• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent i cant believe im making this thread

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
the cat got to kiwi. shes terrified of everyone and shes very lethargic right now. this is so soon after the dog attack. she is missing a large amoutn of feathers, but she isnt bleeding. we're taking her to the vet in an hour. shes in her cage with the cover on, and the cat is locked away. it was my sister agiain. she took her out and the cat got to her. is there anything else i can do for the bird? she is in her cage with the cover on and she seems okay. im very worried.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think doing anything else for the bird involves fixing your sister situation. :(

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
her eye is swollen shut and shes super limp. shes in shock, but youre not supposed to move a bird in shock. she has no punctured skin, but theres a chunk of feathers missing. my mother is refusing to take her to the vet, saying that 'shes fine'

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She needs to go to the vet - she's in shock and even the tiniest scratch from a cat can be lethal. Cats' mouths are full of bacteria that are very bad for birds!

You can't always tell if the skin has been punctured as the nick may be tiny.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You need to absolutely forbid your sister to take your bird out, ABSOLUTELY. Remember that the third time is a charm and it may be the death of your bird, if she survives this attack. If you have to, put a lock on the cage and keep the ONLY key with you.

Is Kiwi going to the vet or not? She may have puncture wounds that you can't see and if she does it is critical that Kiwi get antibiotics within a few hours of the bite. Pasteurella is carried by cats and several other animals and it is deadly for birds.

[Pasteurella multocida infections in birds following cat bites (author's transl)]. - PubMed - NCBI

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sadly if you don't take your bird to the vet immediately its probably going to die.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
you need to be with the bird 24x7 except when both you and your sister are in school. since you know very well what your sister is like, it is your responsibility to stay with the bird at all times or install a lock on your bedroom door. Do you two share a bedroom?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
the cat got to kiwi. shes terrified of everyone and shes very lethargic right now. this is so soon after the dog attack. she is missing a large amoutn of feathers, but she isnt bleeding. we're taking her to the vet in an hour. shes in her cage with the cover on, and the cat is locked away. it was my sister agiain. she took her out and the cat got to her. is there anything else i can do for the bird? she is in her cage with the cover on and she seems okay. im very worried.
If you aren't there already take her now and camp out at the registration desk - this is a MAJOR emergency and I'm not kidding. Any small scratch can and will kill her. If Kiwi survives this put miniature padlocks on your birds cage doors so your little sister can't open them. And as coldhearted as this sounds, tell your sister that whatever happens to Kiwi is partly her fault for not listening to what she was told. Sorry if it sounds mean but it is the truth.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
NB: Don't know where you live but if you have a Walgreens anywhere nearby they sell a set of 4 small padlocks that would fit on a bird's cage. Buy one, use the padlocks and keep both keys in different places (one at home, maybe with your mom) and one with you always.

I don't know how old your sister is but I will tell you that, in my house, my mother would have tanned the hide of the kid who did this a second time and cause the injury of a pet. There were only two kids in our house, so it was a 50/50 choice.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please let your mom know that there could be internal injuries or there could be an infection from the cat's saliva or from being scratched. Get Kiwi to the vet ASAP.
As for your sister you're going to need to have a talk with her again about not leaving Kiwi out. You may want to consider putting a padlock on Kiwi's cage and hiding the key so that she will no longer do that.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Try calling the vet and having your mom talk to them. Sometimes parents think their "kids" (I'm not sure of your age) overreact. If your vet tells your mother your bird may die, she'll likely be willing to take kiwi in.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
but the sister might set the cage on the floor.....

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
i couldnt have done anything, i was at a therapy appointment. there is now a lock on kiwi's cage. im sad to say that she still hasnt gone to the vet, my mother is still refusing to take her since its my birthday. i will keep trying to convince her

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
That would not be a good thing. Your suggestion of locking the bedroom door would be a good solution unless they share the room.
OR place the cage where it cannot be reached but without knowing the age of the younger sister there is no "safe" location. Even little ones can be smart enough to use a chair or stepstool. IF mom's bedroom is off limits then maybe that would be a "safe" location.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
i couldnt have done anything, i was at a therapy appointment. there is now a lock on kiwi's cage. im sad to say that she still hasnt gone to the vet, my mother is still refusing to take her since its my birthday. i will keep trying to convince her
Tell her that your most important birthday present is to make sure that Kiwi sees a vet - it will hopefully still save her life.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
my mom is calling the vet but is very angry about it. i just hope that kiwi is ok, i want to do whats best for her. is there ANYTHING that i can do currently? shes moving around more but her eye is still swollen shut and she is quite limp

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my mom is calling the vet but is very angry about it. i just hope that kiwi is ok, i want to do whats best for her. is there ANYTHING that i can do currently? shes moving around more but her eye is still swollen shut and she is quite limp
thank goodness.