• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Need To Move A Budgie to a New Cage, WDID?

Elyse

Moving in
Real Name
Elyse
So I have 2 parakeets and am wanting to buy them a significantly larger cage. The only problem is that I have one that refuses to even be near me. If he’s like that, how am I going to get him to the new cage? He also flies, meaning I’m nervous for him to fly around my room when I’m trying to transfer him. Btw the other parakeet is totally fine with me handling him because I had got him before the other one. Thanks!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Set up the new cage next to their old one and see if the tamer one will go in after you have put all their toys and perchs in, they should follow each other.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Put the bird that is the most tame in the new cage and eventually the reluctant one will follow. Budgie see, budgie do.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The way I transferred mine to their new digs is by putting the small cage next to the larger one, and inserting a pencil with the eraser side in, and it 'motivated' him to move on in! Someone here suggested that, thankfully! Good luck, and patience will win in the end.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Set up the new cage next to their old one and see if the tamer one will go in after you have put all their toys and perchs in, they should follow each other.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. If they get along, they will follow each other :)