• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am being hunted again :(

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm so sorry for the bird injuries but I understand not telling family.

Mine was within days of their arrival. Secret (I was told was a good bird and friendly) clamped on both hands, one foot on each, and started tearing hunks of flesh off. I fell to the ground with her to get her off. I never told hubby what happened. I knew he'd make me get rid of them.

I'm so blessed it wasn't much worse. I was shocked and instantly dropped. That's what saved us both.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I had to do the same with Pippen of all the birds here. The first few days she was so happy to be rescued, warm, and safe she was a cuddle bug, then she started feeling better and she wanted to take it out on me I guess. The little bugger started biting my fingers, then my hand, and running down my arm while she took little bites. I plopped to the floor on my back and kinda scooped her away and back up to the cage while she tried to bite whatever she could reach. For such a tiny little thing she was very serious and took a few chunks out of my finger and I was bleeding. I was trying not to squish her and get her off me before I got more tiny holes anywhere and we both lived.
Now we approach her a bit more carefully and she doesn't get much out time because hard to say what she'll do. She does love scritches through the bars and eventually tries to nibble and bite my fingers. Usually if I say gentle she'll back off and not clamp down now and I tell her she's a good bird and continue for a bit.
Lurch was always out for blood at first but he was much bigger and started out pissy so we worked through it and I was always watching for da bites, I wasn't expecting it from Pippen. Birds are birds no matter the size...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug I'm so sorry you're going through this. In my early days with Echo he was pretty aggressive at times thankfully not 100% of the time. I got him roughly around age 7 which depending on what source you use is, is the tail end of U2 reaching sexual maturity. I know our situations are different but I'll tell you something that helped me that might help you.

From what you have described in this thread it does sound like Burt has this all of pent-up energy he needs some kind of release from. Because he'll attack if he's outside of his cage is there any way you help release that energy when he's in his cage? Echo attacks empty paper towel and other various things. Is there anything like a toy, old phone book, or paper towel roll that you can safely place half inside and outside that would distract Burt long enough to let you change his water and food in peace?

If not, could you put it something he can attack half-hour or so before you feed him so at least he's somewhat tired and then not going after you full force? I find when Echo super hyper finding way help release that energy goes along way in helping ease the tensions between us. Plus once he's worn out some he's way easier to deal with. Then I praise him like crazy when he's being his normal calm self again.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. And I wish you all the best with it. I know its not easy
I am not sure if you have seen on Instagram how Burt plays with his bells but he plays with everything in the same manner- he is shoving them about, hanging, swinging, climbing from them etc for a lot of the day inside and outside of his cage, he has never been the sort of bird to sit still chilling like a bump on a log.
I am not sure I can encourage any more physical activity inside the cage than he already has, I throw many items on top of his cage everyday for him to work on as well as it means he has to hang and climb to get to them- he spends time in his cage upside down lifting perch swings up to the top of the cage to let them drop back down, trying to break the skirt on the cage by lifting it, throwing large blocks then picking them up from the floor and taking them to a top perch to drop again, he does not sit still much. He is a very active fluffer and I rarely make anything easy for him to get into or get at- he has to work for most things.

I wish he had a flight aviary to fly in, I think that would be an awesome help.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Summer might no longer be a time I look forward to lol, Burt is being so terribly mean and angry again- this is the third day of seeing him be a totally different bird who is intent on getting at me to bite me, he is being that same nasty frustrated and angry bird I saw last year for the first time.
I am being hunted full on again from one side of the room to the other, he is focussed on landing on me and his intent is to bite hard wherever he can get his beak on me. I got a few bites to my back and side yesterday while cage cleaning, I have never seen him move so fast but he basically dropped from on top of the cage to the bottom door area where I was collecting rubbish, he jumped on me and bit and bit at my back till I managed to shake him off and run for cover. I am being lunged at constantly and if he can reach and touch me then I get bit.
Absolutely everything I touch is setting him off, I lift the food jar (which now has holes all over it and needs replacing) and he's triggered and attacking, I move and he is angry and attacking, I try to remove and replace paper and I am attacked, so, all I managed to do regarding cage cleaning today is replace the paper which was terrifying and difficult lol but I was not able to replace food and water as he was guarding his cage and dishes by the time I tried to remove and replace them.
I am not sure how I will manage to get his old food and water out and refresh it, I am not sure how I will manage to let him out for exercise- this is horrible to deal with!!
Sounds so frustrating and scary! Hope things ease up for both of you guys

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you change water and food at night in the dark??
Might give this a go- and hope to the high heavens he chooses to stay on his perch. I am shocked at just how fast he can move when he is like this, so calculated and never missing his footing- it is crazy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sounds so frustrating and scary! Hope things ease up for both of you guys
Boy Howdy…. You have no idea. The only other thing that gives me sweaty pits is a hot summer day. An angry big bird gives me sweaty pits that smell like a billy goat!:D

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
We kept it pretty simple. Plywood to block excess space in a door and just a smaller hang out here cage , while we service them.

Ideas don't work they don't work.

Its too bad cages lack these sort of features for larger species.

Plenty of folks brain storming for you and showing they care.

I read a fascinating paper on male parrot hormones aggression and the drive to protect territory. Displacement, mate aggression the use of rivals. Its lost to time now

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t know if someone mentioned this…or if it would even work but restaurant use mesh metal gloves that are cut resistant. Maybe that along with some of the other tips that the members said might help?
Thanks for the thought, I appreciate it.

Those gloves would only protect my hands and they would only maybe be helpful if cutting was the only issue, I would not like to know how bad they would hurt or damage with a crush like bite. I am not sure if everyone knows or just those with multiple birds but some birds are able to crush without cutting when they bite, I got a few of those crushing bites to a few knuckles and my wrist yesterday, no broken skin at all but swelling and bruising. They can pierce beautifully with the tip of the top beak, cut with the lower mandible and crush without breaking skin.

He is after all of me- my face, back, arms and he even bit me on the knee yesterday lol.

Dealing with angry large birds (in my opinion and experience) presents a few more issues than dealing with the smaller birds when they are angry. It is not fun regardless of the size to have them angry and biting but there really is a difference staying safe when they are large and angry.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
JaJaBinks (female, past B&G Macaw) would get aggressive during breeding season, but nothing like your Burt is. JaKhu will be 3 in April & has always been nippy. I just hope she never becomes aggressive. She is also very destructive. She recently tore the tumbler lock apart on her cage. No idea how she managed that, but she did. I found it laying in pieces in the bottom tray.

I bird sat an Amazon once for a lady while she & her family were on vacation. She handed me these 2 large sticks. I asked what they were for. She held them in a T shape & said they were to ward him off when he gets aggressive. That bird launched off his cage onto my back & bit me several times. The way she had the cage set up the only way to feed & water was from inside the cage. No way was I going to reach inside to change food & water. So we changed it around to feed & water from the outside. JaKhu, like Burt, reaches thru the bars & grabs my fingers when I feed. She also sticks her head out the feeder doors when I remove the crocks. Once she managed to reach thru, lift the door latch up, slide it over & pushed the crock out onto the floor. UGHHH these birds!

Perhaps limiting high fat, high protein foods & wet foods, as they stimulate abundance feeding. Also more darkness, during breeding season, as more light triggers breeding. Maybe some of these changes will lessen his aggressiveness.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We kept it pretty simple. Plywood to block excess space in a door and just a smaller hang out here cage , while we service them.

Ideas don't work they don't work.

Its too bad cages lack these sort of features for larger species.

Plenty of folks brain storming for you and showing they care.

I read a fascinating paper on male parrot hormones aggression and the drive to protect territory. Displacement, mate aggression the use of rivals. Its lost to time now
I whole heartedly appreciate all the care shown with the brainstorming, same last year when it happened. I have thought each suggestion through to see how I could apply it and if it would work for us in this situation- I do not mean to come across as ungrateful for everyone's input, please forgive me if that is how I am coming across.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
JaJaBinks (female, past B&G Macaw) would get aggressive during breeding season, but nothing like your Burt is. JaKhu will be 3 in April & has always been nippy. I just hope she never becomes aggressive. She is also very destructive. She recently tore the tumbler lock apart on her cage. No idea how she managed that, but she did. I found it laying in pieces in the bottom tray.

