• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am so glad to be here!!

jacqquie

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hello,
My name is Jacquie and I have two feathered friends-both rescues.
Xavier is my Red Lored Amazon, who was sadly kept in a dark room and given outdoor black sunflower seeds for food. The owner adored her 2 new Cockatoos and Xaxier was lost in the midst.
I contacted the woman who was selling Xavier, and after meeting her and talking to her, she gave me Xavier without charge. He is a beautiful bird as of last year. His avian vet annual checkup was positive though have questions -please look at emergency link I will write after this.
Any suggestions to move him toward pellet food would be appreciated. I think I've tried all the tricks I can think of, and it's hard to see nutriberries, Harrison's, and so many other brands thrown to the bottom of the cage when you are on a fixed income.
Xavier does not know how to use a cuttlebone- and frequently needs beak trims. I've had Xavier for 4 years and will be 20 years old on November 6th, 2018! He steps up though still nervous, loves to whistle, talks, and loves 80s hard rock- Metallica, ACDC, Guns and Rose's etc. as does Eddie. He knows the Andy Griffith song (alot) contact calls, and learning the Ed Edd and Eddie theme song now..lol! He has picked up alot of words, though still introverted from trauma earlier. He has come a long way but has a long way to go.

I did get the Chet Womak series and many books though guilty on my part as I was hospitalized for 19 days, and couldn't spend the time I wanted with the birds for awhile. I also lost 20 lbs which birds know who I am but still look different. It made an huge negative impact, sadly.
Xavier is still in his teenage years and working on everything- trying to teach him foraging, have educational toys and see him slowly learning new things. He watches and learns from his other feathered friend, Eddie (different cages by each other- they are friends from afar and think Xavier, while learning from Eddie, would attack him if they were out together.)
Eddie , is my rescued green cheek conure, which I was told did not talk. He loves to talk now- "What's up? What's up Baby , Sup, Babe, hey baby, baby.. beep beep-" so far and mimics outside bird calls and the tapping of my keyboarding my phone. Lol!
He's adorable, has some biting issues that are lessening greatly- mostly when getting out of his home- Eddie will try anything to eat- except pellets and expensive foods- thrown everywhere.
He has helped Xavier trying different fruits and veggies and some foods, which is awesome. He knows how to use the cuttlebone-Eddie for 3 years, although I dont know his age.
Both of their antics put a smile on my face all the time as they both talk, sing, whistle etc.
Thank you so much for reading my long introduction.

I would appreciate any ideas along with if you would read my emergency link I will write next.
I pray your feathered friends are giving you the love they so want to share with you!! Birds are so intelligent and a true blessing!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to you and your flock! I don't have much advice about converting a bird to pellets, but you'll find plenty of wonderful articles here from other members. :hiya:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Welcome! I wish I could help with switching to pellets, but mine were so easy to switch that I don't have any tricks for you! I just added Harrison's to their current food and in no time, they were switched. I've had them go from zupreme fruity, zupreem natural, and roudybush to harrisons with no issues. Hopefully more will chime in soon!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know Zupreem Fruity isn't popular, but in my experience it is the easiest pellet for birds to switch to. I have converted 3 seeds junkies now with it, and so far 2 of 3 I was able to switch to a different pellet later.

I have a 19 year year Jardines that I rescued in August that was only eating sunflower and safflower seeds for presumably the entire time. What I have been doing is using Harrison's High Potency Mash, wetted with baby food (veggies or fruit only, for the extra nutrients), then mix in the seeds he IS eating. When he digs the familiar food out, he eats a little of the pellet mash. You could also do the same thing with the pellets you have now and grind them up. Sometimes adding Cayenne pepper can encourage picky birds too!

You could also try a bird bread. Harrison's makes a bird bread that uses their pellets as a base so is a good addition.

I don't even bother with cuttlebones personally; there are lots of ways to get calcium (almonds, for example) and they don't do more for beaks than chewing on toys

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! And thanks for helping these birds. It sounds like you've given them a wonderful home. My cockatoo won't touch his cuddle bone either. I'm actually about to throw it away. I think his diet is good enough that he doesn't really need it. And it seems to me that it's more important for females laying eggs than males. Does you Amazon like to chew on wood toys? That can help with his beak too.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Welcome! I love amazons!

A pellet mine easily converted to was Caitec Oven Fresh Bites and of course the Zupreem Fruit Blend. I like Pellet Berries too by Laefbers

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
When I rescued my grey at 29 years old, he was also on a sunflower seed diet. Colored pellets are not the best, but in my experience they are the easiest to switch to. I added a small portion of pellets to his seed bowl and slowly upped it as time passed until his bowl was only pellets. My grey was switched in about 7-9 days. I recommend getting a gram scale and weighing your bird regularly if you're struggling to switch them. Sometimes they will crush pellets up but aren't actually eating them. This will help ensure they really are adjusting.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing your birds and welcome to AA. Post some photos of them when you get a chance.
You have to be patient regarding pellets. I wouldn't try for a 100% pellet diet, though. My Amazons get seed mix and pellets.
Have you ever tried Caitec Oven Fresh Bites medium size. All of my birds except 2 or 3 like them.
You can also give him parrot Avicakes. They contain both seeds and pellets.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator