• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help With Budgie Mutation And Gender Please!!!

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys! Yes i did get my bird a week ago and hes/shes finally settling in. he/she is eating, playing with the toys, chirping, drinking and doing funny antics like wrestling the jingly toy! But i did get him/her rather young at 6 weeks (one month and 2 weeks) and so i wanted to ask what mutation and gender is he/she? i want to know really bady (curiosity i guess) i was told that different mutations have different ceres to indicate different genders so i was a little confused what to search for since i dont know the mutation. mutations are hard for me haha. so please help!
1. what mutation is he/she
2. what gender is he/she? im guessing a girl

its not a great photo and ill upload more later thanks guys!!

Attachments

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump. I'm not a budgie guy, so someone should be along to offer their input. From the pic, I'll take a shot in the dark and guess sky blue pied hen.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Bump. I'm not a budgie guy, so someone should be along to offer their input. From the pic, I'll take a shot in the dark and guess sky blue pied hen.
ok ill look into the recessive pieds! thanks :)

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Looks like a girl to me by the amount of white on the cere.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I want to lean towards an opaline pied blue male, myself. More pictures would help.

Dominant pied - males have blue ceres
Recessive pied - males have pink ceres

Not entirely accurate with young males though...

Niran Jay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Niran Jay
He/she seems to be between pied and opaline, though It seems more opaline , but the black and white wings look pied. Since its still a juvenile the adult colors won't grow in until he/she molts. After the molt you should also be a belt to tell the gender but it does look like a it could be a girl to me.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
i see hmm im leaning towards the girl gender because of the white rings? the other ones at the place i got penguin had fully pink ceres which looked like males to me (all 6 week old budgies)

Milestone

This is Minty at around 7 weeks old, notice how pink his cere is. Minty is Defiantly male. image.jpeg

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This is Minty at around 7 weeks old, notice how pink his cere is. Minty is Defiantly male. View attachment 243492
yea its really pink here! although my photo doesnt justify penguins irl cere colors haha. penguin's cere color is mostly pink with spots of pearly blue with white rings around the nostril hmmm... ive also heard that different mutations have different ceres indicating the genders?

Milestone

Yeah different mutations can. But with all female budgies no matter what mutation they will most likely have white or pearl blue around the nostrils.

I know photos never give the right impression. A lot of people thought Minty was a girl.

Your baby is sure cute by the way.:)

Last edited:

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yeah different mutations can. But with all female budgies no matter what mutation they will most likely have white or pearl blue around the nostrils.

I know photos never give the right impression. A lot of people thought Minty was a girl.

Your baby is sure cute by the way.:)
okay thank you! i will assume penguin is a girl for now :)

Milestone

Keep us updated on Penguin! That cere could could change in a few months. Some budgies like to lead us on.
:hehe: