• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thx for the cage advice. I won’t get the old one then. My neighbor is going to help me fix up the tmp cage w perches. Hopefully it will get us by until we pass probation and get the new one.
Honestly I think it is the fate of any bird owner. :)
That made me laugh @ indeed...just finished cleaning again! It's something I share with people thinking of adding a parrot. Way messier than you imagined!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some distilled points from me for emphasis.
  • It's way too early to determine Mango's ultimate personality and fit -- don't judge the situation too quickly.
  • Don't change your routine to accommodate Mango in any way that you're not willing/able to maintain -- take a long term view to determine what's sustainable, he can adapt to your routine and it's best if he starts right away while his world is already in such large upheaval.
All the questions you'll encounter will find experienced answers here, so please keep asking questions.

Regarding mess however, we can only offer suggestions to help confine it to specific areas and/or become more efficient at cleaning it because the mess creation is inevitable :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes but will mine? I cleaned house yesterday. Today it is completely trashed…and the day is only half over. Cleaned sheets full of dander cuz someone got in bed for cuddles at crack o dawn.
Welcome to bird ownership. Though I would have thought you had lots of dander/dust with your dove anyway.

:(
I test flew him. He totally face planted. Smacked his beak on the floor. :( He cant fly at all.
Be sure to bird proof your home. Don´t give him enough access to be able to fall enough to get hurt, a keel bone can easily split.
If he had a hard fall, take him to the vet sooner rather than later, you can have the wellness check with disease testing at the same time as checking he´s ok from that fall.
Get some yoga mats, towels, anything plush to line floors with. Reduce access to smaller areas so he can´t go in another room and try ¨flying¨ there and get hurt.
Ladders and long ropes to help him get around are important.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Some distilled points from me for emphasis.
  • It's way too early to determine Mango's ultimate personality and fit -- don't judge the situation too quickly.
  • Don't change your routine to accommodate Mango in any way that you're not willing/able to maintain -- take a long term view to determine what's sustainable, he can adapt to your routine and it's best if he starts right away while his world is already in such large upheaval.
All the questions you'll encounter will find experienced answers here, so please keep asking questions.

Regarding mess however, we can only offer suggestions to help confine it to specific areas and/or become more efficient at cleaning it because the mess creation is inevitable :)
Thanks.

I’m kidding bout mess. Its bad but I can deal w it.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I want to offer you "congratulations" with the caveat that your life will never be the same -- for mostly good, but also difficult, reasons!

Please know that even if a bird has clipped wings and doesn't seem capable of flight, they can still catch an updraft and go quite a distance, particularly if they are spooked. Then, getting a bird who has flown UP has a really hard time figuring out how to come DOWN, even if they really want to.

I am currently fostering a Goffin's cockatoo, and having a monster of a time figuring out how to get him to bathe. It is really the best way to keep the powder down to a minimum -- along with feeding a proper diet. I've tried misting sprays (I know a former owner used a spray bottle as "discipline"* so I think he sees it in the same fashion), a shallow dish of water in the bottom of his cage, a deeper dish of water with clean rocks on the top of his cage, dripping and running water in the sink -- but he won't even go near the bathroom where I could run a shower. I am currently working on target training to get him at least close to the bowls of water (he is food motivated), but its a longer go than I expected.

Any parrot, but especially 'too's, will push you to be more creative than you ever thought possible. You will spend hours online, trying to figure out one weird behavior, and end up knowing way to much about parrot puberty. Your skin will become thicker or your pain tolerance higher -- or maybe just the opposite will happen. Personally, I spend more time in the kitchen preparing food for two parrots than I do on food for myself, and then I spend even MORE time making toys that I hope they will destroy. Of course, when you have a "breakthrough" with them -- whether it's behavior or trick training or getting them to love the healthy food you slaved away over -- it is so very worth it!

*One note, in case you don't know: "disciplining" a parrot never works in the long term. They are not domesticated, like cats and dogs, and we as caretakers have to figure out a different way of communicating with them. If they want attention, and when they scream you turn around to yell at them (or reassure them or take them with you), you are reinforcing the screaming (behavior) -- because it got them what they wanted. Of course, screaming can happen for a number of reasons (contact calling at dawn or dusk, hormones, fright, excitement, etc). Even with a parrot who likes you, it is a long term process to develop a healthy relationship with a bird -- if you have the dedication and patience, it is very rewarding.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I took him to the bird store with me to get supplies since he won’t let me leave him alone yet. BTW the owner gave me crap formed food, like colored kibble. Shop recommended something different with lots of natural stuff in it like seeds, nuts and dried fruit.

