• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Warned the neighbors and let Mango scream today. Was gone 50 minutes and he was still screaming. My
What brand was your bird already eating? If you don’t have the bag with the name on it you can post a pic and someone might be able to tell you what brand they are.
I don’t have as many options available to me as I’m not in the US but generally whatever brand your bird was eating before he came to your home should still be offered to him at least for now.
I’m hopeless at linking things with my phone but @Mizzely has a great write up about pellets that she will hopefully link for you.
ZuPreem Pasta Blend. Hes got quite a bit left.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you or anyone else have any insight y they pick certain people? It can’t be totally random.
They didn’t pick you- you picked them… they just fed you what they knew you’d want to hear and hoped you wouldn’t have the experience or have done enough research to know better.
It seems fairly common with rehoming large birds (and crap cars too lol) and is likely the same way they ended up with this bird in the first place- being told what a pleasure he was to share space with.
There’s not too many people who would willingly dive in head first to being regularly bitten, screamed at constantly, stressed, having furniture chewed to bits, paying thousands more annually for pet care than you would for a dog or cat etc so of course they will make it sound easier and more fantasy like than the reality.
The reason my reaction to your post saying you were going to meet this whispering very quiet bird was a laugh is because it was pretty obvious to me that they were lying to you…. it’s a cocky!

Unfortunately we live in a world where people don’t look out for others (humans and innocent animals alike) like they should- people are out to get what they want or need at any expense.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Toys can take time. It certainly did for Sam. He was abused actively and I’m not sure how long he would have lived if I hadn’t taken him. We started with cockatiel and budgie sized toys, and he was scared of them at first so I only put one or two in his cage - he wasn’t even mine when I bought him the cage, but the lady wouldn’t but him one, his feet were sore from clinging to the playtop of another cage. He became full of spice when he got the big cage and could actually get away from those people.

My first bird was a Scarlet Macaw, and he picked me. I offered pellets and soft mushy foods which he loved eating off a spoon.

He now plays and destroys full sized macaw toys nearly 8 years later. (Will be 8 years in October) He’s a sassy confident boy completely different than the fearful bird I brought home. It’s a learning curve but when it’s a good fit for everyone, there’s nothing like it. I hope you and Mango can work things out!

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Was gone 50 minutes and he was still screaming.
Did you have a webcam watching him to confirm that?

If not, it's possible he heard a noise in the hallway upon your return (keys perhaps, the elevator, etc) and started making noise at that point.

Yes, I'm being an optimist at this early stage of his life with you, but a webcam lets you be a realist.
  • If/when your condo board comes to you and says, "he's always screaming", you'll know if that really is the case.
  • If video reveals that he starts when the elevator opens, try getting off at the floor below and use the furthest stairs to quietly approach with your keys already out.
  • If he makes a noise when he hears voices in the hallway, that may be a clue to have him further away from your main entry.
If you practice leaving and return 15 minutes later, he will learn that you'll return -- shows him you're reliable and can be trusted.
Having a daily routine of going for a walk, for example, not only gives him time apart from you for practice, it also gives you time away from him (restores our patience reserves).

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I live in a condo duplex with detached garage. No webcam. He cant tell when Im home. I heard him from outside. Im pretty sure it was constant.

Now for COB Day 2 report… Its been 48 hrs since my I brought Mango home.
Today went much better than yesterday. There was no blood nor hysterics.

I introduced Mango to my attached neighbor and told him I will begin separation training today and to pardon the noise. He thanked me, said he doesn’t hear anything and its fine.

My other neighbor who came in to help me w the cage said he didnt hear anything until he came in my house.

Today I didn’t take Mango w me when I was leaving the room for few minutes. He screamed inconsistently. Sometimes right away and other times there was a delay. Treats seemed to help w the delay. Will try that again tomorrow. There was no delay yesterday.

He says something when I start to leave. Sounds like “where u going?” He says “good night bird” only when dark so I think his vocab has some context.

I tried not to make a fus with him when coming and going. Ur suppose to do that w dogs. Not sure if it carries over to birds.

Tonight is the first night for him to sleep in his cage. He only screemed twice! After that I could hear him climbing and talking but no more screams.

