• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Pitchounette

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
She's beautiful! I remember the first time Kiwi ventured out was when I was trying to get her to step up a few days after bringing her home, as soon as I turned my back she decided to explore the room via flight attempt :lol:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Thats brilliant :yahoo:

Did she come out by herself ? First time Mojo came out of her cage i had to help her along.
No and i wouldn’t really count it as coming out of her cage. I’ve got an interesting set up where the downstairs cage she’s in is cage only because we have dogs and her cage with a play area is upstairs in a dog free room. So right now I’m just working in getting her to come to the perch attached to the door of the downstairs cage she is in. Yesterday I put the dogs in the yard and worked on putting my hand in and having her step into my hand and pulling my hand with her on it out of the cage. I have to make sure I have treats between my fingers of the other hand and to keep her focused on that or she’ll “explore” my holding hand with her beak —and yes, it hurts. So my goal is to figure out how to safely transport her upstairs to her play area cage so she can be out of cage for training. May be a while yet.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
She's beautiful! I remember the first time Kiwi ventured out was when I was trying to get her to step up a few days after bringing her home, as soon as I turned my back she decided to explore the room via flight attempt :lol:
Yes that’s what I’m afraid of so I’m working very slowly because I first have to make sure I can get her to a safe area upstairs before I can take the chance she’ll fly off.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Nope! Just means Pitchy is not as picky as my crowd! Adventurous eaters are a good thing!
She’s definitely food motivated lol!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
By the way, I know I’m officially smitten with her because I found myself making her chop before I made my coffee this morning. That’s a first.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Yes that’s what I’m afraid of so I’m working very slowly because I first have to make sure I can get her to a safe area upstairs before I can take the chance she’ll fly off.
Smart! That was back in August and she was only about two months old and clipped from her Aviary so she didn't get very far, but definitely a surprise. We now have a rule where she can only come out at the start of the day by my hand, and she has to be on her perch, no door clinging! :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No and i wouldn’t really count it as coming out of her cage. I’ve got an interesting set up where the downstairs cage she’s in is cage only because we have dogs and her cage with a play area is upstairs in a dog free room. So right now I’m just working in getting her to come to the perch attached to the door of the downstairs cage she is in. Yesterday I put the dogs in the yard and worked on putting my hand in and having her step into my hand and pulling my hand with her on it out of the cage. I have to make sure I have treats between my fingers of the other hand and to keep her focused on that or she’ll “explore” my holding hand with her beak —and yes, it hurts. So my goal is to figure out how to safely transport her upstairs to her play area cage so she can be out of cage for training. May be a while yet.
As i said Mojo come out on my hand the first time she was very nervous and then very overwhelmed, she has been out ever day since Saturday i took a cheeky day off work today she has been out 4 times about 5 hours in all i put her back when i had to do some stuff and left the room for a bit of time as she go's crazy if i leave.

Mojo isnt flying off me she flies to me if i put her down somewhere or when she leaves the cage but when she is on me so to speak she is on me.

I hear you about the nipping and biting my cheeky little girl certainly doesnt realise how strong her beak is i am not using food as a distraction however as once theres no food there will be the nipping.

So today a lot of time spent on training her not to bite my fingers.
I say no sternly and hold a finger on my free hand up pointing skyward if i see her go to nip the finger go's up not always a success but is working if she go's in for the bite stern no.

I am not using food doing this as i dont think its right to reward her for not doing something.

Her record from getting out of the door of her cage when i open it is 7 seconds, she does however use me as a climbing frame the whole time she is out.
Im going to buy a load of pvc pipe and joints and build her a play gym so so when she is out she can be close but will have something to occupy her.

I am not saying i am right with my approach but hopefully some food for thought.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
As i said Mojo come out on my hand the first time she was very nervous and then very overwhelmed, she has been out ever day since Saturday i took a cheeky day off work today she has been out 4 times about 5 hours in all i put her back when i had to do some stuff and left the room for a bit of time as she go's crazy if i leave.

Mojo isnt flying off me she flies to me if i put her down somewhere or when she leaves the cage but when she is on me so to speak she is on me.

I hear you about the nipping and biting my cheeky little girl certainly doesnt realise how strong her beak is i am not using food as a distraction however as once theres no food there will be the nipping.

So today a lot of time spent on training her not to bite my fingers.
I say no sternly and hold a finger on my free hand up pointing skyward if i see her go to nip the finger go's up not always a success but is working if she go's in for the bite stern no.

I am not using food doing this as i dont think its right to reward her for not doing something.

Her record from getting out of the door of her cage when i open it is 7 seconds, she does however use me as a climbing frame the whole time she is out.
Im going to buy a load of pvc pipe and joints and build her a play gym so so when she is out she can be close but will have something to occupy her.

