• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am being hunted again :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Summer might no longer be a time I look forward to lol, Burt is being so terribly mean and angry again- this is the third day of seeing him be a totally different bird who is intent on getting at me to bite me, he is being that same nasty frustrated and angry bird I saw last year for the first time.
I am being hunted full on again from one side of the room to the other, he is focussed on landing on me and his intent is to bite hard wherever he can get his beak on me. I got a few bites to my back and side yesterday while cage cleaning, I have never seen him move so fast but he basically dropped from on top of the cage to the bottom door area where I was collecting rubbish, he jumped on me and bit and bit at my back till I managed to shake him off and run for cover. I am being lunged at constantly and if he can reach and touch me then I get bit.
Absolutely everything I touch is setting him off, I lift the food jar (which now has holes all over it and needs replacing) and he's triggered and attacking, I move and he is angry and attacking, I try to remove and replace paper and I am attacked, so, all I managed to do regarding cage cleaning today is replace the paper which was terrifying and difficult lol but I was not able to replace food and water as he was guarding his cage and dishes by the time I tried to remove and replace them.
I am not sure how I will manage to get his old food and water out and refresh it, I am not sure how I will manage to let him out for exercise- this is horrible to deal with!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this. I had enough trouble dealing with a Sennie who was out for my blood so bad that he was legit trying to gnaw through the cage bars to get me. I can't even fathom that happening with a bird as big and strong as a B& G. I really hope that he'll calm down soon and go back to being a sweet boy. If worse comes to worse can you try to pour water/food through the bars into the bowls? I know it's not the best option putting new on top of old but it's better than him ripping chunks out of you.
Or can someone try to distract him from the opposite side of the cage to at least give you a chance to attempt to change them?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I’m so sorry Shez I know it was difficult last year! :sadhug2:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Sorry Shez, I don't have anything to offer that you don't already know, other than sharing empathy and the hope that, "this too shall pass".

Perhaps changing the bowls at night when (if) he's low energy at that time of day?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you can't remove the food and water bowls from outside the cage I'd figure out a way to do it or get a cage that allows it. Once I upgraded Lurches cage to a bigger one with swing out food doors life was much less bitey for me. He also was much less protective when he had room to stay away from me and learned that attacking led to no fresh food or water. Sounds like Burt is big time hormonal right now so he probably can't really control his emotions right now and your the target of his frustration :(

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh my goodness, how stressful! I’m so sorry your having to deal with this and I hope you can find a way to distract him.
:sadhug2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you're ok, Shezbug! I wish there were something I could offer that would help...but I've got middle-aged men, not hormonal teenagers. I did have the same question as Dartman wondering if you can do everything necessary from outside the cage, but it seems Burt's cage isn't set up that way?

Poor Burt! Poor you!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You are going to get through this Shez. Your going to get to the other side like last year so just don't take it personally. Don't burn any forever bridges and don't let him see it bother you.

Korbel is 11 this year.... he has not been wild bum in over two years. I have the three 11 year old boys and it does get better again, I promise.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Awww Shez I feel for you. I know you went through this last year and it's upsetting it's happening again.
Sending big hugs to you and hoping he calms down some.
Burt, stop being naughty and be a good boy. :hug8:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you can't remove the food and water bowls from outside the cage I'd figure out a way to do it or get a cage that allows it. Once I upgraded Lurches cage to a bigger one with swing out food doors life was much less bitey for me. He also was much less protective when he had room to stay away from me and learned that attacking led to no fresh food or water. Sounds like Burt is big time hormonal right now so he probably can't really control his emotions right now and your the target of his frustration :(
I have actually had to stop using the feeder doors and use multiple washers and a a screw driver to do up the feeder doors or he just undoes them and lets himself out which would honestly be terrifying right now lol- when he is like this even using the feeder doors is not safe as he forces his way out and I would have to literally hurt him to keep him from getting at my hands and to close the feeder doors back up, he jams his beak between the feeder door and the bars so I cant close it again- he is also faster than me and a much better aim- we also do not use them bowls for food or water anymore as he throws them the second they are replaced so I have had to attach other bowls and just use feeder door bowls for toys.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You are going to get through this Shez. Your going to get to the other side like last year so just don't take it personally. Don't burn any forever bridges and don't let him see it bother you.

Korbel is 11 this year.... he has not been wild bum in over two years. I have the three 11 year old boys and it does get better again, I promise.
I do not and will not take it personally (I get it and can let it slide no worries- I know he can't help it and is not meaning to hurt me) but it really makes me feel so awful for him. I can see he is confused and frustrated by his own impulsive behaviour and I feel horrible and neglectful for having him locked up for most of the day (except for a short out time in the morning where he gets exercise and helps me get exercise by chasing me lol and I feel bad for avoiding letting him see me so I do not increase his anger and frustrations- it means he is spending a long time alone and that cant be nice for him.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Maybe you can put some kind of carabiner latch that he can't figure out. The foster birds the owner put dog collar style latches on the cage doors but the Conures never seem to try to pry them open. Dobby and Pippen never try so as long as the door is closed and the factory latch they are good. It sucks when they are so big and smart they defeat any normally safe way to lock their doors. I went through that with food and water dishes for a while but just not the same. They never threw the bowl at me or actively tried to scoot out and attack me, except Lurch, and at least they are small enough you can catch them or easily duck

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry to hear this. I read the post title & thought you'd need the police! Then I noticed it was in Behaviour Byway & calmed down. Take care of yourself. It sounds awful.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Lol, I might need help... I am pretty sure I just heard a few more bar welds popping :scared5: He snapped one this morning after I was shifty and tricked him back into the cage

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol, I might need help... I am pretty sure I just heard a few more bar welds popping :scared5: He snapped one this morning after I was shifty and tricked him back into the cage
Oh my gosh! That's absolutely wild and terrifying. I really hope that he doesn't bust of out there.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it possible to get Stainless Steel cages over there? I'm certain they are crazy expensive but surely if you did manage to get one he couldn't bust his way out of that?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh boy, lol what fun!
Just heard metal twanging noises then something drop and land on the floor, he has worked out how to get the latest pile of washers on the feed door undone, I made it in there just in time to stop him exiting the cage but it was a good struggle to keep my fingers safe lol.

Gotta love that he makes me think, problem solve and keeps me on my toes :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Maybe you can put some kind of carabiner latch that he can't figure out. The foster birds the owner put dog collar style latches on the cage doors but the Conures never seem to try to pry them open. Dobby and Pippen never try so as long as the door is closed and the factory latch they are good. It sucks when they are so big and smart they defeat any normally safe way to lock their doors. I went through that with food and water dishes for a while but just not the same. They never threw the bowl at me or actively tried to scoot out and attack me, except Lurch, and at least they are small enough you can catch them or easily duck
At this stage I would be up for a very strong SS padlock and SS chain if I could work out a way to attach them. He would bust or simply open any carabiner.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is it possible to get Stainless Steel cages over there? I'm certain they are crazy expensive but surely if you did manage to get one he couldn't bust his way out of that?
I have two powder coated double macaw cages and I need to move him into one of them but it is a tad complicated just now lol, I am considering contacting the makers of this cage to ask if they can do a flat top- I dislike dome tops and the other fancy top cages so I would only want this if it had a flat top.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh good that's helpful that you have other cages to move him into assuming that can be managed. But goodness gracious the fact he can pop welds like there nothing is so hard to believe. I've seen vids of Hyacinths doing it but never a smaller Macaw.
Oh that would be lovely if they could I absolutely agree that I'm not a fan of dometops or the weird fancy ones give me a good old flat top any day when I can make my own playarea and attach toys and perches easier.