• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I've gotten myself into a problem

tesssaray

Moving in
so I've wanted a lovebird for quite some time and was unsure for awhile if I was going to get one or two as I've heard two can be a handful. I contacted a breeder who was super helpful, answered all of my questions and said he'd give me a mate for my lovebird free of charge. He seemed really nice. The birds are here and they are very beautiful. Very scared of me but interesting little guys. My problem is (please do not judge me for this) I was not home when the breeder came and dropped off the bird and it's things. Another family who helps me with the animals was there when the breeder came with the birds (the first time I went to him) one peach faced love bird and one Fischer love bird was brought. My brother did not know to question him as he thought they were just different colour mutations

Now I have one youngpesch faced lovebird and one fischer love bird. They seem to really get along. I've done mad research and I worry that they will fight when they reach sexual maturity or mate :/ would you advise splitting them up awhile they are still young? Placing them near eachother across the room from eachother ? I know there are exceptions to every pair and that lovebirds can be sweet to any bird but I've also read to be very careful. I wouldn't want them to get carried away one day. I also don't want them to become depressed if I separate them or to have unhealthy babies. I realize that this was a sketchy situation and I'm just looking to make things as easy and peaceful as I can for the birds!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They seem to really get along. I've done mad research and I worry that they will fight when they reach sexual maturity or mate :/ would you advise splitting them up awhile they are still young? Placing them near eachother across the room from eachother ? I know there are exceptions to every pair and that lovebirds can be sweet to any bird but I've also read to be very careful.

Yes you have to be careful but you can't cross that bridge until you get there. Separating them won't make any difference because they will still be in the same environment/interacting with each other when they're out. They will develop the kind of relationship they want either way.

tesssaray

Moving in
I was scared that I would be better off initiating this while they were still young. Do you think it would be a bad idea to put them in different rooms while they sleep and stuff? They are very young. Although Im not a bird expert I am under the impression that they are not truly bonded as much as they are just kind of scared and looking for comfort in eachother in their new surroundings.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you think it would be a bad idea to put them in different rooms while they sleep and stuff?
No. I think you should relax and quit over thinking what may or may not happen. Let them be happy. If that ever changes then you address and deal with it when it happens.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I wouldn't advise splitting them up, but I would advise not letting them breed, if you can. Make sure they have total darkness for 10-12+ hours a day to curb breeding hormones and don't provide them any nesting sites.

You could also invest in a second cage just in case they NEED to have their own spaces. My two lovebirds (a peachface and a peachface/blackmask hybrid) both have their own cages side-by-side, which they seem to enjoy.

tesssaray

Moving in
thats what I was thinking of doing with the cages beside each other but I guess I will see what happens in the future :) my biggest fear was them killing eachother or laying dozens of eggs all the time but from what I gathered on the internet it is possible for them to be in the same cage. I will do my best to prevent mating!!

were your love birds raised together and do you keep their cages open so that they can access eachother?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd let them be and just see how the relationship manifests. If they end up being BFFs, it's really an awesome thing to witness :) Even if they do end up needing to be separated, it is doable. I used to have a Hahns and a Green Cheek that hated each other (jealousy) but we managed :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
thats what I was thinking of doing with the cages beside each other but I guess I will see what happens in the future :) my biggest fear was them killing eachother or laying dozens of eggs all the time but from what I gathered on the internet it is possible for them to be in the same cage. I will do my best to prevent mating!!

were your love birds raised together and do you keep their cages open so that they can access eachother?
I wish you luck with that! I think you can even get hormone injections for the female to prevent her from getting broody.

My lovebirds were brought into my home separately. Guzma in early October and Yen in late November. They're kept in their cages at night, but otherwise are in and out of their cages all day. Surprisingly, he's way more interested in my cockatiel than Yen (which I'm not complaining about, tbh), and she's more interested in trying to mate with scissors, forks and my styluses than him (which can be annoying since I don't want to see her butt while I'm working, eating or playing games).

You have to remember that just because you have two birds of the same kind they might not want to mate with one another. Peach faces and eye ring lovebirds (like fischers) have entirely different social cues and mating habits. It CAN happen (Yen's a hybrid between a pf and an eye ring), but it's rare and really shouldn't be done. The birds crow up into very confused individuals who can have health problems and shortened lifespans.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Even if they were the same species, you still wouldn't know if they could be permanent cage mates until they reach maturity. Just keep an eye on them and play it by ear. You'll be fine. :)

tesssaray

Moving in
thank you for the advice :) !! I read some horror stories online but this place definitely eased my fears

tesssaray

Moving in
@Garet it sounds like your guys are very friendly!! and hilarious haha

You're totally right about them not necessarily wanting to mate. I often forget they aren't like cats or bunnies who just constantly mate. Do you have any suggestions for helping the little guys warm up to you? Mine seem super unfriendly. It hasn't been too long mind you and I realize its going to be a lengthier process than it would have been with just the one

