• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with nipping cockatiel - newish

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
Okay, so Theo is amazing! I've had him for like 3 maybe 4 weeks. I love him and I think we have a good relationship. He is finally talking to me sometimes and I'll imitate him and it can go on for a while, its super entertaining! Everytime I leave the room he chirps a little and I chirp back. Then he starts screaming non-stop. I've been trying to ignore it. It is getting kind of frustrating but I really don't care that much about the screaming, that's not the problem I'm worried about. I spend about 5-8 hours in the room with him everyday and he seems comfortable with me. So here's my problem.

He will step up, only if I have millet. Which is fine, its working okay - or so I thought. Now when I place my hand near he'll hiss sometimes and I'll move my hand away immediately. But then he chirps and moves closer, obviously wanting the millet. So I'll put my hand out and this time he'll happily get on my finger. Its weird and this is happening more lately. Also, when he is on my finger, if the millet is not close enough he goes crazy attacking my fingers. Not too hard, but it still hurts! I try to put him back on one of his perches but he always tries to fly back and usually falls or is very unsteady (he has clipped wings.) And sometimes the millet is super close but he decided anyways to go for my fingers! I set him back but I keep the training going (usually 5-10 minutes if that) so he knows that I won't leave him alone if he gets all nippy. I don't know what to do though, I feel like we're taking steps backwards instead of forwards and that's really frustrating. About 20% of the time I am getting nipped by him attacking me and I don't feel like there's a reason. He seems to love me but at the same time sometimes he hates me? I'm confused.

I don't think its puberty as he is only about 3 and a half months old, maybe closer to 4. Any suggestions to get him to stop nipping me? Its hurting and I feel like we're backtracking.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're rewarding the wrong behaviors.
When he hisses you move away.
When he bites you put him down.
Think carefully about what he wants, and if you're negatively rewarding him.
He could, also, be scared of hands. You might calm him down with some step-up stick/perch or arm training. Or even some other tricks like targeting that are more hands-off.
I don't know if he's old enough to be mature, but it is hormone season.
Good luck:) I hope I can help

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're rewarding the wrong behaviors.
When he hisses you move away.
When he bites you put him down.
Think carefully about what he wants, and if you're negatively rewarding him.
He could, also, be scared of hands. You might calm him down with some step-up stick/perch or arm training. Or even some other tricks like targeting that are more hands-off.
I don't know if he's old enough to be mature, but it is hormone season.
Good luck:) I hope I can help
That makes sense. Thank you for answering! What am I supposed to do when he's attacking my fingers like crazy? It hurts! I don't really want to just keep him on my hand while he's doing it, but I get what you're saying. I thought that maybe it was good I kept training him instead of just leaving him alone after he does it, but should I just keep him on my hand?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
That makes sense. Thank you for answering! What am I supposed to do when he's attacking my fingers like crazy? It hurts! I don't really want to just keep him on my hand while he's doing it, but I get what you're saying. I thought that maybe it was good I kept training him instead of just leaving him alone after he does it, but should I just keep him on my hand?
Hm, good point. If you can't find a way to distract him when he's biting (some people reccomend shaking your hand or blowing on him, but I don't think that's a good idea) maybe you could sent him down and turn your back to him for a minute? Depends if he wants to be left alone or not.
Postive reinforcement works better, so always try to reward calm, good behavior.:)

Faun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faun
First of all great job sticking with it and not giving up. This proves you care about your bird and are a person who wants to continue learning and growing.
If he's clipped he may feel unsteady and not as confident in his balance so make sure your hand placement is steady and close enough for him to not be reaching too far.
Also I would scale back on the treating with food and try using verbal reward and scratches if he accepts scrtaches. You dont want him to EXPECT treats and be demanding or "treat sour".
Try putting him in a time out as soon as he bites make sure this is a safe place (perch) but not back to his cage. Putting him back on his cage will reinforce dominance. Also try ensuring the time out perch is below your own eye level to prove to him you are the dominant flock member and misbehaving will lead to a lower position. Birds are prey animals and don't like being low to the ground.
Hope these ideas help but sounds like you are already doing great!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I actually do not believe their is such at thing as a dominant flock member. I have also never witnessed any difference in my birds behavior towards me and the things I ask him to do no matter what height he is at.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
First of all great job sticking with it and not giving up. This proves you care about your bird and are a person who wants to continue learning and growing.
If he's clipped he may feel unsteady and not as confident in his balance so make sure your hand placement is steady and close enough for him to not be reaching too far.
Also I would scale back on the treating with food and try using verbal reward and scratches if he accepts scrtaches. You dont want him to EXPECT treats and be demanding or "treat sour".
Try putting him in a time out as soon as he bites make sure this is a safe place (perch) but not back to his cage. Putting him back on his cage will reinforce dominance. Also try ensuring the time out perch is below your own eye level to prove to him you are the dominant flock member and misbehaving will lead to a lower position. Birds are prey animals and don't like being low to the ground.
What's treat sour?:geek:

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
I think he already very much expects treats. He doesn't accept scritches yet and he likes verbal rewards, but if he doesn't get the millet he is very angry and upset and demanding. Have I been doing this wrong?? I don't want him to always expect treats, I was hoping he'd "grow out of" needing them but maybe that's foolish thinking. That's the only way I can get him to step up though. Any ideas? And thank you for your answer, its given me a lot to think about!