• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help - sick lovebirds

meganshl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Meg
Hi, Can anyone advise on what I can do to help my poor lovebirds? The vet said it may not be PBDF because their beak and nails look ok. We gave them antibiotics to get rid of bacteria but it seems like the feather loss is getting worse quite rapidly. Is it possible it could be hormonal? Please let me know if you have any recommendations. They were fine for nearly a year and I noticed the feather loss about one month ago. Previously appeared healthy :'(
F50360B7-7A54-4500-9408-26487247C0FE.jpg IMG_9006.jpg IMG_2628.jpg IMG_9514.JPG

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
@Zara @Pixiebeak @Momo & Mido any ideas

my lovebird pico plucks his tail legs and back not sure if this is plucking unless your blue ones plucking the green ones head ? Do they share a cage ? Have you seen them preening each other ?
Do they bath much ?

I added more foraging toys and new toys for pico that helps to keep him from plucking as much

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would take them to the vet and get them tested, just in case. Lovebirds are often susceptible to feather issues and diseases.

Another possibility is that the blue bird is plucking the green one and plucking themself too. That is the bird I would be monitoring like a hawk. Though your best bet is to separate the birds. See if your green birds feathers come back over the next weeks and months.

The vet said it may not be PBDF because their beak and nails look ok
A test will give you better info. I have seen pictures of birds who look fine in the beaks and nails but have PBFD. Get a test for a concrete answer so you don 't waste time.

Fingers crossed it is something that can be corrected :fingerscrossed:

I see lots of pinnies on the blue bird to the left, so that is a good sign.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
If the vet "doesn't think" it's PBFD, then he should have recommended you have the test done right there and then so you know for sure. It's a very serious disease that will eventually kill your bird. You need to know! There are some signs that it could be plucking, but get the test done for peace of mind, and to know where your attentions need to be focused on your birds health.