• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird plucking?

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone. I have a quaker parrot and hes a year and a month old and yesterday i noticed him pulling out a few feathers, then i went to his cage and saw so many feathers down there! I think hes molting, but do birds pull out their feathers when they molt? I don't see any skin showing, but i can see where he's missing feathers because where there is usually green feathers, now its the under layer, the white feathers that keep him warm. Its mostly under his wings and his thighs, some on his chest. 20200429_170613.jpg 20200429_170523.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:bump4:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like plucking to me. Can you post some closeup pics of the lost feathers?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's in an area that is usually covered by green feathers, then yes, I would say plucking. With molting they'll look scruffy but you can't see their pajamas (down feathers) or bald spots

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
If it's in an area that is usually covered by green feathers, then yes, I would say plucking. With molting they'll look scruffy but you can't see their pajamas (down feathers) or bald spots
Is there anyway yo stop it? I spent as much time as i could with him today and gave him a new toy and I gave him a warm bath, after that we just sat together and I pet him for 20 minutes. I put him to bed earlier than usual thinking he needs more sleep. Overall I felt he was happy today, and I feel like I can keep doing it, but will he like it? Im really scared for him, I feel like he wants more attention and I'm going to give him that but im just scared he won't lose the habit.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Plucking can also be caused by medical issues, so it would be best to take him to the vet so you can figure out wether or not it is a health issue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Since he's so young, I would rule out medical first. It's uncommon For baby birds to pluck.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
We want to see the feather shaft. Can you post a photo of a feather resting on a surface? (no fingers in the photo)

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi @BudgieQuaker & everyone.

How's your birdie now? Has he stopped plucking his feathers? I have a 2 years old Quaker. He started molting by Mid-March slowly from head and then to the tail. This is the first time I noticed he had a complete head to tail molting. He has done it only partially so far... Last year he molted partially by spring time and he renewed his tail by November. So I was surprised he did a complete molting just after 6 months. The things is his molting isn't over yet. He still has pin feathers on this head......and my worst nightmare came true... I think he started plucking his feathers because I hear him scream while he's pulling his feathers off. He's plucking his white fluffy feathers that are underneath this colored feathers. He has a couple of bald patches on his body :( Is this plucking or is he still molting? Can a molt last this longer? 4 months? Do they molt their white fluffy feathers too?

I have been working from home for the past few months and I have been around him the entire day. So I wouldn't say he's bored although he stopped playing on his own since he started 'building his nest'. By the way I don't know if he's a he or she ...I just call him he...but I read online that both male and female Quakers build their habitat. Could the extensive molting be related to hormonal changes?

He eats Harrison pellets, seeds and veggies. I make sure he gets quality food. I started giving him a bit of nuts to support the molting period. I ordered e-Cotrition multivitamin but does he really need it? Harrison pellets has its own vitamins. Has anyone given any multivitamin for their quaker?

Any experienced Quaker parront please provide your inputs and help me out.

Thanks so much

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
@Sunflower

Hi! My bird has almost completely stopped plucking his feathers and began growing them back. I took him to the vet and I was told that he was just being hormonal and my vet recommended chamomile flowers to calm him down. He was also extremely stressed because of my uncle who was staying with us, but as soon as he left my bird seemed to calm down significantly.

If you notice bald spots then he's definitely plucking and from what you wrote he's probably very hormonal (If you notice him regurgitating and doing a strange dance while hissing, then he might be hormonal) I would say definitely take him to the vet if you feel there's something wrong with him. The reason why my bird was plucking might not be the same for yours, so it's better to check with an avian vet. I'm not a vet and I'm just speaking from my experience, I hope your birdy feels better soon! You sound like a great bird parent and just remember to not blame yourself for any of it, sometimes parrots will pluck from the smallest amount of discomfort, like seeing strangers, not having a mate and even when you're stressed then your bird will pick up on that too and will stress with you or even in some cases they pluck because they don't like the way some furniture is set up!

Best of luck to you on this hard journey!

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi @BudgieQuaker

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am so glad to hear your birdie is doing well. :) Thanks for sharing your experience. That's all I wanted to hear. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and trace back to what could have triggered this behavior. I figured out that it started after I abruptly changed one of his cages and few things that are going on at home. Stress seems to be the main root cause. Of course this doesn't replace or eliminate vet consultation. I'm keeping an eye on my baby. Thanks again for your time!

Oh I started giving him some chamomile tea last week and looks like it's working. :)

take care
S