The store was extremely busy and loud with customers and birds. Mango was excited…displaying the entire time and vocalizind loud and nonstop. I didn’t realize he was agitated. I was talking to a customer who was helping me with resources…cages…vet. When she was admired mango I told her best not to touch him. The clerk started petting him though. I think I warned her too but was distracted by the conversation. Mango was enjoying it but then he bit her hard drawing blood. They went dn to the floor. I had to pry him off. A few minutes later he bit me when I offered a toy to see if he was interested in it and drew blood. Second lesson of day. It was obviously too much for him. Purchased my supplies and took him st8 home. Wasn't able to stop to get his fruit. Wish I had someone to watch him so I can go out.

BTW..the customer that I was talking to remarked on Mangos exceptional temperament (this was b4 the blood bath) and said his temperament and condition doesn’t reflect the living cond that I described. She asked if I thought he was stolen. :jawdrop1: I think the “owner” lied about everything. None of it lines up.

I bought a ball and wood sticks as suggested here and a cpl other things. There was no balsa.

Hes plucking under a wing and back. Not sure when this started.

The learning curve for this guy is sure long. Its like having a baby but wo the shower.

Please file this post with my other posts Everything You Shouldn't Do with a Cockatoo.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took him to the bird store with me to get supplies since he won’t let me leave him alone yet. BTW the owner gave me crap formed food, like colored kibble. Shop recommended something different with lots of natural stuff in it like seeds, nuts and dried fruit.

The store was extremely busy and loud with customers and birds. Mango was excited…displaying the entire time and vocalizind loud and nonstop. I didn’t realize he was agitated. I was talking to a customer who was helping me with resources…cages…vet. When she was admired mango I told her best not to touch him. The clerk started petting him though. I think I warned her too but was distracted by the conversation. Mango was enjoying it but then he bit her hard drawing blood. They went dn to the floor. I had to pry him off. A few minutes later he bit me when I offered a toy to see if he was interested in it and drew blood. Second lesson of day. It was obviously too much for him. Purchased my supplies and took him st8 home. Wasn't able to stop to get his fruit. Wish I had someone to watch him so I can go out.

BTW..the customer that I was talking to remarked on Mangos exceptional temperament (this was b4 the blood bath) and said his temperament and condition doesn’t reflect the living cond that I described. She asked if I thought he was stolen. :jawdrop1: I think the “owner” lied about everything. None of it lines up.

I bought a ball and wood sticks as suggested here and a cpl other things. There was no balsa.

Hes plucking under a wing and back. Not sure when this started.

The learning curve for this guy is sure long. Its like having a baby but wo the shower.

Please file this post with my other posts Everything You Shouldn't Do with a Cockatoo.
You'll probably have better luck ordering from a reputable online store when it comes to toys and perches vs a pet store. Not only is there risk of diseases there from the birds they are selling but most pet stores unless parrot specific won't usually have a large selection of interesting and engaging toys.
But I can understand your immediate need of things for him at the moment so just mentioning that for future reference:).
Yikes that's unfortunate that he bit someone else including you, id be extremely leery about taking him out and about not in a cage that people can't stick their hands in.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If he’s eating pellets I strongly suggest you stick to feeding him pellets instead of a high seed and nut diet. Pellets are better for their health.
I also would keep him out of pet stores that have birds as disease can be spread easily- I won’t even buy items for my birds from stores that have birds in them.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
You'll probably have better luck ordering from a reputable online store when it comes to toys and perches vs a pet store. Not only is there risk of diseases there from the birds they are selling but most pet stores unless parrot specific won't usually have a large selection of interesting and engaging toys.
But I can understand your immediate need of things for him at the moment so just mentioning that for future reference:).
Yikes that's unfortunate that he bit someone else including you, id be extremely leery about taking him out and about not in a cage that people can't stick their hands in.
No more touching the tetradactyl…even if u r bird expert.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No more touching the tetradactyl…even if u r bird expert.
A wise choice until you've had him a bit longer for sure. I talk from experience I've been bitten in the face and arm by a cockatoo and it certainly leaves a lasting impression.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My buddy MC would bite me when excited. It's what a parrot does, they speak with their beak.

I loved the comments about mess. I remind my husband we don't have to walk a dog in bad weather.... so what's a "Secret" mess isn't really that bad. It's contained and no snow, rain, thunder storm on us while cleaning it.

