• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am being hunted again :(

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No advice, just a lot of sympathy <3 <3 <3

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Also what about something like this for the feeder doors. Please forgive my bad drawing an artist I am for sure not!!

3769F516-3E26-4F52-B409-E79CCA251AB8.jpeg

Basically a piece of wood bolted to the cage above the feeder doors. A different piece of wood bolted to that piece that can swivel side to side. The swivel piece would be brought down when opening the feeder doors to prevent him from getting you. It would block off the door hole while you switch things out.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
So sorry you are going though this I hope your ok I have no suggestions to help how long did it take for him to go back to nice burt last time I really hope it wasn’t long

is there anyone else who could feed him etc that he won’t attack or is it everyone when he’s like this

you are super brave and going amazing indie was hormonal and I was terrified of her and she as a little beak
Totally feel you, I’m worried that Eva is becoming a constant nibbler and meanwhile @Shezbug has chunks missing out. Hope Burt gets out of this phase soon. I’m so impressed on how you are handling this.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Totally feel you, I’m worried that Eva is becoming a constant nibbler and meanwhile @Shezbug has chunks missing out. Hope Burt gets out of this phase soon. I’m so impressed on how you are handling this.
Mango nibbles checks everything out with beak but it’s bearable indie bites to hurt but weirdly she’s been super nice to me at min still don’t trust her near my ears

has burt really hurt you I hope not

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Take this for what it’s worth - desperate situation calls for desperate and ridiculous ideas…

he wants to go after YOU. Obviously we do not want someone else to try to feed him but what about you in a costume, ’ghost’ sheet over your head with eye cutouts. May s hock him enough to leave you alone long enough to change food and water. Then go around corner and change so he does not put two and two together, and now you are his big saviour and comforter. Yell at the scary monster while around the corner and then come back….and sweet talk, comfort Burt….

like I said desperate measures….

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Take this for what it’s worth - desperate situation calls for desperate and ridiculous ideas…

he wants to go after YOU. Obviously we do not want someone else to try to feed him but what about you in a costume, ’ghost’ sheet over your head with eye cutouts. May s hock him enough to leave you alone long enough to change food and water. Then go around corner and change so he does not put two and two together, and now you are his big saviour and comforter. Yell at the scary monster while around the corner and then come back….and sweet talk, comfort Burt….

I have actually heard of people doing that :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

I have a pair of leggings with a crazy pattern on them. The first time I wore them and walked over to Henry’s cage he freaked out. I wasn’t even thinking he would view them as a scary threat. After that I was more aware of pattern sensitivity on clothing I wore. He eventually got used to them so they’re no longer a scary threat. All of the smaller birds reacted in a fright and flight too. Worst case scenario anything you do that would cause an in cage freak-out could lead to a broken wing or other serious injury including mental trauma.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you change water and food at night in the dark??
It was not totally dark but I was able to slip in some fresh pellets and clean water early this morning. I crept in just before 5am and quietly added the fresh stuff. He was not impressed but he was too sleepy and I think maybe a bit confused, by the time he decided to make a move for me I was all ready to close the door and leave.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Lol I actually wondered this morning if me changing things up a bit with my appearance and routine might be enough of a change to halt him for a bit and make him think (or maybe trigger his anger to be worse lol) so I did my hair totally different to my usual go to style and I even put some eyeliner on. He gets upset at me for having wet hair then later on for having dry curly hair then an hour later he looks at me like I can't be trusted when I have straightened it lol and the few times I have bothered to put some make up on he has been wary of me so I figured no harm in giving a few small changes a go- I am getting horrible interactions from him anyway so a bit of experimenting can make things too much worse

I hope lol

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Burt must be very confused. I trust him he is strong enough to get through this difficult time.
I'm sending lots of love. :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope today will bring some improvements or new ideas that will help, Shezbug.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have a pair of leggings with a crazy pattern on them. The first time I wore them and walked over to Henry’s cage he freaked out. I wasn’t even thinking he would view them as a scary threat. After that I was more aware of pattern sensitivity on clothing I wore. He eventually got used to them so they’re no longer a scary threat. All of the smaller birds reacted in a fright and flight too. Worst case scenario anything you do that would cause an in cage freak-out could lead to a broken wing or other serious injury including mental trauma.
I would never try to frighten him or have him think a stranger was entering his area or cage - that would break my heart to see him scared of me or freaking out in fear.

