• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want to start a bird rescue

Jhanna

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jhanna
Hi! I have spent countless hours reading threads on here learning how to care for my yellow-sided conure, Pebbles, as well as taking in as much general bird knowledge as I can and each day falling more in love with these beautiful creatures. It breaks my heart that there are so many birds out there who need rehoming. I have so much free time and space in my heart to give to helping rescue birds, and along with this, I live on an acre of land and have the means to build a very large aviary in my backyard to home the birds. I’ve been wanting to do this for so long and finally, really want to get started on this. If anybody has any advice, resources, or anything else helpful for me I would really appreciate it.
TLDR: I want to have a non-profit rescue but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you considered volunteering at a rescue for a bit to see exactly what is involved for hands on experience? I think this is probably the best way for you to learn what you need to know about running one.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Most rescues don't last very long without constant funding (veterinary costs, life long medications, food, cages, cleaning supplies, toys), and end up needing to be rescued themselves. I would much rather volunteer at an existing, trustworthy rescue than open up one. If you're able to, volunteer or even foster an animal in need.

Do think long and hard about it, because becoming a rescue is very demanding in every way; emotionally, physically, and financially.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I started my own. Things to consider:
Volunteer or better yet get on the board of directors for an existing- do this for some time-

find donors (not single donors- but people who will commit long term). But to do that you will need:

get your 501c3 status Remember- you cant run it out of your home for tax reasons in most cases.

budget- I know I had to budget about 900,000.00usd. You need to consider start up, plus first year (not quarter) operating costs(Including a tax accountant, attorney, etc)

be realistic about your facility- many facilities are not ideal with heating/cooling/plumbing. Consider renting vs owning. There are serious drawbacks (I am still (also) am on the board for a massive sanctuary in the United States ptopper....no waywe can rent, had to purchase outright as the mullacans, etc destroy every door frame! Lol)

finally: emotional.
it is a full time job. But taking an income is questionable on tax law. So I’m a research scientist, Working from the facility with the exception of my travel. But I don’t hold a 9-5 like most people.

you will see things you can’t unsee. You will feel more pain, rarely joy. The ‘happy endings’ are intensely financially taxing, and emotionally draining.

Set up your ‘team’ carefully. These are employees, not ‘friends’.

I’m on a bloody plane right now, I would go into more detail if I could. But basically:

I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I’m just a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Start small, build your reputation. I may only help a bird every year or two but I feel it makes a difference. You don't have to go all out and fill up your house. There are some serious ups and downs. Hearing your favorites pass away; getting those emails to place birds minutes after so much joy of finding a good home. It's a never ending cycle and can drain you emotionally and financially. Go slow and see if it's truly something you want to do.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
What about trying to foster for a while and see how that goes. Honestly, fostering/rescuing is REALLY hard and expensive. So I would get your toes wet with fostering and rescuing for birds for yourself first. Like I have always dreamed of having a small budgie sanctuary. Something I can easily self fund. I have been dreaming of this for years and am finally brought in my first budgie rescues (salt and pepper). I do recommend going slow and working your way to it that way you don't get overwhelmed.

I did foster some birds in need for a while. It was hard and emotionally trying honestly!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My birds have a large following on a FB parrot page. We rescued 11 parrots from a farm by fundraising. This was a year ago. My page has raised over 75 grand to do this. Let me tell you it is hard. I still owe money, lots of it. I hate asking for donations. While the birds are okay now, I still feel forever responsible for them and I am. I would never do it again. Do you know how much one really sick bird could cost you? 5 to 15 grand. If you are going to rescue you have to do right by them. Not half. All the testing as they are brought in and all the exit testing. Then the stress of worrying about them in their new placements. Of the 11 only 3 I don’t worry about. I know they are perfectly fine.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We're fostering now with the hopes of starting our own rescue. Just one or two at a time for many years.
Partnering with the rescue and fostering is huge. I can see just how hard it is to find these birds good homes! People are flaky, or don't understand the needs of the birds. I ignore every message that days "Interested. Price and location?" How about "Can you tell me a bit about the birds?"?!? People treat them like objects.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
That’s a super admirable idea. I often have the same thought(s). But it takes years of blood, sweat, tears... and lots and lots of cash. Obviously it can be done. But you need a true passion for it and willingness to sacrifice a LOT

Getting your feet wet with already established rescues is, in my opinion, the best course to action to take!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi! I have spent countless hours reading threads on here learning how to care for my yellow-sided conure, Pebbles, as well as taking in as much general bird knowledge as I can and each day falling more in love with these beautiful creatures. It breaks my heart that there are so many birds out there who need rehoming. I have so much free time and space in my heart to give to helping rescue birds, and along with this, I live on an acre of land and have the means to build a very large aviary in my backyard to home the birds. I’ve been wanting to do this for so long and finally, really want to get started on this. If anybody has any advice, resources, or anything else helpful for me I would really appreciate it.
TLDR: I want to have a non-profit rescue but I have absolutely no idea where to start.
As peachface mentioned, they usually don't last long.
I ran a rescue out of my home for a while. Since I had a large house, (3000sq ft) I made my family room, (21ft x21 ft) that was sepetate from living room, into a large bird room.
Over the years I had at least 30 birds total. It's a great idea, and seems fun. But let me share with the reality of it.
People get rid of birds because they're sick and don't know what to do or can't afford a vet. So make sure you have a large vet fund set aside. You will need it.
Next, you get birds that are badly mistreated, and require a lot of work just to get them to trust again.
Having a rescue is no cake walk, it's a 24/7 job. If and when your Sick or not, the birds have to be fed and cared for.
And yes the expense can take up, I won't lie about that.
I myself slowly back away from taking in anymore birds, and now just have my own birds.
All the birds have found good homes, and many of them I still see to this day how they are. Happy and content.
So, really spend a few months daily for 8 hours a day at a rescue and volunteer, you'll get a feel for what I'm talking about.
I'm not in anyway trying to discourage you, because it's great that someone of your nature has that heart of gold...
Just make sure you understand all the ropes to it.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That’s a super admirable idea. I often have the same thought(s). But it takes years of blood, sweat, tears... and lots and lots of cash. Obviously it can be done. But you need a true passion for it and willingness to sacrifice a LOT

Getting your feet wet with already established rescues is, in my opinion, the best course to action to take!
A lot of time and cash!! And a whole lot of love.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I honestly can't suggest anything that will help you in any practical way, but I honestly hope that one day you do manage to run a rescue successfully. I am sure everybody here does. So it's great that your first step is to reach out here! :)

People have given some great advice about taking it slow and being realistic in terms of funds and time. I'm sure fostering/volunteering is the best place to start? If you are in the US or UK people here might be able to suggest some locations for you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's admirable that you want to start your own rescue. It's not an easy job. I think it's also not a one person job. To receive tax deductible donations (and also apply for most funding that is sometimes offered) you have to be a registered 501(c)(3) with the IRS. To get that, you also have to be a registered nonprofit corporation with your state. You also have to have a separate bank account, etc for the rescue. Lining yourself up with a vet is crucial as the birds you take in often need immediate care. And sometimes vets will let a nonprofit pay off their bill over time. Sometimes. You should have a quarantine procedure set up. Also, having intake and adoption guidelines. Be prepared to be inundated with requests to take birds. It's sad. The rescue I help with doesn't have an actual facility at this point so all of the birds are in foster homes. We can only take in as many birds as we have foster space. So there is actually a wait list of people wanting to relinquish their birds. You of course need cages, toys, food. This all takes money. Fundraising is a constant struggle with any rescue. So you really need to think about how you are going to get money. Don't count on just donations. You have to actively fundraise. It can be done but it takes work and dedication. And you have to be prepared for the heartbreak too. You will see birds in conditions that are pretty horrible. And hear stories that will make you cry. There's joy and satisfaction too. And we need more rescues definitely. But it's not easy. Perhaps contact some rescues and talk to them to for suggestions too.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed with everyone else - starting up a rescue is hard! You will need to learn a lot about accounting, budgeting, and generally taking care of the financial side. You will need to have the correct registration to be recognised as a charity, which is important for tax purposes. Depending on what country you're in, your registration as a charity may mean that you need governing documentation and trustees. You may also need to be externally audited to make sure that your finances are sound and that you aren't embezzling money.

