• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!! IS HE SERIOUSLY SICK OR JUST MOLTING?!

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Hey, I'm talking about Norman, my a little over 2yrs old budgie. He's a boy.

He's always been a bird that molts a lot, but it was light shedding for the most part. I can't remember exactly when, but he stopped molting. He was normal other than that. Just like 2 or so days ago he's been losing feathers and hasn't hardly talked. This afternoon, though...

This afternoon, he looked pretty ragged like any molting budgie would. I picked him up since I was worried, and he pooped very dark green that was slightly loose. This isn't normal droppings for him, they're usually like light green or lime? And suddenly he started regurgitating whole seeds and flicking his head around. He did it again a bit later on, but this time with a bit more liquid on the side of his beak from it.

He's been sleeping on and off since, and he woke up just now, regurgitating yet again. By the way, he's on an all-seed diet.

Can someone help?! I'm really worried and I can't afford a vet.. I did talk with one and they said it might be hormonal issues plus molting, but it's just so strange!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Flicking the head back and forth is usually vomiting, not regurgitating. Vomiting is involuntary and not related to hormones.

It is really hard to know what could be causing it, as many illnesses have similar symptoms, and each have their own treatment. He could have a virus, he could have a crop infection.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Flicking the head back and forth is usually vomiting, not regurgitating. Vomiting is involuntary and not related to hormones.

It is really hard to know what could be causing it, as many illnesses have similar symptoms, and each have their own treatment. He could have a virus, he could have a crop infection.

Attachments

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
I couldn't get a good view with my flash, but his poop is very dark green, not much urates but very loose. How is it vomitting if there's whole seeds? I thought it'd be more liquidy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe this will help you some.

international-cockatiel-resource-bird-pee-guide.jpg 01bb64_e596cb3aa4ee48d19b07166c1bc9de87_mv2.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I couldn't get a good view with my flash, but his poop is very dark green, not much urates but very loose. How is it vomitting if there's whole seeds? I thought it'd be more liquidy.
Because birds store food in their crop first before it moves further down to be digested. Certain diseases can actually cause them to poop undigested seed, too.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Because birds store food in their crop first before it moves further down to be digested. Certain diseases can actually cause them to poop undigested seed, too.
Makes sense.. He has been eating quite a bit like he can't get some down..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He could have a crop infection or impaction. I would bet it is not molting or hormonal related. I would look into Care Credit or some other form of credit, or borrow money from a relative if you have to, to get him to the vet. A lot of the home remedies you might find will just waste time he might not have.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
I will try and look into some form of credit. I'm a minor, and I've not got a job. My family really doesn't have much, and we don't know much people. All vets near me are closed since it's night, but they don't aid avians anyways. I contacted an avian vet an hour away and they said the earliest he could see them is Friday... I'm afraid he won't last till Friday..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Friday is only 2 days away. Don't lose hope. I understand things are difficult when you aren't in control of the situation. My bird vet is also an hour away; the only certified avian vet in my state is over 3 hours. Explain your concerns to your family and see if there are ways you can offer to help out around the house in exchange for the money they will need to spend. See if the avian vet you talked to can give you an estimate for a checkup, gram stain, and crop swab over the phone so you have a ballpark figure to give your parents.

If they won't help, see if there are any rescues or shelters that may provide assistance.

All you can do is try.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Yeah, it really is difficult. Been sobbing all day. Thanks for the kind words. I can't speak with my avian vet at the moment since they're closed and it's night, but all I know for payments is that it's 45$ only to be seen. I found a vet that might aid avians nearby, so we'll see if we can get him in tomorrow. Praying

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Much love to you and Norman! Hugs.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
We all care. We just don't always know what advice to give in medical situations.
But we here we know what the love of a parrot means. We know how very stressful it is to have them unwell.
Mizzely is very knowledgeable im glad she could help you.
Let us know how things go ok?
:sadhug2:

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
We all care. We just don't always know what advice to give in medical situations.
But we here we know what the love of a parrot means. We know how very stressful it is to have them unwell.
Mizzely is very knowledgeable im glad she could help you.
Let us know how things go ok?
:sadhug2:
Of course, I'm very greatful for the help and support. I'll update as soon as possible.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Update: Norman has been a lot better today. He's talking, hasn't vomitted/regurgitated but he has cleared his crop. He's active, even got mad at me today for leaving the room. His poop/stool is gradually turning back to normal. Still a little dark and a little loose. Literally the only vets around us that see birds said they didn't have their avian vet in today. One didn't even call back when they asked to call us later. The one avian vet we talked to that lives an hour away has us scheduled for tomorrow. I will keep ya'll updated

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Update #2: So sorry for the long response, it's been hectic. So we couldn't go to the vet because my mom fell sick. We rescheduled. Then the vet called in saying SHE was sick, and has us scheduled NEXT week, on Friday. Highly upsetting, but okay... Well, he's been fine for the most part. He got a little bit of a bald patch at the top of his head. Not french molt! Just a rough one At the moment he looked like a pin feathered mess, but it's good! Means his feathers are growing in. His poop has still remained a tiny bit loose. Sometimes, though, his urates will almost be gone and there will be quite a bit of urine. He had one a little while ago. Also, his poop is oddly pale? His urates & urine are fine at the moment, but his poop is like almost white? Not 100%, it has a bit of yellow/brown/green tint to it, so like idk, an extremely light pastel color? He seems to be very picky with his seeds right now, so maybe his poop just changed colors because of that? (NOTE: VET VISIT NEXT FRIDAY HOPEFULLY, WE DO PLAN TO CHANGE HIS ONLY-SEED DIET TO MAYBE PELLETS? +VEGGIES/FRUITS BUT COSTS ARE HIGH AT THE MOMENT, WE'RE TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
A poop pic will help