• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
cockatoos like my quakers are re homes for screaming in huge numbers. Tho toos beat my quakers hands down.

I do think you can make progress and see reduction in screaming. But what you are left with may still be more than you and neighbors can tolerate.

It's takes much like what's already been mentioned, a whole bird and environment make over. That's where I start with screamers before direct behavior modification. A great and healthy diet, a great cage, lots of perch size, filled with different hardness chew stuff and a mix of toys in the noise maker, foot toys, manipulation toys, foraging toys. Several out of cage hang out spots. And a health exam by veterinarian.

Then for me its all about preventing screaming sessions from getting started as much as possible, knowing triggers. I've found ignoring screaming does nothing to stop it. So I interrupt, and redirect as soon as it starts. Lots and lots of praise when quiet . And I've had to build off quit times of mere miniuts and create habits of quiet.

There can be some success with pairing with soothing music. You start out by playing soft soothing music in the evening as tgey go to sleep, and when they nap. After that pattern is established, you can play the music to induce calm at other times with some success.

Someplace I've really given detailed screaming help advice. Maybe I can find that post and link.
Good advice thanks.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
I have a general question to ask: regardless of @animalvr bird and the stressful situation, at a more general level, is it not « normal » that a bird can be stressed by a new environenment and therefore express it by screaming?

I am not an expert, I am here and learn everyday, but I would not find crazy to consider that right now it can be very very difficult as long as the bird is very stressed. Once again I never encountered a bird such as this one, and I do not know the amount of stress when we consider it as an individual with poor conditions in the past, could experience.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The owner said he takes him to the vet to get clipped and and bathed. I asked for receipts and any paperwork on the bird. He replied he didn’t rcv any which was and obvious lie. Who doesn’t keep a vet file on their pet?
It sounds like these were just grooming visits. I don't keep records of those either.

But as far as other vet visits, it could have been a lie or they may well have tossed the paperwork. If they will tell you which vet they used, you may be able to call and get Mango's records.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Upside is the dove and him are getting along. I thought my dove would be terrified but he wanted over to us and we are all together now.

The doves crowing sets mango off screaming. Mango is a talker. At bed time he kept saying night-night. If he picks up the annoying crowing Im screwed.

Mango is on my lap and the dove is happy cooing behind my neck. The dove just jumped on mangos back to hop over him.

Now to figure out if Im going to rent a truck and get the old cage or fix up the temp cage. I don’t really want go back. That place had bad juju.

They gave me a filthy perch stand… the kind with branches that u guys recommended. Need to hose it off.

I’m feeling more optimistic now and not hysterical. Thanks for the support.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
It sounds like these were just grooming visits. I don't keep records of those either.

But as far as other vet visits, it could have been a lie or they may well have tossed the paperwork. If they will tell you which vet they used, you may be able to call and get Mango's records.
Good suggestion. Just asked.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Upside is the dove and him are getting along. I thought my dove would be terrified but he wanted over to us and we are all together now.

The doves crowing sets mango off screaming. Mango is a talker. At bed time he kept saying night-night. If he picks up the annoying crowing Im screwed.

Mango is on my lap and the dove is happy cooing behind my neck. The dove just jumped on mangos back to hop over him.

Now to figure out if Im going to rent a truck and get the old cage or fix up the temp cage. I don’t really want go back. That place had bad juju.

They gave me a filthy perch stand… the kind with branches that u guys recommended. Need to hose it off.

Whatever happen try to stay calm and relaxed. I know it is not easy in these moments, but being stressed or not is not going to change anything. Just do your best.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I'd keep a very careful eye on your Dove for a multitude of reasons. Especially since proper Quarantine wasn't followed unfortunately Mango could have any number of diseases that could be transferred to your Dove.
Secondly I'd absolutely not let them interact anywhere near each other. Not to sound overly dramatic because that's not my intention but Mango could kill your sweet Dove in a heartbeat. Not saying he would be malicious in doing so but he's so much stronger than your Dove and in the blink of an eye especially when they don't know each other he could lash out in fear or frustration and harm your little Doveling very badly.
I'd really urge you to please not let them interact and to get Mango to the vet as soon as possible for a full medical workup.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wouldn´t go back and buy the cage. 1. you said it´s rusty and knackered. and 2. it means more money to those folks. I´d just find another option for now.

Also you said about taking your bird to the shops with you? Be mindful that even a clipped bird can fly somewhat, so he would need to go in a carrier or a harness for those types of outings. (The former being the best option for a new bird).

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I wouldn´t go back and buy the cage. 1. you said it´s rusty and knackered. and 2. it means more money to those folks. I´d just find another option for now.

Also you said about taking your bird to the shops with you? Be mindful that even a clipped bird can fly somewhat, so he would need to go in a carrier or a harness for those types of outings. (The former being the best option for a new bird).
Thx for the cage advice. I won’t get the old one then. My neighbor is going to help me fix up the tmp cage w perches. Hopefully it will get us by until we pass probation and get the new one.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean

He needs a flight suit/harness thingy. I have one for the dove.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Watch Craig's List and Facebook for good used cages. I found a HUGE, clean flight cage for 50 dollars on Next Door.com right after I was given Pippen our yellow sided Green Cheek Conure. When I asked if it would fit any of our cars she offered to deliver it free because she was close and was making a dump run anyways. When she heard about Pippens story she dropped the price to 30 bucks because she wanted her to have a nice home, she loves it.

I had to deal with Lurch, a Maxi Pionus, for around 5 years getting him to trust me. He'd bite very quickly without warning and was just a very messed up used parrot. He slowly over that time got closer and closer to me and was following me happily all over the house at the end of his time here. He was happy but would still bite if he was in a mood but that was easy to see happening and I'd just leave him alone till his attitude got better.
He could be quite noisy at times too as well but that also got better as he became adjusted to his new life and knew we wouldn't hurt him. Hang in there and take the long term approach and with luck you'll work out a understanding with each other.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Good news…

I emailed my attached neighbor (HOA pres) last night to apologize about the noise. He responded this AM that they didn’t hear a thing! Maybe they took their hearings aids out (I live in a retirement com).

Mango ate breakfast and took a few sips of water.

My other neighbor that is helping me w the cage visited. He put his finger out to take Mango. Mango bit him hard enough to draw blood. Ugh…another mistake and lesson learned. I apologized profusely. Mango for some unknown reason has indeed given me a free pass. So strange.

When my neighbor and I were talking we wondered if the owner obtained Mango under nefarious circumstances…

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No response. Shady.
You could try calling some nearby vets and ask. If it´s not a popular bird you might get some answers, though likely the lack of response would indicate they never took the bird to the vet.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
You could try calling some nearby vets and ask. If it´s not a popular bird you might get some answers, though likely the lack of response would indicate they never took the bird to the vet.
Good suggestion.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Well, regardless, his life will be much improved from here on out! :pinksmile:
Yes but will mine? I cleaned house yesterday. Today it is completely trashed…and the day is only half over. Cleaned sheets full of dander cuz someone got in bed for cuddles at crack o dawn.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
:(

I test flew him. He totally face planted. Smacked his beak on the floor. :( He cant fly at all.