• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me please before I make a mistake on which bird to get!

Which do you think

• Total voters

Br0wnb1rd

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria Wyatt
So I already have two barely tamed budgies who are more bonded together then me I love them to death even though they bite me but i recently became interested in owning another bird. I either wanted a lovebird or a green cheek conure. I’m leaning more on the gcc side but I need a bird that’s more on the quiet side it doesn’t have to be all the time but it can’t be screaming 7 hours a day (I would like the bird that is quieter though but I know it really depends on the bird).I wasn’t planning on keeping it in the same room as my budgies and I’m a college student so I can’t be around all day but I have time in the morning to play and after 3. Plus my mom is always home playing with my birds if they really wanted attention. I’ve done research on both,I just need help deciding which bird is right for me !

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
It is my understanding that gcc's are on the quieter side when it comes to conures, but I don't know if that will be as quiet as you need. Maybe someone who has a gcc could chime in on this? Have you considered a cockatiel? My boys are fairly quiet and are a joy to be around! Of course they whistle quite a bit, but it's very pleasant to listen to. Barley, my louder boy, only screams maybe once a week and even that is at a manageable volume.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah when they say green cheeks are quiet, they mean in comparison to sun conures I think :lol: The only noise complaint I ever got about birds screaming was from a green cheek.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you interacted with either of these types of birds? I think that's the best way to tell. I just spent the afternoon with 2 GCCs. I thought their chirps were adorable. My friend who I was with said the chirps drove him crazy. So people's tolerance to different sounds varies. (I also live with a cockatoo. So.....) I don't consider GCCs "quiet" birds though.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I didn't get the impression that GCCs were quiet. However, I've never met one.

@Zara can weigh in on lovebirds, I know some of hers have picked up some lovely noises! :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I know some of hers have picked up some lovely noises! :lol:
Lovely noises she says... :rofl:

But in all seriousness, when I only has Sydney, he was very quiet. He is that perfect bird most people seek, he really is. He still is quiet. But all my other lovies are noisy. It really hammers home ¨each bird is different¨ :)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Lovebirds are normally little chatter boxes, especially if they hear other birds. Green cheeks would be quieter than a lovebird on a daily basis. A greencheek will be louder than a lovebird imo, I have heard some mimicking a sun conure pretty darn good. IMO, gcc are less challenging than a lovebird although both can be biters. I think lovebirds are more stubborn. I personally would never own a gcc, i call them the little jerks of the conure world lol but that is just my personal opinion. But with a lovebird, you have to be prepared for seasonal hormones. If you decide to get a lovebird and don't have a whole lot of bird experience, a male would probably be best. Females can be a bit more challenging but they can be sweet.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To be honest Jeff and Mabel have their moments too. Jeff has started staging a daily protest where he will shriek loudly until I replace his veg with seeds.

I'd worry that he wasn't eating his veg, but as soon as I leave the room I catch the bugger stuffing his face!

Br0wnb1rd

Real Name
Victoria Wyatt
Lovebirds are normally little chatter boxes, especially if they hear other birds. Green cheeks would be quieter than a lovebird on a daily basis. A greencheek will be louder than a lovebird imo, I have heard some mimicking a sun conure pretty darn good. IMO, gcc are less challenging than a lovebird although both can be biters. I think lovebirds are more stubborn. I personally would never own a gcc, i call them the little jerks of the conure world lol but that is just my personal opinion. But with a lovebird, you have to be prepared for seasonal hormones. If you decide to get a lovebird and don't have a whole lot of bird experience, a male would probably be best. Females can be a bit more challenging but they can be sweet.
This was very helpful

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I have three GCCs. They are not very loud. They do call for each other or me sometimes, but then that is not all that loud either. I am home all day, that probably helps.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Conures and budgies and budgies with lovebirds may not work together. Your best bet is same species.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a lovebird and a black capped conure, which is very similar to a green cheek. My lovebird chatters all day and my conure makes all kinds of weird noises when he's playing but when he wants my attention? He has this ear piercing bark. :eek:We're trying to break that habit. It's way louder than anything my lovebird has to say. Both are really bonded to me but my conure is definitely more demanding.

I do agree with Dianne though, lovebirds are definitely more aggressive than budgies or conures. My lovebird has to have separate flight time because she's a bully. I also have two linnies who she loves to taunt, although she's oddly in love with the one... Linnies are very quiet birds, and very sweet, however they are usually hand shy and can have hot tempers. Mine are afraid of my other birds.

So a species that is typically more laid back is probably a better choice. If you are set on other than budgie my first thought is cockatiel, but, there have been instances. Have you looked into an English budgie?

Br0wnb1rd

Real Name
Victoria Wyatt
I have a lovebird and a black capped conure, which is very similar to a green cheek. My lovebird chatters all day and my conure makes all kinds of weird noises when he's playing but when he wants my attention? He has this ear piercing bark. :eek:We're trying to break that habit. It's way louder than anything my lovebird has to say. Both are really bonded to me but my conure is definitely more demanding.

I do agree with Dianne though, lovebirds are definitely more aggressive than budgies or conures. My lovebird has to have separate flight time because she's a bully. I also have two linnies who she loves to taunt, although she's oddly in love with the one... Linnies are very quiet birds, and very sweet, however they are usually hand shy and can have hot tempers. Mine are afraid of my other birds.

So a species that is typically more laid back is probably a better choice. If you are set on other than budgie my first thought is cockatiel, but, there have been instances. Have you looked into an English budgie?
I already have had different species in the past because I usually foster budgies, doves and smaller birds and just wanted to venture out into getting a bird a bit bigger and somewhat “more” intelligent. I’ll look into getting a cockatiel though because it’s been recommended so much

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My lovebird chatters all day and my conure makes all kinds of weird noises when he's playing but when he wants my attention? He has this ear piercing bark. :eek:We're trying to break that habit. It's way louder than anything my lovebird has to say.
I have Merlin the green cheek here. He has decided he likes to copy Charlie, the mitred conure's squawk. It's so NOT loud, it's cute! Like, you think you can be as loud as Charlie? Sorry Merlin, you just don't compare! :rofl:

I thought my first conure, a cherry head, was loud. Then I met Charlie! My definition of loud changed! :lol: That said, I'd take a red headed's scream over a sun, jenday or gold cap any day!!!!

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
The only drawback to cockatiels os that if you have asthma their dander will kill you. I had to rehome our three after over a year of illness. Oh, and they do love to mimic. Someone taught them a car alarm before we got the. Yes, all three did it! Oh, and because of hearing problems I cannot stand whistling,, and they can whistle!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I usually foster budgies, doves and smaller birds and just wanted to venture out into getting a bird a bit bigger
Neither lovebirds nor GCCs are bigger than a dove.

and somewhat “more” intelligent
Don´t underestimate how intelligent a budgie can be. They can be taught all sorts of neat tricks and some even have very large vocabularies.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The really key issue is what you intend to do after college, and whether you'll have time for all of your birds then. A GCC could be with you for the next 25 years - you could be in your mid-forties and they'll still be with you. The first few years after graduation can be tough as you try to establish yourself in a career, perhaps do further education or training, perhaps move around for work and live independently, and form new friendships and relationships. It's difficult enough doing these things without a parrot in tow. There will be a time when you're more settled and have a better idea of what your life looks like, and whether you can create space for a bird in it.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don´t underestimate how intelligent a budgie can be. They can be taught all sorts of neat tricks and some even have very large vocabularies.
Oh my gosh, so true. Proof of this is all over youtube. Holy moly there are some smarty pants budgies.

I wish I could find that video of a budgie wearing a red scarf running away from 2 small dogs and pausing and turning every once in a while to say "Peekaboo!" Anyone remember seeing that? I need to bookmark it.