• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
It takes a lot of patience and effort. When we first got my bird he spent a whole month screaming for no reason, specially when there was noone around, and suddenly it stopped. There are times when it comes back but it is way better now.

I also want to say that your commitment to bring the best for this bird is admirable. I think we have to remember ourselves that with bird it is often complicated and everything take time.
Thank you so much for this. I really needed it. Its been a very hard morning. To make matters worse the dove is misbehaving also…all this while “TRYING” to work from home. Now I know why the mothers in the news stories pack all their kids into the car and drive it into the lake. I popped an anti-anxiety pill instead…AKA Daddy’s Lil Helper.

Noting “patience” and bookmarking ur post.

Thanks again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pooping on command is not healthy and is certainly not natural, can you just offer paper under any area the bird sits so you don’t chance serious health issues encouraging a natural function to be done on command?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Ralph my first slightly bigger parrot refused to poop on me. When he had to go he'd start getting antzy and I would hold him over a trash can or something safe and he'd go. If he was just hanging out some where he went when he needed to just like any other bird.
I don't remember trying to teach him to do it it just happened. I do think he learned I didn't like getting pooped on and I could tell when he needed to go.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Ralph my first slightly bigger parrot refused to poop on me. When he had to go he'd start getting antzy and I would hold him over a trash can or something safe and he'd go. If he was just hanging out some where he went when he needed to just like any other bird.
I don't remember trying to teach him to do it it just happened. I do think he learned I didn't like getting pooped on and I could tell when he needed to go.
Thats what my too is doing. I can tell when he has to go and then I tell him “potty”.

I had an amazon as s kid that I accidentally potty trained. Didn’t know it was a thing until I watched a YouTube video on it recently.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I wanted to end today, which had a rough morning and a challenging afternoon, on a positive note with mango. So, we had a cuddle before putting him to bed. For all his issues, he’s an epic cuddler. One his cuddles makes up for all the rough patches and makes my heart so full it over flows. We had a few more minutes after so I put him on a perch in the kitchen where I was cleaning up. He went into a 5 alarm scream with me a few feet away so there was no separation anxiety. I was able to quiet him dn. Soon he started saying good night…his cue for bedtime. I put him to bed in the guest bedroom where I moved his cage so he won’t be woken too early. As I was covering, he kept saying good night. Then for the first time he said “good night daddy.” :sad7:
I left wo a solitary scream…an improvement over last night. I left the door ajar so I could return the dove later. He could hear me finishing up around the house…still no scream. He seems to excel at bed time.

Question: What was the scream in the kitchen about?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I put him on a perch in the kitchen where I was cleaning up. He went into a 5 alarm scream with me a few feet away... What was the scream in the kitchen about?
My Jericho will scream when he wants something I'm not currently providing (most often he's ready to go upstairs for his afternoon solo play nap -- it's a thing).
In his case, I liken that specific scream (catalogued as his I'm annoyed scream) to a toddler who is crying and it's up to the parent to sleuth out what's wrong.
If that's what's going on, it's things like thirsty, hungry, tired... I didn't want to be on that perch, I want that other toy, I want to go back inside, etc.

When you've heard Mango's various screams in context more frequently, you may start to notice that kitchen scream is different from separation scream.

Eventually the subtle differences (tone, volume, frequency, cadence, etc) become intuitive.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
We can borrow those words and divert annoying sounds to words (capturing a behaviour, is the term, I believe).

Jericho knows how to say "here ya go" when he wants something, so when he screams for something, I delay offering it until he says, "here ya go".
When he screams to step up, I wait until he says, "step up" (or he just loses patience and flies to me).

He still screams sometimes, but it makes me feel like progress is being made :)

Of course, this is all context dependent -- sometimes it makes sense to capture an undesired behaviour into a desired one, while other times the undesired behaviour should be ignored.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
We can borrow those words and divert annoying sounds to words (capturing a behaviour, is the term, I believe).

Jericho knows how to say "here ya go" when he wants something, so when he screams for something, I delay offering it until he says, "here ya go".
When he screams to step up, I wait until he says, "step up" (or he just loses patience and flies to me).

He still screams sometimes, but it makes me feel like progress is being made :)

Of course, this is all context dependent -- sometimes it makes sense to capture an undesired behaviour into a desired one, while other times the undesired behaviour should be ignored.
Wow…that’s brilliant! So much to learn w these creatures. Bookmarking this too. I think Mango can learn. He picked up “daddy” since I got him. I think his speaking ability is above average for C2s. I think I read that being bird vocal can translate into being better mimickers. Thank you for this.

I need to teach him tricks too. I wasn’t planning on doing this cuz I don’t believe in making animals perform. I think it’s demeaning but hes is very bored and needs mental stimulation. Im having difficulty getting him interested in toys. Yesterday he did/chew play w one of the ones given to me but couldn’t get him to play with the ball I bought.

Anyway, I taught him one trick that he loves. He likes to flip upside down when held which he may have been taught b4. I turned that into catching him with my other hand cradling his back and rocking him while singing Rockabye Baby. He’ll do it over and over. He ends w a crest display and head bob that he punctuates with a click. (BTW…he makes R2D2 noises…boops and clicks. Are those bird or human sounds?) I ask him if he wants to do it again and he bobs yes and does another. I haven’t gotten him to let go of my hand yet while being cradeled, which would be, play-dead. I taught one of birds that when I was a kid. Anyway, can anyone point me to some trick videos? I started watching the suggested training videos last night.

