• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!! Running out of pellets!

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
hello everyone!

i’ve run into a hefty problem...because of covid ( i feel like i’m saying that sentence all the time ) i am unable to ship Harrison’s pellets from the USA to Australia.

does anyone know of any suppliers inside of Australia? or perhaps something i could get here that is just as good as Harrison’s ( i’m having difficulty finding roudybush too, so other than that brand )

i need to find something soon, because i’m running out of pellets and i don’t want to think about what will happen when they do...

thank you!!!!!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Petshop Direct is the only one I can remember having Harrison’s, but they seem to be out as well.
Shez may know elsewhere to get it, I don’t use it so I can’t think of anywhere.
Pretty sure at the moment it’s extremely difficult to get Harrison’s, Top’s, and Roudybush.

What birds do you have? My budgies get Vetafarm, which is Australian so not likely to run out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I haven’t been able to get Roudybush for more than 2 years unfortunately.
I use Harrison’s but not as a main pellet- anything that’s shipped in I’ve noticed is often out of stock for lengthy times so I went back to vetafarm as the main pellet and I add a handful of Harrison’s, zupreeme, pretty bird or any other pellet I like the look of.
I’ll check my last purchases for Harrison’s in a minute and let you know if I’m but I’m almost certain I usually get them from pet shop direct.
Might be a good idea to consider getting your birds used to an Australian made pellet and just mixing the imported brands in at a lower amount or always having a few extra bags of imported pellet at home.
The Harrison’s never seem in stock for long same with some of the other well known brands. Roudybush was the same when I was able to get it and using it.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Petshop Direct is the only one I can remember having Harrison’s, but they seem to be out as well.
Pretty sure at the moment it’s extremely difficult to get Harrison’s, Top’s, and Roudybush.

What birds do you have? My budgies get Vetafarm, which is Australian so not likely to run out.
I use this too for my budgies :)

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors

i have a cockatiel! and i do know of a couple aussie brands that are okay, but none that come as highly recommended as harrison’s, roudybush or tops :(

i just want to give him the very best, but i’m learning that it’s actually quite difficult to do so in australia...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i do know of a couple aussie brands that are okay, but none that come as highly recommended as harrison’s, roudybush or tops
I think that if there are supply issues, then some of these local brands would be better than nothing, even if they are not your preffered choice.

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
I haven’t been able to get Roudybush for more than 2 years unfortunately.
I use Harrison’s but not as a main pellet- anything that’s shipped in I’ve noticed is often out of stock for lengthy times so I went back to vetafarm as the main pellet and I add a handful of Harrison’s, zupreeme, pretty bird or any other pellet I like the look of.
I’ll check my last purchases for Harrison’s in a minute and let you know if I’m but I’m almost certain I usually get them from pet shop direct.
Might be a good idea to consider getting your birds used to an Australian made pellet and just mixing the imported brands in at a lower amount or always having a few extra bags of imported pellet at home.
The Harrison’s never seem in stock for long same with some of the other well known brands. Roudybush was the same when I was able to get it and using it.
i also get them from pet shop direct. i wish there were more options for us aussies!
do you recommend any australian brands for cockatiels? preferably ones without those colourful, sugary ‘nuggets’. (i have no idea what to call them pfft-)

thank you for all your help!!

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
I think that if there are supply issues, then some of these local brands would be better than nothing, even if they are not your preffered choice.
oh 100%, something is always better than nothing! i wanted to ask just in case, because at least then i can say i tried my best! :)

if i’m being honest, the first couple of times i got harrison’s it was fully in stock, so i didn’t even know there was a supply problem-

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have just checked and both Northern Parrots and Scarlets Parrots Essentials in the UK have the full range of Harrisons in stock.

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
Have just checked and both Northern Parrots and Scarlets Parrots Essentials in the UK have the full range of Harrisons in stock.
THANK YOU!! i’ll go check it out and see if it’s possible :) it probably won’t be since it’s still out of australia, but you never know!
hopefully i can stock up, and get some aussie brands to mix in like the others suggested!

Last edited:

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
unfortunately, i don’t think i’ll be able to use these websites at the moment :(
shipping certain items from overseas into australia requires a license, and i will not be able to get said license.

thank you so, so, so much for suggesting them though!!! hopefully i can buy from there in the future :))

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I know it's difficult, but I highly suggest getting your bird accustomed to eating two brands of pellets for this reason.

Even though Mango is a picky eater, she does like Roudybush and Zupreem, so I'm less likely to run into this problem. I'd make sure that one of the pellet brands is a well-known, easy to find brand, even if it might not be your top choice.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Not sure if it would be any different than shipping from the USA, but lots of Canadian retailers have Harrisons in stock.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is not really cost effective to ship from overseas- I looked into it already for Roudybush, it also leaves you in the same situation with availability given that post delivery timeframes from overseas can be all over the place.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vetafarm!
My Macaw’s breeder feeds only vetafarm pellets. Every breeder I’ve spoken to lately uses it too. Not all vetafarm pellets are coloured- I think it’s only the nutriblend formula that is coloured.
My birds are more than happy to eat vetafarm (both coloured and not coloured), Vetafarm is the pellet I feed the most of. Mine actually prefer vetafarm over the extra expensive Harrison’s.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
It is not really cost effective to ship from overseas- I looked into it already for Roudybush, it also leaves you in the same situation with availability given that post delivery timeframes from overseas can be all over the place.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vetafarm!
My Macaw’s breeder feeds only vetafarm pellets. Every breeder I’ve spoken to lately uses it too. Not all vetafarm pellets are coloured- I think it’s only the nutriblend formula that is coloured.
My birds are more than happy to eat vetafarm (both coloured and not coloured), Vetafarm is the pellet I feed the most of. Mine actually prefer vetafarm over the extra expensive Harrison’s.
:agreed:
I actually went through and researched trying to find a good pellet to convert my new bird to, I came all the way back to Vetafarm (Maintenance or Parrot Essentials) I only found one other pellet that I would’ve liked but it was too expensive for me and an imported one.