• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Pitchounette

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
View attachment 383706 And today we made it up on my hand up the stairs to her bird safe room to explore. Not a single bite. I could have sworn she was intrigued by the jazz record I played for her...
so we made it into the garden today she seemed to love the sun I have a few welts from the last two days of teaching her bite inhibition (and can I say I do not have what might be termed delicate hands but holy ish those bites are no bueno) but totally worth it! 915A82D0-F5C7-4688-AF5A-50874F3252B8.jpeg

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
so we made it into the garden today she seemed to love the sun I have a few welts from the last two days of teaching her bite inhibition (and can I say I do not have what might be termed delicate hands but holy ish those bites are no bueno) but totally worth it! View attachment 383887
Surely I can’t be the only one loving that sassy look in her eyes in the photo!?
I bet she’s going to be quite the riot as she matures! Gotta love those too sharp baby beak grind and pinch owwies. But that most likely should get better with time.
It’s never a dull moment with these guys that’s for sure!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
We spent a few hours hanging out today. And there goes my no shoulder rule! She seems to have mostly learned bite inhibition but I know enough from dog training and kid raising not to think she’s internalized this nor to get attached to the notion that she’ll behave the same tomorrow. Still, I’m very content.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
We spent a few hours hanging out today. And there goes my no shoulder rule! She seems to have mostly learned bite inhibition but I know enough from dog training and kid raising not to think she’s internalized this nor to get attached to the notion that she’ll behave the same tomorrow. Still, I’m very content.
E67EF027-CD0E-4E06-B378-BF0A2F8D1690.jpeg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I love that picture. You both have the pleased as punch look on your faces.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I could caption that-

“We’re off to find adventure!”
Or “Nothing to see here! Just pretty girls hanging out!”

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And for the record, I have a no shoulder rule. It’s written somewhere. I’m positive I have it.
As for the birds? Well, they always laugh and tell me they can’t read.
Sometimes you win, other times you just launder the poo streak from your shoulder down your back and move on.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And for the record, I have a no shoulder rule. It’s written somewhere. I’m positive I have it.
As for the birds? Well, they always laugh and tell me they can’t read.
Sometimes you win, other times you just launder the poo streak from your shoulder down your back and move on.
Over the years i have learnt fish dont read books it appears birds dont either.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Is this a pin feather? Photo 1
I’m guessing wind is fine for her but can someone confirm? Photo 2 in garden -lots of wind.
ooops other way around for photo order

thanks all ECFDA6B9-EE12-4FE7-83BE-22B2914EEFEC.jpeg 981ED9C9-6470-4BB5-B638-E1EEC5B0B4E7.jpeg

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, just a stray feather. Pin feathers are feathers that still have a hard, almost waxy like sheath covering on them. If Pitchy lets you, you can groom that coating off- it kinda pops/crunches/puffs off in small flakes and then the feather emerges. I know @Wardy Mojo had a few pin feathers coming in, we might be able to get you a couple pictures.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
… oh right, and the wind. Mine have never been shy about the wind. But I do live where there’s a lot of it, and so maybe it’s acclimatization? But I go the route, if it’s too windy for me then it’s too windy for them. If not? Outside we go.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Wind won't harm her directly, but since wind will enhance whatever remaining lift she has in her wings, it could get her into trouble that way.
Thank you. So it might increase her risk if she flutter-flies?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There’s a good picture of one of Burt’s pin feathers somewhere on this forum lol. I’ll see if I can find the pic I my photo library and repost it if no one else has yet.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
So it might increase her risk if she flutter-flies?
Yes.

Consider the scenario...
  • gust of wind blows something over
  • making a loud bang
  • startles her into flight
  • so she's "flying" right when there's a strong gust of wind to provide additional assisted lift.
The thing about wind when it hits a vertical surface like your fence or house wall, is it needs to go somewhere, and in those cases, somewhere is often up, creating an up-draft... over the fence, or onto a roof. Watch what loose leaves do in your garden, and you might see an example of that. The risk increases or decreases based on what's on the other side of your fence (open field vs driveway vs roadway, for example), so consider your surroundings. It looks like she'd be safe if she fluttered 6ft, but what about 12, or 24? Those distances are possible during a gust of wind.

In general, there's risk having her outside without a harness, but it's amplified as the wind picks up.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Yes.

Consider the scenario...
  • gust of wind blows something over
  • making a loud bang
  • startles her into flight
  • so she's "flying" right when there's a strong gust of wind to provide additional assisted lift.
The thing about wind when it hits a vertical surface like your fence or house wall, is it needs to go somewhere, and in those cases, somewhere is often up, creating an up-draft... over the fence, or onto a roof. Watch what loose leaves do in your garden, and you might see an example of that. The risk increases or decreases based on what's on the other side of your fence (open field vs driveway vs roadway, for example), so consider your surroundings. It looks like she'd be safe if she fluttered 6ft, but what about 12, or 24? Those distances are possible during a gust of wind.

In general, there's risk having her outside without a harness, but it's amplified as the wind picks up.
Very helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to concretize this for me. I actually did not imagine she could go up that far and had myself deluded into thinking this was safe so I appreciate the reality check.
I just received the Aviator harness (petite) I had ordered today so will start introducing it tmo as I read that it takes a long time to acclimate to.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Clipping gives many owners a very false sense of security, many people have thought taking their clipped birds outside without a harness was completely safe, right up until they lost their bird.

Please consider getting a harness for outside so you know your bird can’t fly off or get caught up in a breeze and lost.

Edit: I just re read your post above this one and I see you’ve now got a harness :heart: