• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! What to do when going on extended vacations?

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
Hi there. I live in the Buffalo, NY area and have a Sun Conure named Piper. My family and I go on vacation frequently I'd say, but it is usually only for a few days to a week, and we always get a family friend in the neighborhood to visit the house every day in order to change Piper's water and give him more food. However, since they don't really know how to handle birds themselves, and they're just a friend, not a paid worker, they don't play with him (he always bites strangers anyway), and they don't clean his cage.

However, my parents have been trying to go to China every summer (we used to go every other year) to visit their families because their own parents are getting old and they want to spend as much time as possible with them. Because of how expensive the trips are, the stress of planning them, and the 14+ hour plane ride, my parents would like to stay in China for 2 or more weeks. This year, they are planning to go for a full three weeks. I will not be home at the time either because I have to attend a summer college program and will be three hours away from home for 6 weeks, probably without a car and no other means to come home on the weekends.

I'm very uneasy about leaving Piper at home for more than 2 weeks, because last year we were gone for 2.5 weeks and when we got home Piper was acting extremely strange. He refused to come out of his cage, and when he did he would get spooked by something unknown and start flying around the house like a maniac, hurting himself in the process. We decided that it was unsafe to let him out and kept him in the cage, and he eventually started to become scared of us too. It took us a few weeks to earn his trust back and or him to start acting normally again, but even to this day, more than half a year later, he doesn't come out every day like he used to, and when he does (once a week if we're lucky), he can get scared pretty easily. We've already brought him to a vet about it but they didn't offer us any solutions.

After that incident, we installed a camera so we could check up on him if we were to ever leave again. Since then, we've gone on two vacations with no more incidents as severe as the China one, but probably only because the recent vacations were only around a week long. When we check up on him though, he's always just standing in the corner of his cage doing nothing.

I'm mostly worried about him not getting any outside stimulation for three weeks straight other than a few minutes each day and being extremely lonely. Also, I am terrified of having what happened last year happen to him again, since he still hasn't fully recovered. What should we do? We are looking into dropping him off at a bird hotel but I'm not sure if I fully trust them with my baby. I've been considering staying home for the first half of the college program, but both my parents and I agree that it would be a shame to miss such an opportunity.

What do you guys do when you go away for long periods of time?

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
I also agree it would be a shame for you to miss out on China. I am terribly jealous.

I am hoping to train a bird sitter to come over and dance with my birds every day (this is what the birds have determined they require daily). My birds like strangers though so maybe different. Would he be freaked out about the bird hotel or curious?

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I would try to find a pet sitter that is familiar with birds or who has birds to visit him each day. Since you have someone changing his food and water, the sitter would only need to visit once a day, which would help keep costs reasonable.
I would try looking at a site like care.com (where the sitters give short bios - you can look for one that mentions birds), or see if any nearby rescues or bird stores can recommend someone.

Or you might consider boarding him in someone's home if you can find someone you trust. One time I needed to board my GCC for a vacation and I contacted a nearby rescue and one of their volunteers was able to board her in her home for a donation to the rescue.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What do you guys do when you go away for long periods of time?

We don't do that and anyone with a solitary bird shouldn't be doing it either. It's one of those big sacrifices that are required if one is not going to put undue stress on a flock animal whose flock is planning on abandoning them for 3 weeks (in their mind).

If this isn't in accordance with what one of our wants is, Then it's up to us to make sure the other side is taken care of. If we can afford to travel to china then we should also be able to afford a professional pet sitter.

Last edited:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Whatever you decide to do, be sure you have every detail put in writing with both you and the caretaker having signed it and retaining a copy. Include contingency plans in case you are late getting back, or the bird needs a vet, the more information you can include the better. Plus while you are on your trip send emails for updates and include the date you will get back in at least one or two of them. If you are delayed for any reason also let them know and make sure they know you are not deserting the bird with them. I've heard so many stories where the owners couldn't get the bird back from rescues or people because they had nothing in writing there was no proof that they didn't give up the bird. There have also been instances where pet sitters thought the person was supposed to be back on a certain date so stopped services and the bird was left alone for a couple days without fresh food and water. All of these things could have been prevented had their been better documentation and communication.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I found a wonderful bird sitter on Care.com. I've been having her come over and spending time with my tiel on a regular basis. Sometimes she comes in the afternoon. Sometimes I have her come in the evening and put him to bed, etc. We haven't gone away yet but she's building a good relationship with my tiel so when we do, I think it will be minimally stressful for him.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
i found a great bird sitter at my vet's office. Joey loves her.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
We use a "live in" sitter when we go on vacation and it has worked out fine. The birds get their breakfast and dinner and tucked in at night, get to keep their usual routines and they seem no worse for the wear. Would your friend/neighbor be willing to learn how to give Piper a little more attention? You mentioned he tends to bite strangers... but would he come out on his own to play and voluntarily go back in being stepped up on a perch (so no biting) or with a bribe? One of my boys is stubborn about going in but a favorite treat in his bowl and he goes willingly without having to step him up. If your regular sitter will do it, since Piper already knows them, that would be the least stressful in my opinion. Offer to pay them for their time.