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Garet it sounds like your guys are very friendly!! and hilarious haha

You're totally right about them not necessarily wanting to mate. I often forget they aren't like cats or bunnies who just constantly mate. Do you have any suggestions for helping the little guys warm up to you? Mine seem super unfriendly. It hasn't been too long mind you and I realize its going to be a lengthier process than it would have been with just the one
Hah, they are when they want to be. I still get bitten by both of them, even when one's in my shirt. Lovebirds are really fun little critters, if you don't mind being chomp'd or having your ear screamed into out of pure birdy joy.

As far as getting them to like you goes; them acting unfriendly at first is normal. They're scared, and you're a strange person keeping them in a strange house they've never been in. Give them a little while to adjust and start to talk to them sweetly. Bring them little pieces of millet, hang out around the cage while doing chores, read a book to them, anything to get them to realize you're not here to eat them. My lovebirds seem to adore it when I whistle the Adams Family theme for them, but any sort of whistling or music might help, too.

Please be mindful that they may be territorial of their cages and can bite pretty hard if they are. Set your hand on their cage once they start to seem to like you and see what they do. If they're scared or angry, back off and try again in a little while. Slowly start to increase the amount of time you put your hand on their cage without getting that negative reaction (offering fruits, vegetables, millet and other treats can help with this). Neither of my lovebirds really like having my hand IN their cage, but they tolerate having my hand on it or infront of it.

Once they're not afraid, you can set up a play area/training stand outside of their cage and let them out to train them to step up. Be aware that you can get bitten (and probably will, a lot), and the important thing is not to scream or give them a reaction. It can really excite them (and they might find it fun to make you screech or flail), and it can make a bite worse. Birds will also often explore a perch they're unfamiliar with with their beaks first, and sort of haul themselves onto it while holding on with their beaks, so not every bite will be an aggressive one. Now that my birds know me better, they tend to give little warning lunges first when they decide they don't like something I'm doing, like changing their food.

I know some people will tell you to clip their wings for training, but I don't think it works, personally. They'll have to use their beaks to climb, will have issues with flying, and might even be a bit more aggressive since they can't get away as easily.

Bear in mind that birds are not like dogs, who are often bred not to bite people. They're zany and silly and will bite you.

IMHO, putting up with being bitten is worth it when you have a tiny ball of fluff cuddled up in your shirt, peeping at you in her sleep.

tesssaray

Moving in
@Garet

I am pretty nervous about having the two of them as I was just planning for the one but I have hope now, thank you!!! I will probably be back with more questions sometime. but I will do so! They really are beautiful and I can't wait until they are a bit happier and comfortable. Thank you for all the tips :)

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Congratulations on your new little friends!

I've got a pf and blackmasked pair of lovebirds, purchased at different times, that live together quite well (though they do squabble like your typical married couple every once in a while).

I would think that yours were probably kept in close confines since they were young, assuming they were handfed and not parent raised, and would find comfort in each others company during this stressful time of change. I do second that you might want a second 'emergency cage' in case the two get too aggressive towards each other. I even separate my bonded pair into different cages at night so they could have a few moments of respite.

Do you know the sexes of your birds? Gender can play a significant role in whether your birds will be suitable cage mates for each other.

tesssaray

Moving in
I think the same :) they are still pretty young now. I came on this forum because i wasn't sure if they could peacefully live together but was scared that they were bonded. They get into little leg biting bickering once in awhile but they seem more in love than anything. I honestly kind of wish I had gotten one. I have the time and commitment to really bond with them but they seem to think I'm going to bloody murder them It seems extremely impossible to tame two together. I know I've asked but do you have any further tips on training or hand feeding ? Anything will help :)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I have a peach faced and a... whatever mutation Charlie is. Charlie is 2 and Sawyer (the peach faced) is one and a half. They don't like each other much but they mostly tolerate each other. They have seperate cages where they go to sleep and also if I have to leave the house. Otherwise they fly around the room and do whatever they want. I roll their cages into another room for them to sleep every night
I'm not too concerned if they were to mate and lay eggs (I discourage that behaviour though but if it happened) I would just dispose of the eggs as soon as possible. I don't need to bring any baby lovebirds into the world, two is enough work already lol!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think it could work too, my two are friends and their relationship is still growing, both are males and one is 4/5 years old and the other one a bit about a year old, they mega each other when the youngest was 8 months old.