• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a new Rainbow lori!

lori_02

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Georgie
Hi everyone.

My name is Georgie and a week ago a 5 month old Rainbow Lorikeet became the new member of our family.

A wee bit about me...
I got engaged at the beginning of this year to my partner of 8 1/2 years. We bought our first home just over a year ago. We are currently renovating. I have a 3 1/2 year old White Swiss Shepherd called Cooper. I love him to bits. Thank goodness he gets along with our new lori, however, I still watch them both like a hawk.

As a kid I loved birds. I raised them, saved them and made special relationships with 3 in particular.
Archy was my cockatiel, Riki my Rainbow lorikeet and a wee gold finch which I save and had fallen from it's nest (it had no feathers).

All of which I could take outside without clipped wings and we had a bond that couldn't be broken. I later let my gold finch free as he began paying more attention to the wild birds outside the aviary that would come to visit him.

So on Wednesday, I went for a drive into town. Visited one of the pet shops and there was this rainbow... of course I stuck to the cage like glue as it followed me as I moved from one side of the cage to the other. I was able to put my hand inside the cage and it played with my hand and had an absolute ball of a time! As it jumped onto my hand and let me scratch it's neck the shop owner made a comment, which suggested I had to buy this bird... "We have tried getting it to jump onto our hands for the last 3 weeks and your the first one who has been able to do that".

I walked out a happy lori owner, for a second time! The last Rainbow lori I had as a kid was given to me by a family member. They decided they no longer wanted him. Boy was he a vicious thing at first... but I trained him up in a few days and he became a lovely boy with a potty mouth and a scorpio attitude hehe ;)

I'm looking forward to reading everyones threads and posting my own as well. I hope I can remember everything I used to know about birds. To be honest, I'm not really sure that I really knew much at all. I just loved them and gave them what I thought they wanted and needed. That seemed to work out ok.

I have posted a picture of my new lori... I'm finding it very difficult to name him/her as I am unaware of it's sex. I have posted a pic of both my dog and my bird. Hopefully I'll be able to get one of them both together some day soon...

Look forward to meeting you all and your feathered kids.

:)

p.s name suggestions welcome!

Attachments

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hi Georgie, and welcome to the forums. I have never seen a white swiss shepherd before. Cooper is stunning.
Your wee lori is totally cute :)
Hope to hear about how your lori is settling in in future posts.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:

Its great to find a bird that really connects with you. Hope you all have many happy years together.

Your bird is stunning. Glad you had one before as I know they have a special diet & I'm not sure
I could handle the poop.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
Welcome!!
Cooper is soo gorgeous, and so is your lori!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations & welcome to AA.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome, welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello: you have some beautiful babies

hamish05064

Moving in
Real Name
EW
welcome on the board have fun always here, and your Lori is just amazing

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Congrats. Rainbow Lories are so beautiful.