• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Looking for new cage for Budgie/Parakeet

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi I’m looking for a new cage for my sister (parakeet) Kony but I am a bit stuck on what to get. I tried visiting pet stores around where I live but they are all empty as if they were raided. I could not find a cage at the store and now I’m worried on what to get. I don’t have a big budget to spend on it but I don’t want to get a cheap cage that could contain toxic things like lead or a powder coating I’ve heard so much about. Normally her cages are white and the two that she has had all came from pet stores. The current one she has is white but is showing signs of rust. Its approximately 14.5 inches tall (18.8 if you include pooping area), 15.6 inches wide. and around 14 inches long. Her cage is a square shape. I’m trying to find her a bigger one but not a crazy tall one since she has a history with seizures and when they happen, she tends to fall to the bottom of the cage. With that in mind I don’t want a tall one out of fear that she might fall and hurt herself. I don’t know where to really look seeing as there are so many links and different cages but I don’t know what they are made out of or if they are safe. I could really use some advice or recommendations on good, safe, bird cages that are at a reasonable price (below 50 dollars ideally). Also, I wash her cage by using the hose on a very soft setting and I wet the bottom to get the poop out so I’m ideally looking for cages that wont rust or damage due to water. I know stainless steel is the most preferred material to go with but all the stainless-steel cages are either too expensive or way too large. I have yet to find one at a good size and price. Please help me out, any info would be a big help.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Here’s a thread for safe cages. Usually you can get these cages in various country’s.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don’t want a tall one out of fear that she might fall and hurt herself.
below 50 dollars ideally)
This is perfect for you:
I had one for a special needs lovebird. It would be a good fit for your seizure prone bird. Maybe line the bottom with some non pilling fleece to soften any falls.
If you choose something else from the site for 2 dollars, you will qualify for free shipping and still be under 50 dollars :)

I wash her cage by using the hose on a very soft setting and I wet the bottom to get the poop out so I’m ideally looking for cages that wont rust or damage due to water
The trick with this is to let the cage dry properly. You can tilt it and leave it to dry for a few hours in the sun or in the tub while you allow some flight time for your bird :)

redrose27

Strolling the yard
This is perfect for you:
I had one for a special needs lovebird. It would be a good fit for your seizure prone bird. Maybe line the bottom with some non pilling fleece to soften any falls.
If you choose something else from the site for 2 dollars, you will qualify for free shipping and still be under 50 dollars :)

The trick with this is to let the cage dry properly. You can tilt it and leave it to dry for a few hours in the sun or in the tub while you allow some flight time for your bird :)
Thanks, this cage is perfect, I compared its size to some other options and my sisters (kony my bird) current cage it’s the perfect fit. It’s not too tall and its longer so I can fit more toys in it so she can get more exercise like the vet said (he also recommended a longer cage so this fits all the vet’s tips he gave me). She has a fatty tumor and we don’t have many areas where we like to have her flying around freely in the house out of fear of her hurting herself so this cage gives her a lot of room to play and exercise in to make up for it. There is one thing though It does not say what the material is (it says N/A). So, I am curious if the material it’s made out of is bird safe. If you happen to know that would be great. I don’t know how long these cages last I checked the reviews and haven’t seen anything about it so if you happen to know that would also be great. I tend to dry the current cage with paper towels and it seems to work fine so I think it would be safe to do the same with this one? The reviews also say that it’s a bit flimsy as in like the stick/perches might not be the right size or it’s hard to clean the bottom, some say it arrived with chipped paint but I think its fine since it says its covered by a 90 day warranty so if anything I think I can just exchange it for the same thing. (I’m new at shopping for bird cages online so I might sound like a noob.) I think to clean it it has a pull out tray If I’m not mistaken. Sorry if this seems like rambling or a ton of questions, I’m just really a noob at this stuff.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
This is perfect for you:

I actually called Prevue and they found out what the cage is made out of its a powder coated cage (non toxic coating) and underneath that powder coat it says its made of steel. We are assuming this means stainless steel. But im not sure if steel and stainless steel are two different things. Im going to look into if steel is toxic for birds or not.

Edit: I looked it up and apparently steel is safe but rust when introduced to water.....I clean the cages by using water so kinda a face palm here. But the cage seems to be the same thing Im using now and my current cage has only shown rust in the edges so I think it will be fine since its got a powder coat (the white) so I dont think the cage will rust very quickly. (The cage I currently have now has lasted me about 6 years.) So I think the cage is safe since under the powder coat is steel but the water cant get to the steel if the powder coat is on top so as long as I am careful with the coat I think it will be fine. They said the coat has no lead or zinc in it so its safe to use.

Last edited:

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
Yes, what is up with all the cages being out of stock?! I was looking for a Vision cage for my second Lovebird to match my first so they could sit side-by-side and be identical, but I couldn't find one anywhere to the point where I started to worry that it had been discontinued! I ended up ordering from an eBay seller in the US (naturally I then found one at a store 45 minutes away which I ALSO bought in case the one being shipped didn't make it in one piece.. so now I have two :bored: ). I've tried various cages and have settled firmly on the Hagen Vision cages because they make bird-keeping mess-free.

This one on Amazon is a BARGAIN right now at $52.79 (although it says just one left) ... you could leave-off the extra panels that increase the height so it's just a single-storey cage to accommodate for the seizures (it still ends up being cheaper than buying the shorter M01):

I can clean my Vision top to bottom in less than 30 minutes once a week (with a quick wipe-down of toys/perches mid-week if they're getting nasty). It contains all the feathers and other mess that most cages don't so we're able to have the birds in the Family Room with us without worrying the couch will become covered in bird mess. Love it so much!

Guava123

Walking the driveway
There's the A and E flight cage, but it costs 178.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
HQ flight cage. Costs 200 bucks. ElleAndTheBirds has it and her birds are doing fine, no metal poisoning, though they don't tend to chew on cage paint.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
I actually called Prevue and they found out what the cage is made out of its a powder coated cage (non toxic coating) and underneath that powder coat it says its made of steel. We are assuming this means stainless steel. But im not sure if steel and stainless steel are two different things. Im going to look into if steel is toxic for birds or not.

Edit: I looked it up and apparently steel is safe but rust when introduced to water.....I clean the cages by using water so kinda a face palm here. But the cage seems to be the same thing Im using now and my current cage has only shown rust in the edges so I think it will be fine since its got a powder coat (the white) so I dont think the cage will rust very quickly. (The cage I currently have now has lasted me about 6 years.) So I think the cage is safe since under the powder coat is steel but the water cant get to the steel if the powder coat is on top so as long as I am careful with the coat I think it will be fine. They said the coat has no lead or zinc in it so its safe to use.
Stainless steel would cost thousands of dollars, so it's steel.