• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with budgie

Cat194

Moving in
Hello so i am fairly new to owning budgies i currently have 2, one i think is female and one confirmed male, the 'female' one has a loss of feathers near her vent and has a slightly swollen abdomen (not red) i am freaking out, i am unable to get to a vet for a while (money problems) and was wondering if anyone can help. She has been pooping regularly and they look normal, she is eating and acting normal aside from a bit lame. The other budgie she is with is completely healthy and normal, please help. I also thought she might be egg bound but my budgies aren't hands on budgies so they stress when being handled and i dont want to stress her more so i am scared to inspect her. i will try and get photos. i didn't want them breeding as i am new to owning them so there are no nesting areas at all in their cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :)

Photos of the vent area and the general shape of your budgie may be helpful for those members who are more experienced with egg laying so they can help you better.

I hope that all will be ok with your bird and that other members will be along shortly to offer some help and advice.

Cat194

Moving in
I have noticed her vent is dirty as well and also witnessed her pooing whilst trying to take the pictures. And i forgot to add she would be just over a year old and has never had this issue nor laid any eggs ever. She is the white one in the photos the other is my male i have also moved them into a warmer room (bathroom). these are the only decent photos i could snap as she moves as soon as i go near her sorry. 20190226_162006.jpg 20190226_162654.jpg 20190226_162148.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I really hope some others will answer you soon.
She is not looking the best to me but I really don’t know what to advise.

@Lady Jane may be able to help with tagging some others for you or giving some advice to help her out.

I hope she will be alright.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello so i am fairly new to owning budgies i currently have 2, one i think is female and one confirmed male, the 'female' one has a loss of feathers near her vent and has a slightly swollen abdomen (not red) i am freaking out, i am unable to get to a vet for a while (money problems) and was wondering if anyone can help. She has been pooping regularly and they look normal, she is eating and acting normal aside from a bit lame. The other budgie she is with is completely healthy and normal, please help. I also thought she might be egg bound but my budgies aren't hands on budgies so they stress when being handled and i dont want to stress her more so i am scared to inspect her. i will try and get photos. i didn't want them breeding as i am new to owning them so there are no nesting areas at all in their cage.

You have several things going on that say your female is in need of medical attention beyond forum member advise, 1. swollen abdomen with some feather loss 2. lameness ?

possible egg binding
possible fatty tumor
lameness cause to be determined
Vent area looks like something is going on there

You know in your heart she needs professional medical care from avian vet. Do you have a Care Credit Card? If not please apply for one and you can go to a vet and place the cost on the Care Credit card to pay off without interest for as long as 1 year if needed.

My advice: Keep her very warm, separate her from the others in a comfortable cage (you will have to catch her). Get a bottle of apple cider vinegar with mother and make up one quart of clean water with 2 tsp of the vinegar and put it in her water just in case there is anything going on in GI tract. Most of all get her to an avian vet because if you wait she will get worse. @enigma731

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
A vet is the only one who can make a proper diagnosis. I will just say that her vent does not look good at the moment, so I do believe taking her to the vet is the best course of action. I'm sorry you're having money trouble at the moment, and I hope that you can get her to the vet as soon as possible. Lady Jane made some good suggestions.

Cat194

Moving in
Yes sorry i am i know vet is the way to go but i am unemployed and currently paying off a $4000 course so i am really strapped for any kind of money it breaks my heart that it is like this and i was hoping to try more things to help her at home, i dont have a credit card i have tried searching but as i am unemployed and only on government payments i doubt i will be accepted. she is still eating i gave her a little bit of strawberry (her favourite) and she ate it fine, she is a bit more active and grooms regularly. i have been keeping her warm and i will move her into a spare cage by herself. thank you i really appreciate the advice i am still trying to find money for a vet and i will keep you updated.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes sorry i am i know vet is the way to go but i am unemployed and currently paying off a $4000 course so i am really strapped for any kind of money it breaks my heart that it is like this and i was hoping to try more things to help her at home, i dont have a credit card i have tried searching but as i am unemployed and only on government payments i doubt i will be accepted. she is still eating i gave her a little bit of strawberry (her favourite) and she ate it fine, she is a bit more active and grooms regularly. i have been keeping her warm and i will move her into a spare cage by herself. thank you i really appreciate the advice i am still trying to find money for a vet and i will keep you updated.
Is there a possibility the vet will let you pay it off? If she has an egg in there then time is not on her side.
My vet has in the past allowed people in emergency situations to make a very small initial payment then pay the rest over the following weeks so the animal does not suffer or die unnecessarily.
Might be worth calling and asking?

Cat194

Moving in
@Shezbug i rang around to several different vets and unfortunately they only offer vet pay and because i am unemployed i do not qualify for, thank you for the suggestion.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you get the apple cider vinegar yet?