• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!!! Bird sneezing after medication??

Selin

Moving in
PLZ HELP!!

I have been giving my tiel an oral medication for 1 week because he had blood in his droppings, which is now gone!

HOWEVER, a few days ago, my tiel started violently sneezing at night, every hour I'd say and it has been going on since. He seems to be fine during the day, he dances, sings, gives me kisses so his behavior is normal to me. Maybe the medication has gone through his nostrils?

I called the vet today and he said it's unlikely and just told me to continue giving him the medication in his mouth but I'm scared??? + he's on vacation so I can't see him

Is there a way to stop the sneezing at home?? Should i give the medication on his food?? Can it lead to pneumonia if not treated!? PLZ HELP

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sorry you have a sick baby. I stress out myself with anything is up with mine .

I'm glad he is doing well during the day.

What medication is he on? How long has been on it? And what was believe to cause blood in stool?

Selin

Moving in
It's called Baytril and he has been on it for 10 days I believe, the bleeding stopped even before I gave him the medication though (we still don't know what could have caused it). My concern is more onto the sneezing now!!

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Birds do have a slit through the roof of their mouth, called the choanal cleft. Maybe he got some medication up his nose when you gave him the syringe full?
I know every once in a while my clumsy Quaker gets water up his nose while drinking from his water bottle. I’m sure I would, too.

Selin

Moving in
Yes this is probably what happened.. Even though my vet told me it's impossible for them to get some in their nose so i don't know what to believe anymore?

I put him in the shower with me to help relieve the sneezing and maybe some of the dryness in his nose... My vet told me I couldn't anything apart from waiting

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Baytrul almost always causes a secondary yeast overgrowth. Might think need a round of antifungal now like Nystatin ...

I will see if I can find the article

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Here you go.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
What about supplying bene-bac for birds? Has this been proven to reduce secondary yeast infection?
I know my drs tell me to use to human equivalent if I’ve taken antibiotics.

Selin

Moving in
Thank you so much. Seems pretty dangerous indeed.. I've been giving him the medication on his nutriberries for a few days now (I've only done it orally 4 times) but I don't think I will continue on giving him...

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would really suggest you give all the doses recommended by your vet. And I would give the medication orally and not onto a nutriberry. You don’t know that your bird is actually consuming all the nutriberry. My birds pick out the seeds and drop the pellets from the berry.
If you don’t finish the medication the bacteria that has not been killed will regrow and possibly be resistant to Baytril as well.

Selin

Moving in
Is there a way to make sure he doesn't get any in his nose then?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
He shouldn’t be getting it in his nose, but if he does it won’t make him sick.

Selin

Moving in
I read somewhere that having things stuck in his nose and sneezing constantly could lead to pneumonia? It may be wrong though.

If it's not the case then I will continue giving the medication

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If the bird is sick and you ignore his sneezing, he could get worse and get pneumonia.

but if he gets some sterile medication up his nose that’s a different story. It’s a really bad idea to stop antibiotics early. This is how antibiotic resistant infections are begun.
And bloody poops are very concerning. I would want to resolve that infection.

Selin

Moving in
I will do that but I have to wait until the vet is back to get his nose checked up.

Thank you so much