• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to build trust/help stop hissing

kkeiiith

Checking out the neighborhood
i recently got a cockatiel about a week ago. i want to say he's 9 or so months old, i've named him atlas. i wanted to wait for him to adjust before i let him out of his cage for the first time, but no matter what i do he hisses if i get too close, and i'm worried that he won't get back in the cage if i let him out, so i haven't done that yet. recently, he started showing signs of wanting to leave the cage like pecking at the door. i'm not sure what to do in this situation, ideally i'd like to build some more trust between us before i let him out, but i don't want him to get depressed because i won't let him out. any advice?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Keith,

I think this will be helpful for you;

If you feel you will struggle getting him back in the cage after some flight, then try some of the things in the link above and wait a little while more. The last thing you want to do is let hm out and then struggle to cage him and break any trust you may have made.
Also, when you let him out for the first time, be sure you have plenty of time to dedicate should he not want to go back in, you can wait him out and let him go back in on his own instead of rushing him or having to towel him.