• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP!

BudgieLuv

Moving in
Real Name
Grace
I need some parrot experts, I'm having a bit of an issue with my bonded budgies.
I have 3 pairs and 2/3 won't mate, they'll preen, feed, sit together, scratch heads, sing, etc. They live in the regular breeding cage, 2 perches, breeding box and the other necessities they need. They've bred before though now they don't, the male in one of the pairs tries to but the hen really doesn't want anything to do with that, though she'll sing preen and do other stuff with him, same with the other pair. I did buy these pairs though, with proof that they have had babies and they did breed. What do I do to get them to mate again?? Yes, they're the right age and not too old yet and their breeding boxes are high of the ground. I also considered I may not see them mate, though they have plenty of cuttlefish (which they do eat and chew on) though they haven't been setting up a nest in the breeding box. What do I do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of diet are they on? Diet can play s huge role in their readiness!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There's a reason why the hen doesn't want to. Could be food issues, environment, or maybe she just doesn't want to. They can't just switch a problem off or ignore it, the chicks' lives depend on things being right - the right temperature, the right humidity, the right photoperiod etc etc
And throw out the cuttlefish bone if they're eating it, it does no good.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
when was the last clutch? she may be bored of the same male I would separeate the sexes for about a week then re-add the pairs and see if that lights a spark again

BudgieLuv

Moving in
Real Name
Grace
What kind of diet are they on? Diet can play s huge role in their readiness!
they get lots of fruits and veg, millet, egg every once and a while and ofc the seed mix. As well as cuttle fish for the eggs.

BudgieLuv

Moving in
Real Name
Grace
There's a reason why the hen doesn't want to. Could be food issues, environment, or maybe she just doesn't want to. They can't just switch a problem off or ignore it, the chicks' lives depend on things being right - the right temperature, the right humidity, the right photoperiod etc etc
And throw out the cuttlefish bone if they're eating it, it does no good.
Thanks for the info! Though is every hen different? Since one of my pairs happily breed but my other two don't really seem interested. They're happy with their mate, constantly cuddling, preening, feeding and all that but just no mating? Or maybe they don't really seem interested in the breeding box, this may sound dumb though do they attach to one breeding box and not want to lay their babies in any others? Because when I bought them I just bought the pair and put them in my own cage and breeding box.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
do they attach to one breeding box and not want to lay their babies in any others? Because when I bought them I just bought the pair and put them in my own cage and breeding box.
The box could definitely be a factor.
My lovebird hen is super picky about her box. It is not so much if it is new, old or she has used before, more so, material it is made from, size, and shape. The year before last, she was laying eggs on the cage floor so I presented a new box for her and put her eggs inside - she flat out rejected the box for it´s size and shape. When I presented a bigger and wider one the day after, she hopped right in.
Maybe this is something your budgie is experiencing?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
With breeding that often, cuttlefish won't cut it as the only calcium source. Try a supplement you can sprinkle on their food or one you can put in the water, and use it at least twice a week.