He does not like or trust the smallest of changes with me though, possibly because I am a creature of habit and never change anything unless I absolutely have to so I figured a few changes might slow his behaviour and pique his curiosity or at least make him think before approaching me.
I would not ever consider altering myself to the degree that he does not know it is me, but I have today altered my usual hairstyle, earrings and used a tiny smudge of eyeliner and I also chose to wear the glasses I do not usually wear at home- I notice him being wary of my teeny changes when they do have to happen because I literally have numerous exact same sets of the clothes that I like to wear (I must look like I never wash my clothes as I wear the same outfit nearly everyday lol), always use a black hair tie, never change my earrings unless I have a funeral (so not often thankfully) etc. I really am a creature of habit and so is he so maybe a break in the expected will buy me some safe time- I will soon find out :fingerscrossed:

Lol You know I just discovered the emoji that I always thought was a roast chook is in fact crossed fingers :rofl:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I like the stranger idea. Are there any other large parrot people in town? You could swap chores.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I would never try to frighten him or have him think a stranger was entering his area or cage - that would break my heart to see him scared of me or freaking out in fear.

He does not like or trust the smallest of changes with me though, possibly because I am a creature of habit and never change anything unless I absolutely have to so I figured a few changes might slow his behaviour and pique his curiosity or at least make him think before approaching me.
I would not ever consider altering myself to the degree that he does not know it is me, but I have today altered my usual hairstyle, earrings and used a tiny smudge of eyeliner and I also chose to wear the glasses I do not usually wear at home- I notice him being wary of my teeny changes when they do have to happen because I literally have numerous exact same sets of the clothes that I like to wear (I must look like I never wash my clothes as I wear the same outfit nearly everyday lol), always use a black hair tie, never change my earrings unless I have a funeral (so not often thankfully) etc. I really am a creature of habit and so is he so maybe a break in the expected will buy me some safe time- I will soon find out :fingerscrossed:

Lol You know I just discovered the emoji that I always thought was a roast chook is in fact crossed fingers :rofl:
Oh dear God….. I think we are cut from the same cloth!!! I used to wear earrings but because I have smaller birds ( especially Ruby AKA pesky girl.. I no longer wear them anymore because she would rip them out. My neighbors ( I hate) probably have bets going on to see how many days in a row I will wear the same clothes … I say” take your stupid camera and shove it):D
It did take a bit of time for them to adjust to my glasses… Lola could’ve cared less … Henry was on the fence about being ugly. The littles just want to pull them off my face… makes my eyeballs crazy to have them jiggled. Astro just wants to see her reflection in the glasses and bang my nose with her beak.
I am one hundred with you on not doing anything to cause fear or distrust. I always thought Zons were the most distrusting or suspicious. I never make a move they can’t see or hopefully understand. The littles are so fearful of a phone and the camera I just avoid it so they don’t get spooked. I opened the door to the crimson clan one day with my phone directed towards the birds so my sister could hear the raucous greeting and Ruby(closest to the door) freaked causing them to all freak. If I want to talk to my sis when I’m in the room I have to wrap it in a paper towel.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Face it. We're bird people.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I like the stranger idea. Are there any other large parrot people in town? You could swap chores.
I would not ever consider doing that to him.
I know how freaked out he gets when strangers have had to enter his room or have come in to meet him so I would not allow any stranger to approach him alone and certainly not allow them to open his cage- he does not understand what he is doing or why he is doing it so to terrify him in the middle of all that with a total stranger entering his safe area I feel would be a betrayal on my part or like an attempt to punish him for doing what is natural to him.

I will battle through and just try to keep the mood calm and very very boring so he has less fun feedback from me.

Lol he is trying to break the door to his cage right now.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh, I didn't realize he was so scared of people. My budgies like strangers, but are less demonstrative with them.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Shez, are you always in the same room as him?
If so, how does he act when you leave?
He's sounding really agitated. :(

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry your going through this ..a large bird like him can sure cause some bad wounds ..best of luck going through this :hug8: