• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many grams of food daily should a cockatiel eat

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
How many grams of food should an average cockatiel typically consume in a day? I've read anywhere between 6 grams, 15 grams, and 30-40 grams, so now I'm really confused. Those are huge differences.
I'm also wondering how many grams of food a parakeet should consume daily.
Thanks so much for your help.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
The huge differences are due to the fact that some birds are allowed to fly about the place and be highly active, while others are trapped in tiny cages most of the day

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I leave food out constantly for my two, because they're both very active - one is fully flighted, and the other is growing her flight feathers back and is always trying to fly.

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
I let mine free feed all day as well. I was just wondering approximately how many grams of food should they be consuming daily.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Birds have a fast metabolism and a relatively simple gastric system which food moves quickly through.

If you have ever feed them purple or deep red fruits you see just how fast that comes out the other end.

Because most species evolved in abundant food availability. They are browsers/foragers eating all day. Not gut loading, like predators do. These small meals all day keep them flight ready , so can flee predators .

This is so different from us and our typical pets , that it's good to take a minute to think about and understand.

Most species also don't store fat very well. Exceptions some Australia species, budgie, tiel, some of the cockatoo. Amazon parrots can also be more prone to obesity. I've seen fat African greys as well.

Green cheek conure seem prone to being under weight for some reason.
I know my green cheeks eat a higher volume of food for body size than my quakers. Here at least my green cheek eats double the amount of food my quakers do!

Also metabolic needs change. When molting they can require double the base calories, at minimum 25% more their base calories.

Temperature drops of 5 degree fahrenheit can increase metabolic demand around 15-25%

So I always recommend having their pellets available

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Generally, they will eat 10-15% of their body weight daily. But at mentioned, that can change based on a lot of factors.

Some foods are more calorie dense, too, so would have a different feeding recommendation than a food that is less dense. Pellets, for example, usually have a lower feeding amount than seeds because seeds would include the hulls, which they of course won't eat.

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Birds have a fast metabolism and a relatively simple gastric system which food moves quickly through.

If you have ever feed them purple or deep red fruits you see just how fast that comes out the other end.

Because most species evolved in abundant food availability. They are browsers/foragers eating all day. Not gut loading, like predators do. These small meals all day keep them flight ready , so can flee predators .

This is so different from us and our typical pets , that it's good to take a minute to think about and understand.

Most species also don't store fat very well. Exceptions some Australia species, budgie, tiel, some of the cockatoo. Amazon parrots can also be more prone to obesity. I've seen fat African greys as well.

Green cheek conure seem prone to being under weight for some reason.
I know my green cheeks eat a higher volume of food for body size than my quakers. Here at least my green cheek eats double the amount of food my quakers do!

Also metabolic needs change. When molting they can require double the base calories, at minimum 25% more their base calories.

Temperature drops of 5 degree fahrenheit can increase metabolic demand around 15-25%

So I always recommend having their pellets available
Thanks. I always free feed anyway. They eat however much they want.