The noise level? That's a constant read and search. Hubby tells me Secret is quiet when I'm gone. It's me that causes racket.

I will tell you, STRONGLY tell you, parrots read our emotions. If you are frantic or worried, they FEEL that and react.

Deep breath and take it a day at a time. Don't hover over the parrot because you can't be there 24/7. You have to live. I'd take it slow..... tell parrot I'll be right back and walk away for a short time even if it's in the hallway. SLOWLY, slowly work on extending the time.

You can do this.

I seriously do not know cockatoos so listen to folks that have them. I didn't know BIRDS at all when I rescued 2 blue front amazons that were dna males. Look at my name on here. It was chosen for a reason.

Don't think harsh on our members. If I'd have asked folks opinion before getting MC and Secret, I'm sure I would have been told not to. I'd have missed the years with MC and he would not have been loved the last years of his life.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I took him to the bird store with me to get supplies since he won’t let me leave him alone yet... Wish I had someone to watch him so I can go out.
As I commented previously, start establishing the habits and routines you want to become entrenched now, otherwise what you're currently doing will be the de facto norm and deviation down the road will be a problem.

If he screams when you leave, that's fine -- it's providing him an opportunity to practice calming himself (on his own) which is a healthy capability for our birds to possess.
She asked if I thought he was stolen. :jawdrop1: I think the “owner” lied about everything. None of it lines up.
If that's the vibe you're getting, check with vets, local lost & found groups, etc to see if anyone reported an individual like him lost.

Does he have a leg band or chip? Does he respond to his name or say it?

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
As I commented previously, start establishing the habits and routines you want to become entrenched now, otherwise what you're currently doing will be the de facto norm and deviation down the road will be a problem.

If he screams when you leave, that's fine -- it's providing him an opportunity to practice calming himself (on his own) which is a healthy capability for our birds to possess.

If that's the vibe you're getting, check with vets, local lost & found groups, etc to see if anyone reported an individual like him lost.

Does he have a leg band or chip? Does he respond to his name or say it?
He has a band. I dont think he has chip but i plan to chip him. I asked the prev owner but he didnt reply.

Actually, I recall an add for a lost citron. He doesn’t say his name.

Grace period ends tonight. Will try to ignore him tomorrow after my neighbors r awake.

I just asked the owner if he screamed when they left the room. He said no…never…just when hungry. Maybe he just wasn't attached to anyone in the fam. It was the fathers bird but the father seemed like he could care less about him. Maybe the bird sensed the father didn't love him so he didn’t attach to him. I’m thinking if the owner is being truthful then maybe the separation anxiety can be resolved.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t believe the owner is being truthful to you, if they’d told you he screams a fair bit would you have been interested and willing to hand over a heap of cash? Birds will attach to anyone they decide to like even the human isn’t interested or fond of them.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
My buddy MC would bite me when excited. It's what a parrot does, they speak with their beak.

I loved the comments about mess. I remind my husband we don't have to walk a dog in bad weather.... so what's a "Secret" mess isn't really that bad. It's contained and no snow, rain, thunder storm on us while cleaning it.

The noise level? That's a constant read and search. Hubby tells me Secret is quiet when I'm gone. It's me that causes racket.

I will tell you, STRONGLY tell you, parrots read our emotions. If you are frantic or worried, they FEEL that and react.

Deep breath and take it a day at a time. Don't hover over the parrot because you can't be there 24/7. You have to live. I'd take it slow..... tell parrot I'll be right back and walk away for a short time even if it's in the hallway. SLOWLY, slowly work on extending the time.

You can do this.

I seriously do not know cockatoos so listen to folks that have them. I didn't know BIRDS at all when I rescued 2 blue front amazons that were dna males. Look at my name on here. It was chosen for a reason.

Don't think harsh on our members. If I'd have asked folks opinion before getting MC and Secret, I'm sure I would have been told not to. I'd have missed the years with MC and he would not have been loved the last years of his life.
Thanks a lot.

I rather wipe up bird poop a 100x a day than stick my hand in a stinky dog pile and take it hm.

Got thru day one. I feel like I survived the gauntlet. Exhausted isn’t the word.

Will work on the separation anxiety as suggested.

Last edited:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
doesn't seem capable of flight, they can still catch an updraft and go quite a distance, particularly if they are spooked. Then, getting a bird who has flown UP has a really hard time figuring out how to come DOWN, even if they really want to.

