• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I make my house smell nice? (Bird friendly)

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
So ya, my title says it all lol. Am I forgetting something? No essential oils, air fresheners, or candles. Also feel free to share chop recipes! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can simmer orange peels and cinnamon, etc on the stove. Or use one of those little chip dip warmer crockpots if you need the scent away from the kitchen. I usually just spray the curtains down with 50/50 white vinegar and water and then open the windows to help freshen up the room.

Bring in some fresh flowers :)

Here's my chop Recipe :) My Chop "Recipe"

However I actually do "not chop" these days ;) Journal - Should zoo foods be chopped (macaws)

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
You can simmer orange peels and cinnamon, etc on the stove. Or use one of those little chip dip warmer crockpots if you need the scent away from the kitchen. I usually just spray the curtains down with 50/50 white vinegar and water and then open the windows to help freshen up the room.

Bring in some fresh flowers :)

Here's my chop Recipe :) My Chop "Recipe"

However I actually do "not chop" these days ;) Journal - Should zoo foods be chopped (macaws)
Thanks! Haha, I think Pippy eats more of it if he has to chop it himself lol :)
Whats Ripley’s favorite veggie?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow! Really? How do you prepare/serve them?
I just give him whole pieces of raw veggies (I do cook sweet potato lightly). For radishes I just give him half or a whole one. Example bowls:
PXL_20220425_141459909.jpg PXL_20220504_125143398.jpg PXL_20220406_125557048.jpg
PXL_20220506_125903284.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I find that opening all the doors/windows and letting fresh air in is one of the best ways to keep the home smelling nice. Also by mopping the floor, and washing texiles regularly (pillow cases on the sofa, throws, rugs, curtains etc).

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I have been having the same question.

Are fragrant plants (ex: lavender or mint) safe? Can I boil orange peels or cinnamon or lemons? All of these involve exposure to small airborne particles that are breathed in, so is it safe to assume that if a bird can safely eat it, they can safely breathe it in?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have been having the same question.

Are fragrant plants (ex: lavender or mint) safe? Can I boil orange peels or cinnamon or lemons? All of these involve exposure to small airborne particles that are breathed in, so is it safe to assume that if a bird can safely eat it, they can safely breathe it in?
Generally, yes. Boiling orange peels and cinnamon was in my first reply ;)

Small airborne particles of natural, safe items is generally safe. The problem is with synthetic fragrance oils and essential oils. Essential oils of even a safe plant is not always safe because of the concentration.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Generally, yes. Boiling orange peels and cinnamon was in my first reply ;)

Small airborne particles of natural, safe items is generally safe. The problem is with synthetic fragrance oils and essential oils. Essential oils of even a safe plant is not always safe because of the concentration.
Do you know how long to boil them? And do you use cinnamon sticks or cinnamon powder like the spice.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you know how long to boil them? And do you use cinnamon sticks or cinnamon powder like the spice.
Just until they are fragrant. I use sticks.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I too open up the windows frequently and have become a big advocate of vacuuming and mopping (robots are a wonderful thing). My favorite way to make the place smell good is a good old fashion batch of chocolate chip cookies...... or cinnamon rolls, or apple pie......

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bake a lot of desserts or breads :think1:

Rosa

Meeting neighbors
What about boiling vanilla bean???
I'm curious about this too, will be getting a bird shortly. (Been house prepping. Got rid of all my nonstick pans -except the Green-life ceramic brand -and going through all my cleaning products as well. I thought I read soy based candles and/or bees wax candles were safe? I could have sworn I saw them being sold in a bird store on-line...Now I'm going to go back and check and see where I saw them. I will re-post here if I find them and the experts can advise.:)

Rosa

Meeting neighbors
Just found them (the candles) King cages advertises them (you can google it- I didn't know if I was allowed to attach links. I'm relatively new to this site). Would these be considered safe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What about boiling vanilla bean???
I'm curious about this too, will be getting a bird shortly. (Been house prepping. Got rid of all my nonstick pans -except the Green-life ceramic brand -and going through all my cleaning products as well. I thought I read soy based candles and/or bees wax candles were safe? I could have sworn I saw them being sold in a bird store on-line...Now I'm going to go back and check and see where I saw them. I will re-post here if I find them and the experts can advise.:)
Boiling vanilla bean would also be safe.

The problem with "safe" candles is no one is taking into account that when you light a wick, the fire creates soot that you do not want in your bird's air sacs. Their respiratory systems are efficient to a fault; designed to process air that they inhale quickly and a lot of the things that our lungs expel get absorbed by birds, which is why things that are safe for humans are not safe for birds.

Soy based wax and bees wax IS safe. Burning it is not.

Not to mention the additional hazard of having a lighted flame! Birds are rather accident prone!

Rosa

Meeting neighbors
Boiling vanilla bean would also be safe.

The problem with "safe" candles is no one is taking into account that when you light a wick, the fire creates soot that you do not want in your bird's air sacs. Their respiratory systems are efficient to a fault; designed to process air that they inhale quickly and a lot of the things that our lungs expel get absorbed by birds, which is why things that are safe for humans are not safe for birds.

Soy based wax and bees wax IS safe. Burning it is not.

Not to mention the additional hazard of having a lighted flame! Birds are rather accident prone!
Ahhh yes, that makes sense. Not to get off topic but very quick question. I have cast iron pans that I just re seasoned and there is a strong smell when I do it. I've read that this was safe as well... but honestly the smell bothers me (no matter what oil/fat I've used it always has). I was concerned about this down the road - I mentioned to my husband I didn't understand how that smell could be ok for a bird. I live in south florida and could put the bird out on our Lanai in the cage when I have to do this in the future (screened in and has a roof). How long should the house air out before letting them back in? I have air purifiers but the smell still lingers a bit.