I am not saying i am right with my approach but hopefully some food for thought.
That’s a really good point: I don’t want to inadvertently train her to expect treats for not biting. We’re on day 6 today and I’m expecting our beautiful tree stand from @JLcribber to arrive today so hopefully I will be able to get her into her bird safe space this weekend and see how we do. So far I’ve only gotten as far as having her on my hand while sitting on the couch five minutes while the dogs are locked out in the backyard. I’m focusing on just establishing positive associations with my hands and coming out of the cage. I’m still unsure how I’ll get her upstairs since I’m not sure she won’t flutter off my hand while walking. Then I’ve got to get her back. My setup definitely presents challenges but it’s the only way I can assure her safety whilst maximizing her time amidst family.
What do you do if she climbs up your arm? I’ve been strongly advised not to let her on my shoulder so when she’s tried going up my arm, I’ve put my arm back in the cage and wiggled her back onto a perch. Thoughts?
Are there particular training books you’re using? I’m finding myself referencing Good Bird and Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot a lot though it feels really different live than in print lol!
On an aside, I should be getting dna results soon.
Im also getting my first covid vaccine this afternoon so hopefully that doesn’t affect my training plans for the weekend.

arisparrot

Meeting neighbors
They're so cute!! Keep up the good work

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What do you do if she climbs up your arm? I’ve been strongly advised not to let her on my shoulder so when she’s tried going up my arm, I’ve put my arm back in the cage and wiggled her back onto a perch. Thoughts?
A little advice from an old soul. Take a deep breath and relax. You’ve got to stop over thinking a bit and just go with the flow more. Things are going to evolve the way they were meant to. You watch (more accurately keenly observe) you learn to read and you act accordingly. You’re going to be a great mom.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
A little advice from an old soul. Take a deep breath and relax. You’ve got to stop over thinking a bit and just go with the flow more. Things are going to evolve the way they were meant to. You watch (more accurately keenly observe) you learn to read and you act accordingly. You’re going to be a great mom.
Absolutely true and much appreciated!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s a really good point: I don’t want to inadvertently train her to expect treats for not biting. We’re on day 6 today and I’m expecting our beautiful tree stand from @JLcribber to arrive today so hopefully I will be able to get her into her bird safe space this weekend and see how we do. So far I’ve only gotten as far as having her on my hand while sitting on the couch five minutes while the dogs are locked out in the backyard. I’m focusing on just establishing positive associations with my hands and coming out of the cage. I’m still unsure how I’ll get her upstairs since I’m not sure she won’t flutter off my hand while walking. Then I’ve got to get her back. My setup definitely presents challenges but it’s the only way I can assure her safety whilst maximizing her time amidst family.
Are there particular training books you’re using? I’m finding myself referencing Good Bird and Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot a lot though it feels really different live than in print lol!
On an aside, I should be getting dna results soon.
Im also getting my first covid vaccine this afternoon so hopefully that doesn’t affect my training plans for the weekend.
I can only share my experience and Mojo is different compared to pitchounette as she was put back into the aviary so i was very cautious in building trust i also dont have dogs however she has been out daily since last Saturday and generally been allowing her to get used to the living room where her house is situated.
if she walks up my are i allow her to she has spent considerable time on my shoulder everything i have read says dont let your bird on your shoulder she wanted to go there so i let her i cant see the point of creating conflict by stopping her i do actively discourage her from nipping my ears though by giving a assertive no Mojo and moving my head.
I have been hanging a cover between the living room and the kitchen up until tonight when i dispenssed with it as every time i leave the room she go's crazy my wife suggested leaving it down so closed the blinds on the kitchen window and when i got up to go the fridge to grab a beer after putting her on the coffee table i heard her wings and then she was on my shoulder it has been a week of baby steps with her though.
I then needed to go the bathroom and i just thought well she needs to be going upstairs soon as the long term plan is she will be coming upstairs every morning with me to spend my working day with me so she was on my shoulder i went upstairs with her no issues she just clung to me.
I have since walker her around the house each room with her sitting on my shoulder there has been some biting and some nipping however dealing with that by telling her no assertively putting her down and turning my back on her.

If i put her back in her house i tell her to get on her perch she does i tell her she is a good girl give her a treat i havent read a book on parrot behaviour just reading info on here and asking questions here and trying as best i can to go with the flow its a learnig curve for the both of us.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
D17CCBAA-1E2D-4D00-B173-F723FB44028F.jpeg And today we made it up on my hand up the stairs to her bird safe room to explore. Not a single bite. I could have sworn she was intrigued by the jazz record I played for her...

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jazz?
My Queenie loves Ella and Billie!!

…she’s also a big fan of ZZ Top and Billy Joel.
She’s eclectic like that.
I’m so glad Pitchy is settling in.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pitchy looks happy

good to see her name has been shortened to something i can easily spell

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has Pitchy shown any interest in bathing yet?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Jazz?
My Queenie loves Ella and Billie!!

…she’s also a big fan of ZZ Top and Billy Joel.
She’s eclectic like that.
I’m so glad Pitchy is settling in.
This whole bird room is part of a healing process for me so it had to be equipped with a record player and two albums: Giant Steps by Coltrane and Blue in Green by Miles Davis (which was my second album -after MJ’s Off the Wall of course- as a kid).

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Has Pitchy shown any interest in bathing yet?
So glad you asked cause I was about to ask you about this! Nope. Not all. I’ve offered a large water bowl. So I’ve spritzed her twice so far. She seems ok with it.