Its after 6 AM here. So far everyone, including me who is a miserable insomniac, got a full night’s sleep! Boys are still in bed though. Dove let’s me know he wants up w a coo. I’m hoping Mango will chatter or learn to and not launch into a 5 alarm scream for everything.

The things I’m learning with Mango are helping with the dove. Also, I appreciate my Dove more. Even though he can be annoying too, his quieter temperament and low demand is a welcome reprieve from the toddler…er…Too. Also, putting mango to bed early last night, gave me a chance to spend time with Dove. He looks fwd to his evening cuddles and Im glad we can continue that tradition.

If I forgot to mention, we do have vet appointment sat. I’m doing my best to follow your guy’s guidance. This is one of the most challenging/stressful experiences of my life. I appreciate it as well as the ongoing support.

Ok…I got a very rare full nights sleep, am caffeinated and am ready to face to Day 4’s bird challenges!

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
here's some links in this thread below that could give you ideas. basketball is a fun one. there are also videos of birds doing things like pushing a teeny cart and loading it with teeny groceries, etc. youtube has many ideas
Bird Training Videos

I'd suggest training helpful things also. like holding foot up for nail trimming, toweling without stress.
and recall (flying to you on command) be sure to put it on command only for a reward otherwise you'll create a monster.
also teach him to fly from a high point to a lower point, this is good if he escapes to a tree outside. Many indoor birds have problems flying down.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
here's some links in this thread below that could give you ideas. basketball is a fun one. there are also videos of birds doing things like pushing a teeny cart and loading it with teeny groceries, etc. youtube has many ideas
Bird Training Videos

I'd suggest training helpful things also. like holding foot up for nail trimming, toweling without stress.
and recall (flying to you on command) be sure to put it on command only for a reward otherwise you'll create a monster.
also teach him to fly from a high point to a lower point, this is good if he escapes to a tree outside. Many indoor birds have problems flying down.
Thx. Yes helpful tricks would be best.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Related to your vet visit: voluntarily entering his travel carrier and accepting a harness makes it easy to safely take him outside.
He’s good w the carrier. But it would be cool for him to get in by himself.

I need to get a harness. Hes clipped now but I’d like him to have more flight feathers eventually. He cant fly now but Im not comfortable taking him on long walks wo a harness.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
He’s good w the carrier. But it would be cool for him to get in by himself.

I need to get a harness. Hes clipped now but I’d like him to have more flight feathers eventually. He cant fly now but Im not comfortable taking him on long walks wo a harness.
Even a clipped bird can fly if they get spooked. Your bird is not used to you after 4 days so a carrier would be best until your cockatoo is harness trained.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
U mean toos should spend most of their time in their cage?
The cockatoos I foster do spend most of their time either in or on their cages. I do put them on foraging trees and training stands for short periods of time, but they prefer their cage at this point -- and I am okay with that. During the day, when I am home (though not always in the same room), the cage door is open, and they go in and out as they please. I have not had a hard time getting them into their cages when I have to leave or it is nighttime -- when needed, I drop a pine nut in their "treat bowl" (an extra bowl that is usually empty!), and in they race. ;)

Currently I have a Goffin's cage next to a window (against a wall, but he still has a bit of a view), and he makes a big old ruckus when he sees anyone outside. I could move his cage, but usually I just tell him, Oh I see that person, and then close the blinds for a bit. Fortunately he always stops screaming -- so far. I am sure something else will arise one of these days! (again, creativity abounds...)

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Even a clipped bird can fly if they get spooked. Your bird is not used to you after 4 days so a carrier would be best until your cockatoo is harness trained.
Thanks. He can’t at all. He hits the ground like a rock so hard Im afraid hell be injured. I have to be careful he doesn’t fall. Ordering a harness and getting second job to pay for the feathered money pit today.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
The cockatoos I foster do spend most of their time either in or on their cages. I do put them on foraging trees and training stands for short periods of time, but they prefer their cage at this point -- and I am okay with that. During the day, when I am home (though not always in the same room), the cage door is open, and they go in and out as they please. I have not had a hard time getting them into their cages when I have to leave or it is nighttime -- when needed, I drop a pine nut in their "treat bowl" (an extra bowl that is usually empty!), and in they race. ;)

Currently I have a Goffin's cage next to a window (against a wall, but he still has a bit of a view), and he makes a big old ruckus when he sees anyone outside. I could move his cage, but usually I just tell him, Oh I see that person, and then close the blinds for a bit. Fortunately he always stops screaming -- so far. I am sure something else will arise one of these days! (again, creativity abounds...)
Like the treat bowl idea.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Almost noon here. I think we’ve made a quantum leap forward. Everyone slept so Mango isn’t cranky and I’m not ragged, stressed and emotional. Only separation screams which are actually not that bad…at least initially. Reconfigured everything…cage, furniture, perches. Sleep and reconfig helped a lot. I’m actually getting work done today and Mango and I are finally able to really enjoy each other. He ain’t going anywhere.