I am currently fostering a Goffin's cockatoo, and having a monster of a time figuring out how to get him to bathe. It is really the best way to keep the powder down to a minimum -- along with feeding a proper diet. I've tried misting sprays (I know a former owner used a spray bottle as "discipline"* so I think he sees it in the same fashion), a shallow dish of water in the bottom of his cage, a deeper dish of water with clean rocks on the top of his cage, dripping and running water in the sink -- but he won't even go near the bathroom where I could run a shower. I am currently working on target training to get him at least close to the bowls of water (he is food motivated), but its a longer go than I expected.

Any parrot, but especially 'too's, will push you to be more creative than you ever thought possible. You will spend hours online, trying to figure out one weird behavior, and end up knowing way to much about parrot puberty. Your skin will become thicker or your pain tolerance higher -- or maybe just the opposite will happen. Personally, I spend more time in the kitchen preparing food for two parrots than I do on food for myself, and then I spend even MORE time making toys that I hope they will destroy. Of course, when you have a "breakthrough" with them -- whether it's behavior or trick training or getting them to love the healthy food you slaved away over -- it is so very worth

*One note, in case you don't know: "disciplining" a parrot never works in the long term. They are not domesticated, like cats and dogs, and we as caretakers have to figure out a it! way of communicating with them. If they want attention, and when they scream you turn around to yell at them (or reassure them or take them with you), you are reinforcing the screaming (behavior) -- because it got them what they wanted. Of course, screaming can happen for a number of reasons (contact calling at dawn or dusk, hormones, fright, excitement, etc). Even with a parrot who likes you, it is a long term process to develop a healthy relationship with a bird -- if you have the dedication and patience, it is very rewarding.
I want to offer you "congratulations" with the caveat that your life will never be the same -- for mostly good, but also difficult, reasons!

Please know that even if a bird has clipped wings and doesn't seem capable of flight, they can still catch an updraft and go quite a distance, particularly if they are spooked. Then, getting a bird who has flown UP has a really hard time figuring out how to come DOWN, even if they really want to.

Any parrot, but especially 'too's, will push you to be more creative than you ever thought possible. You will spend hours online, trying to figure out one weird behavior, and end up knowing way to much about parrot puberty. Your skin will become thicker or your pain tolerance higher -- or maybe just the opposite will happen. Personally, I spend more time in the kitchen preparing food for two parrots than I do on food for myself, and then I spend even MORE time making toys that I hope they will destroy. Of course, when you have a "breakthrough" with them -- whether it's behavior or trick training or getting them to love the healthy food you slaved away over -- it is so very worth it!

*One note, in case you don't know: "disciplining" a parrot never works in the long term. They are not domesticated, like cats and dogs, and we as caretakers have to figure out a different way of communicating with them. If they want attention, and when they scream you turn around to yell at them (or reassure them or take them with you), you are reinforcing the screaming (behavior) -- because it got them what they wanted. Of course, screaming can happen for a number of reasons (contact calling at dawn or dusk, hormones, fright, excitement, etc). Even with a parrot who likes you, it is a long term process to develop a healthy relationship with a bird -- if you have the dedication and patience, it is very rewarding.
I lost my dove with clipped wings recently. By the grace of god he was rescued by a knight in shining armour.

Thanks for the separation anxiety advice. I’ve been doing everything wrong. Need to nip it in the bud tomorrow.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Got thru day one. I feel like I survived the gauntlet. Exhausted isn’t the word.
For what it's worth, it gets easier.

I'm sure each of us could share the same experience -- things that required thought and were difficult at first, are now habitual/reflexive and much easier (like any skill acquisition).

Last edited:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
For what it's worth, it gets easier.

I'm sure each of us could share the same experience -- things that required thought and were difficult at first, are now habitual/reflexive and much easier (like any skill acquisition).
Good to know…thanks.

The 24 hr grace period has ended. Today’s the big day…separation anxiety training. He’ll have to stay in his cage when I run a cpl errands and to sleep tonight. How long do u think he’ll scream b4 quieting down? Question open to all the Too mentors.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
If he’s eating pellets I strongly suggest you stick to feeding him pellets instead of a high seed and nut diet. Pellets are better for their health.
I also would keep him out of pet stores that have birds as disease can be spread easily- I won’t even buy items for my birds from stores that have birds in them.
Thx. I just bought him a bag of the mix. I don’t want to waste it. Plus he really likes it. I’ll mix it with the pellets. Is there prefer brand of pellets?