what the situation is there, let them know what is going on, and that you may be ok but just want to know what the deal is. Some vets are closing, some are staying open and others are adopting a wait-in-your-car system. It is important you know because it is too natural to just race to the vet and barge in in the event of an emergency, and if they have the car system in place you could be putting someone at risk.

My question is... why are the parents split up if they have eggs?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sounds like an external nesting box.

@BreezyTiel I hope you are prepared. I would strongly advise that you go now and buy every single thing you may need for the next two months. This includes, bedding (wood shavings), 2x large tubs formula, feeding spoon, heat pad, brooder, seeds, pellets, frozen veggies, small towels (I use tea towels that are for birds only), thermometre, digi scale, disinfectant and a first aid kit containing pedialite, quik stop, swabs etc
@Mockinbirdiva did I miss something off the list?

I would recommend this for anyone breeding but you more-so because when the time comes and you need something, you may not be able to get it.
Just recently there was a post here, someone couldn´t repurchase their formula due to dwindling stock.

Also call your vet and see what the situation is there, let them know what is going on, and that you may be ok but just want to know what the deal is. Some vets are closing, some are staying open and others are adopting a wait-in-your-car system. It is important you know because it is too natural to just race to the vet and barge in in the event of an emergency, and if they have the car system in place you could be putting someone at risk.

My question is... why are the parents split up if they have eggs?
@Zara She stated she wouldn't be buying any extra supplies in this thread. When she removed the nest box from the previous clutch that had 20 eggs in it .... those eggs were all duds and rotten. How long does it take for a hen to lay 20 eggs and how long does it take for 20 eggs to sit in a nest box ( or plastic container meant for storing stuff) to rot? She was going to wait until June or July to put the box back up. Quotes below are from the thread breeding help. Any advice given has gone through deaf ears. Sadly. Though I will say, she did look for videos on hand feeding but personally.... that video posted is probably one of the worst I've watched. Have a look if you will.. it's a fairly long video.

@Zara, She theoretically would, but we aren't planning to buy all that stuff anyway because any chicks would be parent raised. I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this but we kinda believe in letting nature do its thing.

Realistically, we do what we can for our animals, we love them, want the best for them, think of them as our "fids"- but at the end of the day, animals are not children. We must keep the proper perspective. Sometimes, despite our efforts chicks die..

I would spend whatever I could on a life saving surgery for my theoretical child, breaking the bank if need be. Would I do the same for my bird or dog? no. That does not mean I don't love them, however.

• Sad
Reactions: tka