• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How worried should I be able PBFD?

callmebird

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello first post here but hoping I can get some help. Recently we had a baby rainbow lorikeet at our front lawn who couldn't fly and showed signs of having beak and feather disease (short tail and short wings) although at the time I didn't know how contagious it was. I scooped the baby up and took it inside to be put straight into one of our spare bird cages to take to the vet. The vet told me to make sure to wash my shirt and hands which I did and I made sure to shower as well. The floor the cage was on was sprayed with Glen 20 and any surface I touched was wiped down with a disinfectant wipe.

Our birds were also no where close to the sick baby in the cage but i still worry about air contamination. The fact that the disease can stay on surfaces for so many months is just really scary. Is there any other steps I can take to make sure there's no way for my birds to catch the disease?

flocknroll

Meeting neighbors
I think if you've taken the precautions of changing clothes and removing anything you came into contact with from the vicinity of your birds you'll probably be okay, however yes it is a very real concern.

Glen 20 will not be sufficient, I would be soaking everything in F10 or Virkon, however there is no disinfectant that's been proven to eliminate the virus. I wouldn't use the carrier again for birds at all. F10 have a case study published about a person who housed a PBFD bird and it took 4 months of twice daily cleaning with F10 of the whole aviary before they got a PBFD negative swab back of the enclosure.

Are you certain the Lorikeet had PBFD? Do you have a picture of it by any chance? Was it's beak dark or red/orange? I'm a wildlife rescuer/rehabber so I have to be extremely careful and because I have domestic parrots I usually won't care for wild parrots and I never go to a rescue that's reported with PBFD symptoms. It's challenging and it's very scary! I completely understand x