• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to sleep with birds?

PtsOliver

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
So I have 5 birds ( 2 parakeets and 3 cockatiels) and a service dog.
I want to sleep in my room with all 6 of them, but have encountered a few problems.

First is my dog. He's got a very low prey drive and in theory should be fine with them, but I'm very anxious about falling asleep with them together.

Second is the me. I can't fall asleep without background videos and I go to bed later than my birds. They do not like me crocheting with light or me listening to things. I can't really use earbuds because of sensory problems.

I've tried covering cages and they get very upset with me. I don't know where to go from here to be honest.
I've been sleeping in the basement for years on and off and every few months I try and go back to doing sleep in my room.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is there another solution, like can the birds be in a different room?

I would find it very hard to sleep in the same room as my birds, too! An air purifier or white noise machine could perhaps help diminish some of the noise you are making though.

PtsOliver

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
Is there another solution, like can the birds be in a different room?

I would find it very hard to sleep in the same room as my birds, too! An air purifier or white noise machine could perhaps help diminish some of the noise you are making though.
I wish there was another room for them.. I live with cats who can go in all the rooms except mine because you know, birds.

There is an air purifier, but it doesn't help that my hearings bad so the stuff needs to be kinda loud

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Would it be possible for you to move the cages and section it off from the cats? Just by closing a door or something.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What about smaller sleep cages and putting them in the bathroom or a closet?

Or maybe hanging up a curtain in your room to block light vs covering them.

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
I have Na'ringa in my room where I sleep with my service dog as well! I use a cage cover, which helps my girl fall asleep and not peep throughout the night. I've been slowly getting Leia, my service dog, accustomed to Na'ringa by having her kennel in the living room where I'm with the baby during the day, I will never have them interact directly.

(Other than Leia briefly sniffing her cage, where Na'ringa sits high where Leia couldnt reach, they've both gotten used to eachothers presence and are alright with brief sniffles) but with the visual exposure throughout the day, Leia has grown comfortable and doesnt show any anxiety or drive.

I feel you could try a similar approach, having their cages visible in the room while relaxing with your pup out so he can see them and become less interested. Again, I'm a new bird owner and dont have the most experience, but this has worked best for my household and figured I'd share my experience!

This is Leia and Na'ringa, it's so nice to hear of other service dog handlers with birdies!!
20231122_160336(0).jpg 20231120_170635(0).jpg