• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas for a Solarium turned Aviary!

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi all! I am currently moving to a big house for the first time with my four birds (Goffins, bebe, mustache 'keet and soon a male indian ringneck)- and it has a solarium attached to the side of the house!! It is beautiful, warm and tiled and it is 100% going to be for the birds! We want to fill it with bird safe plants, stands, toys, etc. and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Any advice, must haves? I want to let my imagination run wild for a bit, so suggest anything! But if its budget friendly you get extra point ;)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Congrats on your new house! That must feel amazing!

Do you know Facebeak? On instagram she shares a lot of pictures and videos of the enclosure she has for her IR. There might be some good ideas there.

Be mindful of plants. I'm a plant lover, but my birds are as well. They are all bird safe and it's ok to me if they nibble on the leaves. But one of my birds loves the perlite in the soil. That is a big no no! They can not be allowed to dig in there. Because you never know what else is growing in there, plus... so much mess. I would suggest some nice big calatheas on the floor would be really nice!

And please share pictures with us when it's done!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Congrats on your new house! That must feel amazing!

Do you know Facebeak? On instagram she shares a lot of pictures and videos of the enclosure she has for her IR. There might be some good ideas there.

Be mindful of plants. I'm a plant lover, but my birds are as well. They are all bird safe and it's ok to me if they nibble on the leaves. But one of my birds loves the perlite in the soil. That is a big no no! They can not be allowed to dig in there. Because you never know what else is growing in there, plus... so much mess. I would suggest some nice big calatheas on the floor would be really nice!

And please share pictures with us when it's done!
That is SO funny that you mentioned Facebeak. The IR I am adding to my flock is a bird i've known since he was just weaning age and he is IN LOVE with her bird Vonnegut. It's one of his favorite things to watch on your phone and I swear he learned 75% of his noises from vonnegut. I will have to pay closer attention to what she's posting in that regard!

I wonder if there is any way to enclose pots to make them bird safe? I'm sure my cockatoo would figure out a way in regardless though, haha. My roommate is much more of the gardener than me, so I'll suggest the calatheas to him!

I will!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oooh my gosh, everything you've shared is amazing. Is there a particular person that you get your stands from?
Thanks! The vendors have gone out of business but @Macawnutz @JLcribber @Susan and Oliver will make pretty close items. Their shops Seriously Nutz, Parrot Paraphernalia and Oliver’s Garden. I haven’t had coffee yet so I probably haven’t included everyone :). Is there a tag for @vendors?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That sounds like a wonderful project!