Its given me an opportunity to reconnect with my dove for bedtime cuddles that he missed the last couple nights. Although I’m truly, madly, deeply in love w Mango, my dove is my first love and deserves not to be sidelined. Although I love having a bird family, its tough to give them both attention.

Tomorow Im going to try to improve the situation more. Feed Mango in the cage to reinforce cage positivity. I might move my work station from my BR back to the living room so my neighbors hear less noise when I leave the room. Finally, I might move Mangos cage to the guest BR so he isn’t disturbed when I make coffee way b4 dawn.

Other than not getting much work done due to the Distractatoo and my house being completely TRASHED at the end of the day again, I’d say today was an improvement and a good day. I miss Mango not sleeping w me and look forward to seeing him tomorrow am.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
A good day 2.

I miss Mango not sleeping w me and look forward to seeing him tomorrow am.
If it makes you feel any better (and it will in the long run), you really shouldn't sleep with such a dusty bird in your bedroom.

Speaking of indoor air quality, HEPA air purifiers should be on your research list at some point (so should consistent use of ventilation).

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
A good day 2.

If it makes you feel any better (and it will in the long run), you really shouldn't sleep with such a dusty bird in your bedroom.

Speaking of indoor air quality, HEPA air purifiers should be on your research list at some point (so should consistent use of ventilation).
My god…do the revelations never cease…now I’m hoing to need an iron-lung?! I don’t think mango will be sleeping w me anymore. He needs a full night sleep. He doesn’t nap like dove.

Last edited:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Day 3…not off to a good start. Mango won’t stay on the perch, is targeting my feet for the first time and when I put my hand out for him to take him away from my feet he tried to strike. He hasn’t striked b4.

Not sure if its sleep deprivation. He’s had 3 nights of insufficient sleep. He woke up when I made coffee at 430 am (he went to bed at 8). Need to move his cage into the guest BR tonight. Was planning on locating the perm cage in the dining area where he can see the kitchen, living room and outside but that probably won’t work if he screams when I make coffee.

I’m not a replicator but something tells me toos are harder than human babies so I’m not sure y u guys said toos are the easiest bird to own. :wacky:

Edit…I do have good news this AM…he pottied on command again.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My god…do the revelations never cease…now I’m hoing to need an iron-lung?! I don’t think mango will be sleeping w me anymore. He needs a full night sleep. He doesn’t nap like dove.
I'd absolutely be careful of this. It's been a massive worry of mine for 15 years now. Since every bird I've had(Conures and Linnie) have had to sleep in my room for safety reasons. They aren't dusty species compared to a Too,Tiel or Grey but they do still produce dust and their droppings and wood dust from destroying toys all get into the air and to breath that in while you sleep especially can be very detrimental to your health. So definitely move him into another room asap.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Day 3…not off to a good start. Mango won’t stay on the perch, is targeting my feet for the first time and when I put my hand out for him to take him away from my feet he tried to strike. He hasn’t striked b4.

Not sure if its sleep deprivation. He’s had 3 nights of insufficient sleep. He woke up when I made coffee at 430 am (he went to bed at 8). Need to move his cage into the guest BR tonight. Was planning on locating the perm cage in the dining area where he can see the kitchen, living room and outside but that probably won’t work if he screams when I make coffee.

I’m not a replicator but something tells me toos are harder than human babies so I’m not sure y u guys said toos are the easiest bird to own. :wacky:

Edit…I do have good news this AM…he pottied on command again.
Who said toos were the easiest birds to own? I must have missed that post.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
As far as I'm concerned, the potty on command isn't a good thing.

There are threads on this. Here's just one:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I'd absolutely be careful of this. It's been a massive worry of mine for 15 years now. Since every bird I've had(Conures and Linnie) have had to sleep in my room for safety reasons. They aren't dusty species compared to a Too,Tiel or Grey but they do still produce dust and their droppings and wood dust from destroying toys all get into the air and to breath that in while you sleep especially can be very detrimental to your health. So definitely move him into another room asap.
Who said toos were the easiest birds to own? I must have missed that post.
kidding