You might also look into a 2-way camera that can be accessed online. There are inexpensive systems that allow you to communicate!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
We trade ..if I go somewhere my mom stays home ...if she goes I stay ..it sucks sometimes like family affairs good and bad but its what we have to do because we have animals both furry and feathered ....like right now my grandma isnt doing good and I would love to go see her one more time but instead Im sending my mom and staying home ....sacrifices are made like this all the time for my animals ..its how we make things work at my house :D

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
We don't do that and anyone with a solitary bird shouldn't be doing it either. It's one of those big sacrifices that are required if one is not going to put undue stress on a flock animal whose flock is planning on abandoning them for 3 weeks (in their mind).

If this isn't in accordance with what one of our wants is, Then it's up to us to make sure the other side is taken care of. If we can afford to travel to china then we should also be able to afford a professional pet sitter.
This post is the definition of the truth hurts.

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel

Unfortunately we got Piper at a time when we didn't have to go away for more than a week. Now, my parents have extended their visits and stays in China because of the need to visit their families (we have no relatives in the states - everyone lives there). I am perfectly fine with staying home but I only had one opportunity to go to this summer college. So it's not like we are all just leaving for three weeks for a fun vacation.

I have been trying to convince my parents to atleast cut their trip short by as many days as possible or schedule it for when I come back from the summer college program. We have to look at all of our options first

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
I also agree it would be a shame for you to miss out on China. I am terribly jealous.

I am hoping to train a bird sitter to come over and dance with my birds every day (this is what the birds have determined they require daily). My birds like strangers though so maybe different. Would he be freaked out about the bird hotel or curious?
I'm not going to China, but I'm going to a summer school program to learn more about veterinary practices. And considering it's at Cornel (one of the top vet schools in the US), it is definitely an opportunty that I'd rather not miss.

And not sure about the bird hotel. He hasn't been around other birds since he was a baby (around 6 years ago).

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
Thank you all for the input! We will definitely consider contacting our vet/care.com etc.

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
Whatever you decide to do, be sure you have every detail put in writing with both you and the caretaker having signed it and retaining a copy. Include contingency plans in case you are late getting back, or the bird needs a vet, the more information you can include the better. Plus while you are on your trip send emails for updates and include the date you will get back in at least one or two of them. If you are delayed for any reason also let them know and make sure they know you are not deserting the bird with them. I've heard so many stories where the owners couldn't get the bird back from rescues or people because they had nothing in writing there was no proof that they didn't give up the bird. There have also been instances where pet sitters thought the person was supposed to be back on a certain date so stopped services and the bird was left alone for a couple days without fresh food and water. All of these things could have been prevented had their been better documentation and communication.
That is a very good point. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn't even think about that

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know this is a long shot but any chance of taking him with you at school? I know it would suck being in a travel cage all day but he would have the comfort of knowing your still there for him at the end of the day.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I'm not going to China, but I'm going to a summer school program to learn more about veterinary practices. And considering it's at Cornel (one of the top vet schools in the US), it is definitely an opportunty that I'd rather not miss.

And not sure about the bird hotel. He hasn't been around other birds since he was a baby (around 6 years ago).

That is a great opportunity! Congrats for getting into the summer program!! Maybe look for a bird sitter where you summer school will be so that you can also visit him regularly if not daily....call vets in that area or ask you summer school counselor/adviser.....being a vet school program they may know of some resources for bird care? Good luck!

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
I know this is a long shot but any chance of taking him with you at school? I know it would suck being in a travel cage all day but he would have the comfort of knowing your still there for him at the end of the day.
Hi! Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already considered the option and unfortunately the dorms that I'll be staying in have a strict no pet policy :(

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Hi! Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already considered the option and unfortunately the dorms that I'll be staying in have a strict no pet policy :(

I understand dorms no pet policy but check into boarding you bird in the same area you will be for schooling so you can visit as much as possible. There my be resources at local vets or a bird rescue able to board your bird or a private individual.......

rachelqiao

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
I understand dorms no pet policy but check into boarding you bird in the same area you will be for schooling so you can visit as much as possible. There my be resources at local vets or a bird rescue able to board your bird or a private individual.......
Oh yes that makes sense! I will look into it but for now I'm trying to find an option where he can stay at our house to avoid any anxiety or stress that could arise from being away because he has never been anywhere but our house before.

As of now I'm discussing with one of my very close friends whom I would trust with my life. She doesn't know how to handle birds but she loves animals so hopefully we can work something out for the trip.