• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you get your tiels to eat their greens?

Cockatango

Meeting neighbors
Tango is a bit of a picky eater, and becoming a bit of a seed junkie. She used to take broccoli and lettuce, but now she doesn't really take any wet food. I've tried her with grape, apples, carrots, corn, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries - she'll shake her head like it's wet and back away. I tried to give her a dried veggie feed but she wouldn't take that either!
How can I get her to eat a more varied diet?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels generally don't eat fruit. So I would concentrate on vegetables. Try them in different sizes or put them on a skewer. My tiel liked all of his vegetables chopped in tiny pieces except for lettuce. He liked big leafs of lettuce but only if I held them for him. (Yes, he was spoiled. :) ). Also, you can let her watch you eat the vegetables. That sometimes gets them interested too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, as @sunnysmom said, tiels tend to not really like fruit that much. Broccoli, snow peas, and leafy greens are favorites for my birds. In addition to trying to present the veggies in different ways, try chopping the veggies very fine and sprinkling them on slightly damp pellets or seeds. They might have to eat some in order to get to their seeds/pellets.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Parsley is a favorite here, food and fun at the same time!