• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Pitchounette

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, just a stray feather. Pin feathers are feathers that still have a hard, almost waxy like sheath covering on them. If Pitchy lets you, you can groom that coating off- it kinda pops/crunches/puffs off in small flakes and then the feather emerges. I know @Wardy Mojo had a few pin feathers coming in, we might be able to get you a couple pictures.
You can see the pin feathers on the top of Mojos head in these pictures. 20210524_202141.jpg 20210523_171716.jpg

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Wardy's photos (and Shez') are very good illustrations, but here's the same thing on a darker conure to increase the contrast a little...
pin feathers.jpg

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Ok y’all are so generous with your time....and I’m not ready! Those look like they hurt. I played pretend doctor for two weeks with my twin toddlers to get them prepared for vaccines; got doctor cases and had them give their stuffies shots. It worked; they got their shots like champs and said “we made it through two shots!” But how do I prepare a conure for pin feathers?! Do they hurt?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Ok just reread sparkles comment and zoomed in on the photo of Marvin —it’s not as bad as it initially looked to me. This parronting learning curve is no joke!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo is really iritated by them and spends a lot of time scratching and preening baths will help lessen the iritation.
She does like me gently rubbing her on the head again i think this offers some relief so grooming Pitchy will also help however sometimes Mojo doesnt want my hand anywhere near her head and will be quite vocal if this is the case so that is something to be mindfull off.

No need to prepare Pitchy instinct will take over and she will take care of them herself.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I generally only help with pins that Burt can’t get to himself which are pretty much only the pins on the top of his head. You need to make sure they are ready to be preened or they’ll hurt your little guy. My budgie won’t let me help and he rarely let his girlfriend help him either- he likes to vigorously rub his head on his branches to get his pins sorted out.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
When a pin feather first emerges, and is growing, they're uncomfortable, and if we attempt to assist in preening them at that stage, it hurts (and you'll be told). I'd say the first photo in Shezbug's post shows that stage.

In the photo I posted (not Marvin... she enjoys being preened, so she never looks like that), it looks like many of the feathers have fully grown and the sheathing is starting to crumble on its own. It's very easy to preen at this stage, but the middle ground is where you'll end up with practice.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
When a pin feather first emerges, and is growing, they're uncomfortable, and if we attempt to assist in preening them at that stage, it hurts (and you'll be told). I'd say the first photo in Shezbug's post shows that stage.

In the photo I posted (not Marvin... she enjoys being preened, so she never looks like that), it looks like many of the feathers have fully grown and the sheathing is starting to crumble on its own. It's very easy to preen at this stage, but the middle ground is where you'll end up with practice.
My apologies to Marvin and much appreciation to all of you for your patient explanations. Pitchy really enjoys having the top of her head rubbed so hopefully she’ll let me help her preen.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rare is it that my little queen bean gets a pin feather on her body that she hasn’t immediately taken care of. Her head and neck however, well she’s of the opinion that her slaves need to get those. And she’ll bully her way into your hand and plop her face right into your fingers in order for you to provide grooming service. Heaven help you if you’re on the phone or otherwise occupied, because then she bites to remind you that it’s possible (and required) to multi task.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hey forum friends. Pitchy had had two orange poops. Is that just the carrots, red bell peppers and sweet potatoes mixed in her chop (with kale, broccolini and spinach) or should I be worried? Thank you.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey forum friends. Pitchy had had two orange poops. Is that just the carrots, red bell peppers and sweet potatoes mixed in her chop (with kale, broccolini and spinach) or should I be worried? Thank you.
@Mizzely

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Pitchy had had two orange poops. Is that just the carrots, red bell peppers and sweet potatoes
Highly likely you've identified the source.
It should return to normal when those foods completely pass, and less colourful items are eaten.
That's one of the reasons people aren't a fan of artificially dyed pellets... makes it more difficult to monitor poop for health issues.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like food. We like to notice different poops and keep a check on them but only really start worrying if the odd poops go on for a day or more. We will often get a poop that’s iffy or a surprising colour as a once off but it’s often due to foods just eaten.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mostly it’s just like being a mom to human kiddos. If you notice colored stools, think back to what they could have eaten- including weird things. I just purchased some colored wood toys in the SWS, and sure enough there have been some funny colors around the cages. I look for changes in stool quantity and viscosity more than I look for color.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are those test tubes on the wall? At first I thought it was a rain gauge, but that’s your kitchen. And you probably have a roof?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Of course add toys!
She looks fab!
Why am I not surprised? I feel like Queen Bean would have a bedazzle set for her toys if it were safe.
pitchy has taken to preening my many, many beauty spots and freckles on my hands and arms and sometimes misgauges! I now have many brown spots and a few red ones...

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Are those test tubes on the wall? At first I thought it was a rain gauge, but that’s your kitchen. And you probably have a roof?
Lol! Sharp eye! They are plant propagation tubes but they had non parrot approved plants in them. I’m adding one back in just to show you and will replace with parrot edibles from the garden tmo
image.jpg