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Need to move his cage into the guest BR tonight. Was planning on locating the perm cage in the dining area where he can see the kitchen, living room and outside but that probably won’t work if he screams when I make coffee.
Many people have separate sleep cages vs daytime. It sounds like that might be ideal for your layout and routine. Or they wheel the same cage to the appropriate location depending on time of day.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I suggested this before, but if you haven't already, I really encourage you to check out Pamela Clarke and Barbara Heidenreich on training, behaviors, etc. It is easier to prevent a problem then correct one. Getting bitten by a cockatoo is no joke. This bird doesn't really know you yet. I think you are doing well with him so far, but it takes time to build trust. As someone that recently almost had her ear cartilage pierced from a cockatoo, a bite is not fun. Also, cockatoos- or any bird- does better typically if their cage is where you spend most of your time.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Many people have separate sleep cages vs daytime. It sounds like that might be ideal for your layout and routine. Or they wheel the same cage to the appropriate location depending on time of day.
Wheeling sounds lik
I suggested this before, but if you haven't already, I really encourage you to check out Pamela Clarke and Barbara Heidenreich on training, behaviors, etc. It is easier to prevent a problem then correct one. Getting bitten by a cockatoo is no joke. This bird doesn't really know you yet. I think you are doing well with him so far, but it takes time to build trust. As someone that recently almost had her ear cartilage pierced from a cockatoo, a bite is not fun. Also, cockatoos- or any bird- does better typically if their cage is where you spend most of your time.
I missed the training referral. Just saved it.

U mean toos should spend most of their time in their cage?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Also, cockatoos- or any bird- does better typically if their cage is where you spend most of your time.
U mean toos should spend most of their time in their cage?
No, she means their cage should be in a central location within the home so our birds feel like they're connected with their flock (us).
Was planning on locating the perm cage in the dining area where he can see the kitchen, living room and outside
This is perfect if you wheel it into your guest bedroom for sleeping.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
No, she means their cage should be in a central location within the home so our birds feel like they're connected with their flock (us).
Yes, thanks. That's what I meant.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
They didn’t pick you- you picked them… they just fed you what they knew you’d want to hear and hoped you wouldn’t have the experience or have done enough research to know better.
It seems fairly common with rehoming large birds (and crap cars too lol) and is likely the same way they ended up with this bird in the first place- being told what a pleasure he was to share space with.
There’s not too many people who would willingly dive in head first to being regularly bitten, screamed at constantly, stressed, having furniture chewed to bits, paying thousands more annually for pet care than you would for a dog or cat etc so of course they will make it sound easier and more fantasy like than the reality.
The reason my reaction to your post saying you were going to meet this whispering very quiet bird was a laugh is because it was pretty obvious to me that they were lying to you…. it’s a cocky!

Unfortunately we live in a world where people don’t look out for others (humans and innocent animals alike) like they should- people are out to get what they want or need at any expense.
Regarding the picking…I thought u were talking about the birds picking people.

I didn’t consider sellers would lie.

Theres also a lot of online articles that state citrons are quiet or are the quieter cockatoo. If this bird is normal than those authors are lying also. There is nothing quiet or quieter about him.

He’s screaming now beyond the separation anxiety. He screamed what seemed like a warning about people outside. It went on and on long after they passed by. I had to get up to make him stop. He’s screaming to get to me from his perch. Im not giving in to him. He also seems to be screaming for no reason at all. Time out doesn’t work.

I’m hoping this is adjustment related and not normal.

I cant imagine the baby that I was considering could have been any worse.

Hopefully theres something helpful in the videos.

Going to eat lunch and call the vet.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Regarding the picking…I thought u were talking about the birds picking people.

I didn’t consider sellers would lie.

Theres also a lot of online articles that state citrons are quiet or are the quieter cockatoo. If this bird is normal than those authors are lying also. There is nothing quiet or quieter about him.

He’s screaming now beyond the separation anxiety. He screamed what seemed like a warning about people outside. It went on and on long after they passed by. I had to get up to make him stop. He’s screaming to get to me from his perch. Im not giving in to him. He also seems to be screaming for no reason at all. Time out doesn’t work.

I’m hoping this is adjustment related and not normal.

I cant imagine the baby that I was considering could have been any worse.

Hopefully theres something helpful in the videos.

Going to eat lunch and call the vet.
It takes a lot of patience and effort. When we first got my bird he spent a whole month screaming for no reason, specially when there was noone around, and suddenly it stopped. There are times when it comes back but it is way better now.

I also want to say that your commitment to bring the best for this bird is admirable. I think we have to remember ourselves that with bird it is often complicated and everything take time.