As an example, this is a guide to setting up a charity in England: https://www.gov.uk/setting-up-charity

Each country has different rules so you need to know what the process is for where you are.

You will also have to be good with people: with employees, with volunteers, with potential and actual funders, with veterinary staff.

You will probably be best served by volunteering with an established rescue: you might find that you get to help birds in a way that makes a difference but without the headache of running the rescue yourself. For example, you could foster birds; a large aviary means that you could offer a lifetime foster home for birds unable to be placed in a home environment. However, it can also be valuable for learning what goes into running a rescue. Being a trustee is an excellent way of learning about the hidden work that goes into running a charity.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
:heart: yours is a noble cause, i wish you much luck!

as you read, its hard. BUT i think it can also be rewarding. So long as you dont measure that reward in monetary income.

read the tips above, make a plan. Treat yours as a business. Make a businessplan, do financial research and make a financial plan. Do research into crowdfunding and marketing etc. In fact, do some business courses!

When you have a good plan, i will donate you a website and a domain, and i will devote time to keeping the software up to date etc.

you are on the right forum. When the time is there, ask the admins if they will allow you (i cant see why they would not) to advertise your crowdfunding. People are goodhearted by nature, and i think a cause like yours would receive more then enough money to last the first years, but you have to show people you are not a oneday fly. People want to have the idea their money (and in my case, time) is well spend.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's admirable that you want to start your own rescue. It's not an easy job. I think it's also not a one person job. To receive tax deductible donations (and also apply for most funding that is sometimes offered) you have to be a registered 501(c)(3) with the IRS. To get that, you also have to be a registered nonprofit corporation with your state. You also have to have a separate bank account, etc for the rescue. Lining yourself up with a vet is crucial as the birds you take in often need immediate care. And sometimes vets will let a nonprofit pay off their bill over time. Sometimes. You should have a quarantine procedure set up. Also, having intake and adoption guidelines. Be prepared to be inundated with requests to take birds. It's sad. The rescue I help with doesn't have an actual facility at this point so all of the birds are in foster homes. We can only take in as many birds as we have foster space. So there is actually a wait list of people wanting to relinquish their birds. You of course need cages, toys, food. This all takes money. Fundraising is a constant struggle with any rescue. So you really need to think about how you are going to get money. Don't count on just donations. You have to actively fundraise. It can be done but it takes work and dedication. And you have to be prepared for the heartbreak too. You will see birds in conditions that are pretty horrible. And hear stories that will make you cry. There's joy and satisfaction too. And we need more rescues definitely. But it's not easy. Perhaps contact some rescues and talk to them to for suggestions too.
This is if you're in the U.S. .......

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Another thing I'll point out too, if having a rescue, beware of the court spies or animal abuse operatives. They periodically pop in and act like a person wanting to buy a bird or adopt a bird. What they are really doing is looking for anyway to shut you down.
They look at the conditions, the health of birds, the food, and ask off the wall questions...watch for them.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:heart: yours is a noble cause, i wish you much luck!

as you read, its hard. BUT i think it can also be rewarding. So long as you dont measure that reward in monetary income.

read the tips above, make a plan. Treat yours as a business. Make a businessplan, do financial research and make a financial plan. Do research into crowdfunding and marketing etc. In fact, do some business courses!

When you have a good plan, i will donate you a website and a domain, and i will devote time to keeping the software up to date etc.

you are on the right forum. When the time is there, ask the admins if they will allow you (i cant see why they would not) to advertise your crowdfunding. People are goodhearted by nature, and i think a cause like yours would receive more then enough money to last the first years, but you have to show people you are not a oneday fly. People want to have the idea their money (and in my case, time) is well spend.
That's actually a good idea.