• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!

Mads

Checking out the neighborhood
One of my budgies hit the ceiling fan and now he can’t use one of his legs. I went to turn it off but i couldn’t turn it off in time. Unfortunately, the nearest vet is more than 2 hours away. What should I do???? I put him in a small travel cage with food and water and a towel to lay on. He is really drowsy but is for the most part acting like himself. I just don’t know what else to do.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please be on your way to the vet. Call them to explain what happened and to let them know your ETA so they can be ready for your arrival.

If you can safely speak to the vets office while someone else does the driving you can give them all your information so that they can see your bird immediately upon arrival. I know it’s stressful but stay calm Good luck.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you taken this unfortunate budgie to your vet yet? He will be in severe pain from this incident and possible significant blood loss.

Mads

There was no blood loss at all and there is no bruising on the bottom part of his leg. I hope that his upper leg isn't broken. As I said the closest vet that accepts birds is more than 2 hours away and I don't have my drivers license yet. I just graduated high school and am currently looking for a job so I don't have much money. Just an update though, he is acting much better and is able to stand up. I isolated him from my two other budgies so he can rest. If I can convince my parents to take him to the vet, I will. Thank you for all of your concern. I just hope my baby can push through a little longer.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Blood loss can include internal bleeding.

It does sound like your bird could really do with seeing the vet. I fully understand how difficult it can be when the vets who see birds are so far away....unfortunately most of us have to travel fair distances to see qualified AV’s.

Please do explain to your parents how awful it would be for your poor baby (or any creature) to deal with any sort of broken bone or serious injury without pain relief. Maybe they will help you out with the travel and finances till you’re more independent?

I wish you both luck :)

Mads

Thank you guys again for your concern. Although it will be difficult, I will try and convince them. I don't want anything else to go wrong. I'll update this thread again if anything changes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep monitoring him. Make sure he is eating and drinking and that there is no lethargy and that the leg is not swelling or showing any color changes (black, redness). Talk to your parents about bringing him to a vet. There might be a closer vet. You can do a search here:
Association of Avian Veterinarians
Hope all will be well.

Last edited:

Mads

Okay everyone! Good news! I know it has been a long time since I have been on here but I wanted to update on my little guy's condition. He is doing great and his injury has healed completely. His leg didn't break, it was just badly bruised. He is as hyper as every now :D