I bird sat an Amazon once for a lady while she & her family were on vacation. She handed me these 2 large sticks. I asked what they were for. She held them in a T shape & said they were to ward him off when he gets aggressive. That bird launched off his cage onto my back & bit me several times. The way she had the cage set up the only way to feed & water was from inside the cage. No way was I going to reach inside to change food & water. So we changed it around to feed & water from the outside. JaKhu, like Burt, reaches thru the bars & grabs my fingers when I feed. She also sticks her head out the feeder doors when I remove the crocks. Once she managed to reach thru, lift the door latch up, slide it over & pushed the crock out onto the floor. UGHHH these birds!

Perhaps limiting high fat, high protein foods & wet foods, as they stimulate abundance feeding. Also more darkness, during breeding season, as more light triggers breeding. Maybe some of these changes will lessen his aggressiveness.
Already on it! He is sooky just now and asking for his regular afternoon mush (it is killing me not letting him have it but I know it can add to issues)- I gave him some fresh pellets though a paper funnel and fresh veg on top of the cage. Limited carbs, fats and proteins, NO wet foods.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I whole heartedly appreciate all the care shown with the brainstorming, same last year when it happened. I have thought each suggestion through to see how I could apply it and if it would work for us in this situation- I do not mean to come across as ungrateful for everyone's input, please forgive me if that is how I am coming across.
No worries from me.

I had a string of drunk texts from a guy that's been out if my life for years ..so unfortunately I'm awake now

Yeah the crush force isn't fun .

You got an angry dragon on your hands!

An aviary would be a dream ! Especially with your needs built in . Hope you get that one day!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Pionus like to hang on and start grinding when they are really mad and seriously biting. Lurch tore the outer skin off the back of my scritching finger the first night he was home with me. No warning, just whipped around and POW!. I realized we weren't going to be best friends immediately and decided strangling him would be a bad idea as I ran off to fix my finger. They make up for bite force by hanging on like a Pitt bull and chewing.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pionus like to hang on and start grinding when they are really mad and seriously biting. Lurch tore the outer skin off the back of my scritching finger the first night he was home with me. No warning, just whipped around and POW!. I realized we weren't going to be best friends immediately and decided strangling him would be a bad idea as I ran off to fix my finger. They make up for bite force by hanging on like a Pitt bull and chewing.
Definitely can’t say one type of bite is better than another that’s for sure, they all suck when the happen.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there something in your house that Burt won’t approach or play with because it scares him? Like a vacuum cleaner or something else that makes noise? When I brought Opie home, having the vacuum running in the room allowed me to reposition toys in his cage without him attacking me. I wouldn’t threaten him with it, just bring it into the room and turn it on—he would back away.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I use small critter water bottles for all of the flock and they all know how to use them. Biggest problem I had was some of them beating on them till they fell down and the tube got bent enough they no longer worked.
I don't have big enough birds to physically destroy them on their own but it's nice to know they always have a clean source of water available. Some we still provide a bowl for dunking food and baths. I bet as long as you can secure the bottle some way it would work well for burt and one less way for him to get at you changing his water.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I am not sure if everyone knows or just those with multiple birds but some birds are able to crush without cutting when they bite, I got a few of those crushing bites to a few knuckles and my wrist yesterday, no broken skin at all but swelling and bruising. They can pierce beautifully with the tip of the top beak, cut with the lower mandible and crush without breaking skin.
I have tiny birds so I’m very lucky that even the worst bites are a more of a nuisance than a real issue. But even with tiny beaks, when Wally means it, when he bites, the pressure of it hurts more than the actually bite itself so I can only imagine the sheer pressure of that bite on skin and bones. I love big birds but I am genuinely afraid of their beaks. Good luck!!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So sorry you are going though this I hope your ok I have no suggestions to help how long did it take for him to go back to nice burt last time I really hope it wasn’t long

is there anyone else who could feed him etc that he won’t attack or is it everyone when he’s like this

you are super brave and going amazing indie was hormonal and I was terrified of her and she as a little beak